(SOLVED) graphics card setup

lofus

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,

I am not really a gamer, but I have got my first graphics card AMD 570 (I think) but I have run into a problem where when I turn on the system the fans on the card don't spin, I have tried it on a computer that has windows on it, did some research and apparently you need msi afterburner I tried installing it on windows and it gets the fans spinning, but then I could not find a Linux download for that.

My question is NOT about the application my question is if you need the application to run AMD graphics cards, and if so could i get a explanation as to why?

Thank you

Last edited:

One approach if you Linux installed is to go into BIOS settings and see whats available. I once built a tower with gigabyte motherboard and settings allowed for fan quiet, turbo and all sorts of stuff. Even on my HP laptop which has very slim pickings in bios it has for instance fan "always on" enabled.

when i installed Arch i think depending on graphics the choices were:
Code:
Commands to get graphic card drivers :
Intel:    sudo pacman -S xf86-video-intel mesa
amd:    sudo pacman -S xf86-video-amdgpu mesa
nvidia                        sudo pacman -S nvidia nvidia-utils

if you can confirm you have linux installed and which one, i'm sure somebody can help

inxi or pinxi see latest tutorial on here , is good for getting hardware specs

Last edited:
I have an RX 6700XT and the fans are just working when my system is turned on, I didn't do any special to make it happen.
Code:
amdgpu-pci-0300
Adapter: PCI adapter
vddgfx:      887.00 mV
fan1:         946 RPM  (min =    0 RPM, max = 3360 RPM)
edge:         +47.0°C  (crit = +110.0°C, hyst = -273.1°C)
                       (emerg = +115.0°C)
junction:     +51.0°C  (crit = +110.0°C, hyst = -273.1°C)
                       (emerg = +115.0°C)
mem:          +56.0°C  (crit = +105.0°C, hyst = -273.1°C)
                       (emerg = +110.0°C)
PPT:          30.00 W  (cap = 203.00 W)
You can check that with corectrl and lm_sensors(sensors), the above output is from running the command sensors.

Last edited:
I use kde neon, but for some reason the fans don't spin unless I install msi afterburner. i got a AMD because i heard its good with linux but i don't know it don't
One approach if you Linux installed is to go into BIOS settings and see whats available. I once built a tower with gigabyte motherboard and settings allowed for fan quiet, turbo and all sorts of stuff. Even on my HP laptop which has very slim pickings in bios it has for instance fan "always on" enabled.

when i installed Arch i think depending on graphics the choices were:
Code:
Commands to get graphic card drivers :
Intel:    sudo pacman -S xf86-video-intel mesa
amd:    sudo pacman -S xf86-video-amdgpu mesa
nvidia                        sudo pacman -S nvidia nvidia-utils

if you can confirm you have linux installed and which one, i'm sure somebody can help

inxi or pinxi see latest tutorial on here , is good for getting hardware specs

seem to be working

And I have tried that to i have tried to install drivers and everything but nothing, I am thinking of doing a dull boot for now until i find out what i need to do to get the fans running on linux because of course i don't want to burn the graphics card

Install lm_sensors as how it is explained in the link I shared in my previous post and then run.
1. sudo sensors-detect
2. Press enter for every question: to accept all the defaults
3. Run the command: sensors
4. Share the output here.

And as @captain-sensible already mentioned it would be useful if you shared what drivers you are using. He provided a command for that, but you haven't taken the time to even do that.
Code:
inxi -G
Also gpu fans don't spin constantly they only start spinning after they reach a certain temperature.

Last edited:
lofus wrote:
fans on the card don't spin ....
I could not find a Linux download for that.
Is the amd firmware installed, e.g.: firmware-amd-graphics?

Perhaps run:
Code:
dmesg | grep -i firmware
to see if there's missing firmware, or what the kernel says about firmware.

UPDATE:

the firmware is installed, also every time i update i get new drivers for AMD, so i don't think that is the problem, i think the card is dependent on msi after burner because when i put it in to a windows machine it dose the same thing until i download msi.

Thank you for all the help, but i have gave the graphics card to my brother due to not really being a gamer and I don't really want to do the work to find an alternative to msi and then setting it up and doing all the configurations.

I will leave this thread up for someone else is they having the same issue. once again thank you for the help .

so i don't think that is the problem, i think the card is dependent on msi after burner because when i put it in to a windows machine it dose the same thing until i download msi.
Actually I don't believe this. I looked up MSI Afterburner, it's basically a graphical program for tweaking/overclocking your graphics card.
From the MSI Afterburner website.
Afterburner is the gold standard of overclocking utilities

That being said as I mentioned earlier the fans on graphics card don't constantly spin, they turn on when the graphics card gets above a certain temperature to cool it down. I can imagine if you install Afterburner and apply a certain profile with certain settings that the graphics cards temperature goes up and then then fans start spinning.

I turned on my pc 15 minutes ago and my graphics cards fans weren't spinning when I turned it on and the temperature on my graphics card is 53 degrees Celsius. Now after I checked after 15 minutes the fans on my graphics card are spinning at around 940 rpm and the temperature of my graphics card now is 47 degrees Celsius. Now a few minutes later my fans are not spinning again. Now my fans started spinning again after my graphics card hit around 55 degrees Celsius.

Last edited:
You don’t need the application to run the GPU, you just need the drivers which Linux has by default.

If your fans are not spinning, it’s probably because there’s not much load on your GPU for the fans to spin, a lot of GPUs have very low spinning fans or in same cases like my GPU, the fans will only spin when you hit a certain temperature threshold, or maybe there’s more load on the GPU in windows.

Also another reason why I think the fans spin on windows with the MSI afterburner is because the application might change the fan curve of your GPU to something else which could be some like all fans spinning but at a very low rpm until there is load on the GPU, when the temps go up, the fans start spinning faster on their own to cool down the GPU.

In Linux the fans should automatically start spinning when you start putting load on your GPU.

You can test this by running a game for 1 minute just to see if your fans start spinning.

You can also use something like lm_sensors to monitor the temperature of your GPU as you play that game.

Last edited:
You don’t need the application to run the GPU, you just need the drivers which Linux has by default.

If your fans are not spinning, it’s probably because there’s not much load on your GPU for the fans to spin, a lot of GPUs have very low spinning fans or in same cases like my GPU, the fans will only spin when you hit a certain temperature threshold, or maybe there’s more load on the GPU in windows.

Also another reason why I think the fans spin on windows with the MSI afterburner is because the application might change the fan curve of your GPU to something else which could be some like all fans spinning but at a very low rpm until there is load on the GPU, when the temps go up, the fans start spinning faster on their own to cool down the GPU.

In Linux the fans should automatically start spinning when you start putting load on your GPU.

You can test this by running a game for 1 minute just to see if your fans start spinning.

You can also use something like lm_sensors to monitor the temperature of your GPU as you play that game.
Thank you for this reply, what you are saying is true, but in my case the fans would not spin at all, i have tried a number or games, such as (tekken 7, gta5, devil may cry 5) and I let them run for about 10 to 15 min letting the card to get warm so the fans activate and it did not spin.

now reading what you have said am starting to think its a problem with the hardware of the graphic card maybe is reading the temp wrong, and by configuring msi afterburner to spin at low temp fixes the issue.

I don't really know i can not run any tests right now because i gave the card to my brother, but it dose not really matter right now.

I was only wondering if msi afterburner needed to be installed for the graphic card to work, because ofc amd and msi are together, but now i know you don't have to run msi to rum the graphic card thank you

Staff online

Members online