[SOLVED] Dual Boot windows 10 with Fedora 34 with EFI and disabled Secure Boot

TheProf

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,

I am hoping someone can assist me. I am dual booting Fedora 34 with Windows 10 and I seem to be having an odd issue that I cant figure out.

I currently have two separate disks where one has Windows and the other has Fedora 34. Fedora is on an nvme drive and windows is on a SATA SSD. I installed Windows first and then followed by Fedora. The boot loader displays both Windows / Fedora correctly and I can easily boot to either of the OS. However, when I boot into Fedora, I only see a gray screen with the clock on the top menu and the power buttons to restart the OS. I do not see the login prompt where I can enter my password.

I was able to successfully perform the initial setup where you create the user account, but upon reboot, the login screen is just empty with no prompt for me to sign in.

I have not installed any GPU drivers, and have not done any updates to the OS, this is a fresh install.

Not really sure why this is happening, but figured I'd ask in case some folks have experience this before.

Thanks!

what happens if you hit keyboard ctrl+alt + F5

can you login as root and with root password via terminal emulator ?

what Desktop did you go for , Desktop manager and "greeter" ?

what happens if you hit keyboard ctrl+alt + F5

can you login as root and with root password via terminal emulator ?

what Desktop did you go for , Desktop manager and "greeter" ?

It's a default Fedora 34 install with Gnome, I literally just installed Fedora, ran through the initial setup, didnt perform any updates at all, rebooted and all I see is a gray screen with no prompt. I havent tried with ctrl+alt+f5, but I did ctrl+alt+f2 and that just freezes the OS which forces me to force a reboot.

well to be honest i know next to nothing about fedora- but my angle is from trying to see if you can login and avoid any Desktop coming up, in order to work from terminal .

I'm on Arch but this is what i did to login from terminal:

edited /etc/default/grub and added systemd.unit=runlevel3.target so RUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=" ... is now:

Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="  quiet acpi_backlight=vendor systemd.unit=runlevel3.target "

then i ran this as root :

Code:
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

that got me to image attached , where i was able to login using root password, where i could query pacman and also journalctl.

Of course i just realized for you how are you going to run
Code:
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

when you need to run grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg as root ?
Also this is only going to help if its something to do with Desktop manager glitch or greeter glitch

well the only thing i can think of is booting from us live OS mounting your root install partition from love OS; chrooting and evoking that command, then see if you can boot to what i got in image. otherwise i have no ideas but there are Red Hat or distro based on Red hat who i'm sure will help you :^)

Attachments

• boot_no_graphics.jpg
    boot_no_graphics.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 311
Thanks for the input I appreciate captain-sensible, I managed to resolve my issue.

Turns out, it was my USB hub that was causing me issues. I disconnected it and rebooted and then the login prompt re-appeared. Why the USB hub caused this issue, I am not sure, but I assume maybe a driver or device was an issue.

So....your pc was expecting a "live" version of Fedora (running from the usb) whereas in fact you had installed Fedora to your nvme drive.

The poor pc was confused... I dont blame it !!

I have only made this post to hopefully clarify the situation for others reading it.

So....your pc was expecting a "live" version of Fedora (running from the usb) whereas in fact you had installed Fedora to your nvme drive.

The poor pc was confused... I dont blame it !!

I have only made this post to hopefully clarify the situation for others reading it.

hehe… I wish it were that simple :)
In my case it was a USB hub with a headphones dongle and an Xbox controller dongle. This hub for the last few weeks has been acting up, even in Windows.

I didn’t have a USB bootable ISO connected, but this could have definitely happened.

G'day @TheProf and a belated welcome to linux.org :)

I've put a Solved on top, which you can do yourself with future issues.

Nice outcome. If you are happy with everything working, now would be a good time to use Timeshift to take and safeguard a snapshot so you can roll back if you need to.

Code:
sudo dnf install timeshift

If you have any questions on how best to configure your Timeshift, swing over to

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

and ask me.

G'day @TheProf and a belated welcome to linux.org :)

I've put a Solved on top, which you can do yourself with future issues.

Nice outcome. If you are happy with everything working, now would be a good time to use Timeshift to take and safeguard a snapshot so you can roll back if you need to.

Code:
sudo dnf install timeshift

If you have any questions on how best to configure your Timeshift, swing over to

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

and ask me.

Note and thank you wizard! I actually already installed Timeshift and snapshot is already taken.

For future reference, I will update the thread to solved. Thanks again!

Members online