<solved> Debian 10 - firmware missing; no network

Morning Alex,

I just got up a few minutes ago. Just clicked on a torrent, opened it, and got uTorrent to download it. From looks of it it's going to take about 1-1/2 hrs.

Also, which is easier: Etcher, or terminal commands for flashing my USB drive?

Etcher has a good following among members..

Also you may want to go with Debian 11 which will go stable on Aug 14th as announced here.
Debian release I find personally Etcher to be easier.

Happy Saturday everyone,

Now a new obstacle rears its ugly head:

I get the error msg

/tmp/.mount_balenaldXdVu/balena-etcher-electron: line 10: 2114 Segmentation fault "${script_dir}"/balena-etcher-electron.bin "$@" --no-sandbox

Never a dull moment eh?? Lol

Happy Saturday everyone,

Now a new obstacle rears its ugly head:

I get the error msg

/tmp/.mount_balenaldXdVu/balena-etcher-electron: line 10: 2114 Segmentation fault "${script_dir}"/balena-etcher-electron.bin "$@" --no-sandbox

Never a dull moment eh?? Lol
Generally this error is caused by Etcher not having root access in the tmp folder - make sure sudo is installed and configure Etcher to have root access - you can right click the Etcher AppImage and select properties then make sure the check is in the block "allow this file to run as a program" make sure the Owner and Group have read and write access

I'm in no way well-versed in Linux (it's a learning WIP)
Just so you are aware - Debian does Not like to include proprietary, closed source, non-free software in it's distribution. The lack of Wi-fi drivers may be just the tip of the iceberg. Which is 'O.K.' - if you are willing to wrestle with your installation to get everything working. Otherwise a distro which includes "non-free" software ( drivers, etc. ) may be more desirable.

i think Debian tries to be GNUthical but that it does release iso with the none free bits at least the live version i used was no problem with wifi.

Ok everyone,

This is where it's gotten tricky.
Going through the installation process, got stuck in the partition section.

Here's what I've got rn:

LVM VG debian-vg, LV root - 158.5 GB Linux device-mapper (linear)
> #1 158.5 GB f ext4 /opt

LVM VG debian-vg, LV swap_1-1.0 GB Linux device-mapper (linear)
> #1 1.0 GB F swap swap

SCSI3 (0,0,0) (sda)-160.0 GB ATA ST9160823AS
> #1 primary 510.7 MB F ext2 /boot
> #5 logical 159.5 GB K lvm

SCSI5 (0,0,0) (sdb) - 124.6 GB General USB Flash Disk

> #2 primary 2.1 MB
> #5 logical 123.6 GB f ext4 /
> #6 logical 1.0 GB F swap swap

Can you tell idk wtf I'm doing?? *hysterical laughter*

So folks, how do I solve this Gordian knot?

Yeowch!!!

I musta accidentally done something to my USB drive, because I tried installing it over again and kept getting an error msg saying it couldn't find the installation CD.

The only things I have left are a terminal window, a USB drive, USB cable, and the copy of the ISO on my Android phone. HELP!

I'm in no way well-versed in Linux (it's a learning WIP) but am familiar with a few terminal commands, such as apt-get and so on.

Been downloading, installing and playing with different flavours of Linux to see which one fit me. Started with Ubuntu; went on to Mint, Kali, Zorin, and now Debian. Debian for some odd reason is the only 1 I've used so far that doesn't automatically come with internet drivers.
If I were you I'd find someone you know and download either Linux Lite or Linux Mint and create a bootable usb.

Let the installer install the partition on the the hard drive and install the Linux distro as it's just easier.

I recommend using one of those distros until you become more familiar with Linux and then start to distro hop.

Debian is an excellent Linux distro however it is more geared for a user who is more experienced with Linux then the new to Linux user.

You posted.

"I'm in no way well-versed in Linux"

and

"Started with Ubuntu; went on to Mint, Kali, Zorin, and now Debian. Debian for some odd reason is the only 1 I've used so far that doesn't automatically come with internet drivers."

Start with one of these Linux Lite or Linux Mint and learn some Linux how to.

I went to the main page for Linux Lite and I wasn't able to find a 32-bit .iso.

I did however; find a 32-bit .iso for Linux Mint 18.

Here's more 32-bit versions of Linux Mint 20:

Th
I went to the main page for Linux Lite and I wasn't able to find a 32-bit .iso.

I did however; find a 32-bit .iso for Linux Mint 18.

Here's more 32-bit versions of Linux Mint 20:

Thx Alex,

I found Tricia Linux mint by myself.
Am torrenting it as we speak.

Th

Thx Alex,

I found Tricia Linux mint by myself.
Am torrenting it as we speak.
Hi,
Unfortunately Linux Mint 18 reached end of life in April of this year and you will not find security support and the repositories will be shut down soon so you will not even be able to install new programs. It's not a good choice for starting out.
I would suggest you download MX linux it should work well for you and has a ton of support. Based directly on debian so you learn some of that distro also. find it here. MX

Staff online