[Solved] Disable Power Save settings for display in Ubuntu Studio 20.04 LTS?

rgbellotti

Reaction score
Credits
not sure why but with this specific OS, the screen will go blank after about 4 minutes, and I have to move the mouse to resume the display. Even when I adjust the settings in the system options, it still does this regardless. I've set it to one hour or even "never", and it still just does the same thing. Kind of annoying if I'm watching a video on youtube for example and the screen goes blank mid-video. I've tried both changing the settings with the common menu options, and also went into the "settings editor" and tried entering in longer time periods for the blank screen, but none of it seems to affect the behavior, and the screen blanks out quickly when I'm reading or anything that doesn't involved mouse/keyboard input.

Is there some other way I could bypass or override this behavior? Ultimately I'd like to have it dim the screen eventually (like 15-20 minutes or something) just to prevent accidentally leaving it on all night, but the quick duration it has right now is not so great.

If it makes any distinction, I'm running it on a laptop that is being used like a tower and connected to an external monitor with an HDMI cable

These threads look like a place to start.

This solution looks like the most promising to me. Tho, it's for Ubuntu 18.04 it should work for Ubuntu 20.04, I'd think:-

Ubuntu Power Management:

Hope that helps.

Have you also disabled the screensaver?
I seem to recall having to disable two separate settings in order to prevent the screen blanking.

Glad it's sorted. That will resolve all your power management woes but completely removing them.

As an aside, I have no idea why a 'server' release had power management enabled. I am guessing that it was overlooked in testing.

I can imagine, with all the different releases and interchangeable features. And yes, I was glad that the solution can be masked/unmasked with one terminal line, so I don't have to disable it altogether. Fixed the issue and helped me understand a little more about what approaches to look for in the future

I can imagine, with all the different releases and interchangeable features. And yes, I was glad that the solution can be masked/unmasked with one terminal line, so I don't have to disable it altogether. Fixed the issue and helped me understand a little more about what approaches to look for in the future
Can you share what you did that worked?

Can you share what you did that worked?

The link has commands to mask all the power management services. The reason we mask them is because you may someday want to enable them (albeit not likely so on a server install).

Members online

Latest posts