[SOLVED] Installing Edge browser aborts

Halvor Raknes

Reaction score
Credits
I have downloaded microsoft-edge-stable_97.0.1072.76-1_amd64.deb and I try and run it. It aborts with this error message:

An unhandlable error occured There seems to be a programming error in aptdaemon, the software that allows you to install/remove software and to perform other package management related tasks. Details org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

I use Linux Mint 20.3 MATE.

these are the instructions to download and install to mint, there should not be a problem unless you got a bad download

sudo dpkg -i microsoft-edge-*.deb
$ curl https://packages.microsoft.com/keys/microsoft.asc | gpg --dearmor > microsoft.gpg
$ sudo install -o root -g root -m 644 microsoft.gpg /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/
$ sudo sh -c 'echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://packages.microsoft.com/repos/edge stable main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/microsoft-edge-dev.list'
$ sudo rm microsoft.gpg
$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt install microsoft-edge-dev

I've played with Microsoft's Edge browser on Linux. I think I did a brief review of it, but I mostly installed it so that I could say I'd installed and used Edge. It doesn't offer anything to me that I don't already have available - which is a very personal statement. Browser choice is a very personal thing.

I am curious about your reasons to install it and, if you decide to do so, why you kept using it?

I've played with Microsoft's Edge browser on Linux. I think I did a brief review of it, but I mostly installed it so that I could say I'd installed and used Edge. It doesn't offer anything to me that I don't already have available - which is a very personal statement. Browser choice is a very personal thing.

I am curious about your reasons to install it and, if you decide to do so, why you kept using it?
I use Brave as my main browser. I only wanted Edge for its feature to do text-to-speech.

Halvor Raknes wrote:
I only wanted Edge for its feature to do text-to-speech.
Debian repos have espeak and festival text-to-speech programs. I can't compare them to what Edge has though.

Members online

Latest posts