<SOLVED>Intallation Ubuntu based vs. Arch based issues

Jeffrey Lapinski

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,

I am a relative "newbie" to Linux. I have used Ubuntu/Kubuntu but recently began using Manjaro and Antergos. I recently purchased a new laptop ASUS N705UD and for the life of me I cannot get Manjaro or Antergos to install. I am able to install both Kubuntu and Mint 19 without issues. I apologize because I am unable to provide any error messages or terminal output because I cannot even get that far! With both Manjaro and Antergos I generally cannot make it past the first few screens on the installer before the system just freezes. I think this may have something to do with the NVIDIA component? Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated!

Hi @Jeffrey Lapinski and welcome to linux.org :)

Sorry I have to run (Australia) and will be back in 14 - 15 hours.

I run about 60 Linuxes including 5 or more of Arch-based ones on the same machine, including Manjaro Antergos and Linux Mint too. So I may have some input, but if someone else comes along in the meantime, consider their advice.

It's good that you have running instances, I take it of Mint and Kubuntu, is that right?

Can you provide the output of

Code:
inxi -Fxs

from Terminal on either of them, it will give us a clearer picture of your environment?

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Hi @Jeffrey Lapinski and welcome to linux.org :)

Sorry I have to run (Australia) and will be back in 14 - 15 hours.

I run about 60 Linuxes including 5 or more of Arch-based ones on the same machine, including Manjaro Antergos and Linux Mint too. So I may have some input, but if someone else comes along in the meantime, consider their advice.

It's good that you have running instances, I take it of Mint and Kubuntu, is that right?

Can you provide the output of

Code:
inxi -Fxs

from Terminal on either of them, it will give us a clearer picture of your environment?

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Thanks for the response. 60 on the same machine? I'd love to run a few on this new laptop but as I said I am having issues with anything other than a deb based distro!
Code:
System:    Host: jlap4-X705UDR Kernel: 4.15.0-33-generic x86_64
           bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
           Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.12.6 (Qt 5.9.5)                            
           Distro: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS                                      
Machine:   Device: laptop System: ASUSTeK product: X705UDR v: 1.0 serial: N/A
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X705UDR v: 1.0 serial: N/A                  
           UEFI: American Megatrends v: X705UDR.306 date: 11/27/2017        
Battery    BAT0: charge: 40.0 Wh 100.6% condition: 39.8/42.1 Wh (95%)      
           model: ASUSTeK ASUS status: Discharging                          
           hidpp__0: charge: N/A condition: NA/NA Wh                        
           model: Logitech M720 Triathlon Multi-Device Mouse status: Discharging                                                                        
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-8550U (-MT-MCP-)                        
           arch: Kaby Lake rev.10 cache: 8192 KB                            

flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 15936
           clock speeds: max: 4000 MHz 1: 800 MHz 2: 800 MHz 3: 800 MHz    
           4: 800 MHz 5: 800 MHz 6: 800 MHz 7: 800 MHz 8: 800 MHz          
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel UHD Graphics 620 bus-ID: 00:02.0                  
           Card-2: NVIDIA GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile] bus-ID: 01:00.0  
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )                              
           drivers: modesetting,nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)      
           Resolution: [email protected]                                    
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1050/PCIe/SSE2
           version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.48 Direct Render: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1f.3
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-33-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCIE Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: 4c:ed:fb:01:fa:f1
           Card-2: Realtek Device b822
           driver: r8822be port: c000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlp3s0 state: up speed: N/A duplex: N/A
           mac: 80:c5:f2:05:e9:31
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1256.3GB (0.9% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST1000LM035 size: 1000.2GB temp: 35C
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: Micron_1100_MTFD size: 256.1GB temp: 33C
Partition: ID-1: / size: 234G used: 11G (5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb2
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 44.5C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:45C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 264 Uptime: 8:59 Memory: 4757.4/15923.3MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.3.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.191) inxi: 2.3.56

Hi Jeffrey :)

I'd like to see how you go with Arochester's links first.

After that, and when you get time (& thanks, BTW for the inxi output :p) -

I note that you are not yet using the Solid State Drive, and that you have a Distro (Kubuntu or Mint or other?) consuming 11 GiB of what you likely sized as a 250 GB partition. Is that so?

If YES, is that a working Distro, and do you have the GNOME Partition Editor (GParted) on it?

Cheers

Wiz

Hi Jeffrey :)

I'd like to see how you go with Arochester's links first.

After that, and when you get time (& thanks, BTW for the inxi output :p) -

I note that you are not yet using the Solid State Drive, and that you have a Distro (Kubuntu or Mint or other?) consuming 11 GiB of what you likely sized as a 250 GB partition. Is that so?

If YES, is that a working Distro, and do you have the GNOME Partition Editor (GParted) on it?

Cheers

Wiz
His link worked and I have Antergos KDE up and running! I think I forgot to enable AUR when I installed though, is there an easy way to enable it post installation? I was trying to run the inxi and it isn't installed on my system.

Well, it WAS working... now the whole system is just frozen. It was all working well for about 10 minutes then it just freezes. I have rebooted several times, it will work for about 30 - 60 then freeze OR it will won't open any applications. Example, I try to open firefox, it appears to be opening then it disappears. I'm stumped... any idea?

Nothing is working, I have tried rebooting multiple times and the system just hangs or it will load and nothing will wor

Ouch :(

Do you have the exact names of the .iso's you downloaded to install?

For example my Manjaro came from this

manjaro-cinnamon-17.1.11.1-stable-x86_64.iso

... same for the antergos, please.

Also

Sorry to leave you in the lurch, but I have to cook the evening meal.

Also did you verify the downloaded .isos using eg SHA1sum or SHA256sum?

Cheers for now

Wizard

Ouch :(

Do you have the exact names of the .iso's you downloaded to install?

For example my Manjaro came from this

manjaro-cinnamon-17.1.11.1-stable-x86_64.iso

... same for the antergos, please.

Also

Sorry to leave you in the lurch, but I have to cook the evening meal.

Also did you verify the downloaded .isos using eg SHA1sum or SHA256sum?

Cheers for now

Wizard
No, worries. I appreciate the help so far and I am not going to be doing much more on this project until later tonight (US - EST).

the iso I used is:
antergos-nvidia-nozfs-18.7-x86_64.iso

no, I did not verify the download :-(

Interestingly, I am trying to see which distros will and will not install - Solus 3 Budgie opens but won't recognize the network card, Ubuntu Budgie opens then freezes and Debian 9.5 Stable freezes during the hardware recognition. I have a few more that I am going to try.

.....have you worked your way around the the best choice yet ...?

Linux Mint 19..Tara.
LM 19 Tara does work. I'm still salty over dropping KDE though..., interestingly LMDE does not, just like Solus it won't recognize the network card. I have never had so many issues getting a laptop set up! I am currently writing this on a Asus Vivobook S using Antergos KDE and it works like a charm!

Well...if tara does work.....is there good reason not to stick with it ?....or do you just want to experiment until something seriously lights you up ?? :)

I mean......we dont want you left with any saltiness.....:rolleyes:...

if you want blazing speed....LM 19 XFCE should make you sit up and take notice...... perhaps///....?......

Well...if tara does work.....is there good reason not to stick with it ?....or do you just want to experiment until something seriously lights you up ?? :)

I mean......we dont want you left with any saltiness.....:rolleyes:...

if you want blazing speed....LM 19 XFCE should make you sit up and take notice...... perhaps///....?......
I haven't tried XFCE but that is a thought. I am sold on Linux I really liked the speed with Manjaro and Antergos (I was attributing that to it being an Arch based distro - but I know I could be wrong) and I do prefer KDE to Cinnamon. Kubuntu seems slow to me compared to Manjaro and Antergos. I currently has a live USB version of Zorin on the laptop in question and it seems to be working - any thoughts on Zorin? I am going to download LM XFCE and see how it runs.

No idea re Zorin. I run LM 18.3 Cinnamon....rock solid and stable . I will update to LM 19 after I have shifted countries. Bit busy atm

I'm not terribly excited by the DE on Zorin, too much like Windows. I am actually installing LM19 XFCE as we speak and I am going to give it a shot. I have a copy of LM18 KDE as well. Thanks for you input!

No idea re Zorin. I run LM 18.3 Cinnamon....rock solid and stable . I will update to LM 19 after I have shifted countries. Bit busy atm

I settled on Mint 19 - Cinnamon, it has the NVIDIA driver support that I think is the root of all of my issues!

Members online

Latest posts