SOLVED: Getting started with Linux UBUNTU, having problems creating bootable USB Device.

NotaJarofGLue

Reaction score
Credits
Hello fine people,

Trying to get started out in Linux... Having previously created a non-persistent linux drive on an 8GB drive, I've since run into a problem after attempting a persistent installation with the same 8GB drive, when attempting the formatting after following the steps in rufus, windows returned asking "please insert USB Drive" and then following up with "The Volume does not contain a recognised file system, please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted". I then attempted the install another 64GB USB drive (after assuming that memory size may have been the problem) only to receive the same response. After more attempts, windows returned "Access Denied" and the formatting stopped.

Both USB drives ended up with multiple partitions. I have since reformatted both drives successfully (I think) and the problem continues to occur.

I have also tried setting the partition schemes and target systems as:

MDR - BIOS or UEFI

GPT - UEFI (non- CSM).

Has anybody else experienced this problem?

Is this something to do with the formatting to FAT32/LargeFAT32?

Have I irreparably ruined my two USB drives?

And, while I'm doubtful of it, is it possible I have done any damage to my computer?

I'm currently running Windows 10 & hope I have included enough information in this post for people to help.

Attachments

• Rufus install.png
    Rufus install.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 158

HI welcome to the boards

your 8gb usb pendrives should be perfect for the job, they need to be re-formatted first Fat32 before you burn the ISO of your choice to it
I cant see you will have damage either the pendrives or the machine
did you down;load your image from an approved source [direct from the builders]
did you check the ms check sum matched?
did you set the bios to first boot USB,
did you try your install medium on another machine. to make sure it works.
lots of silly questions, but it sounds like either a corrupted download or a bad burn

Bwiz

Thanks for responding so quickly,

I appreciate the advice on the formatting to FAT32 prior to burning the ISO. Also a relief that I've not damaged anything.

I downloaded Ubuntu & Rufus from their official websites.

Prior to burning, I did not set the BIOS to boot from USB first.

I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean by install medium.

when you go to the download website for your chosen OS it will list the ms checksum for the distribution you are downloading, copy it, when you burn a successful instalation medium [usb pendrive/dvd] it will run a check sum and display it , make sure the two match

Okay so I have now managed to successfully get ubuntu running on a bootable USB! I just deleted the previous download of ubuntu and redownloaded it. So that suggestion of yours was correct. Thank you very much for your help!

your welcome,,
now can you please edit the title of your first post by adding "SOLVED" to the end of it

thanks

Members online