[SOLVED] INVALID MAGIC NUMBER; NEED TO LOAD KERNEL FIRST

oljessica

Reaction score
Credits
error: invalid magic number
error: you need to load kernel first

how to fix this? hlp pls
can't install Linux mint 20 on windows 10, hp laptop, 4gb ram, 64 bit

It sounds like the transfer of the iso to the usb drive wasn't done successfully. Did you create the USB drive from under Windows? Try creating your bootable usb drive by using rufus or etcher, I've had bad experiences myself with unetbootin that I ran into that the usb drive wouldn't boot.

And Welcome to linux.org forums :). Could you please only create one topic per problem, you have this topic and the same topic posted in another part of the forums.

And also stop by the Introduction Section to meet the rest of the members.

Any luck ?

This Thread remains open, the duplicate has been locked pending deletion.

Thanks

Wizard

I think unetbootin is broken.
The last 3 times I used it for a Live USB it booted to a black screen and hung.

When googling this error, most articles I found indicate that either your Live USB creation process went wrong, or your USB drive is unreliable. Try another drive.

Hope that helps.

I want to verify that i had this same problem using DD, then when i used belena etcher linux mint booted from my flash drive just fine. DD has worked for almost every other image i've used so far, so the problem likely more complicated than "dd is a worse program", however i do like that belena checks the integrity of the image.

Another pro-tip: If you download your distro's .iso via torrent/magnet, it actually verifies the integrity of the download. Balena only verifies it wrote was the file said, and the torrent verifies the download. When I download via torrent, I don't even bother with the checksum.

Another pro-tip: If you download your distro's .iso via torrent/magnet, it actually verifies the integrity of the download. Balena only verifies it wrote was the file said, and the torrent verifies the download. When I download via torrent, I don't even bother with the checksum.

Check sum always seems to be a silly overcomplication of things anyways, just a show of bad faith in computer networks.

Check sum always seems to be a silly overcomplication of things anyways, just a show of bad faith in computer networks.

LOL Or an accurate understanding of computer networks. It's fairly common to get a mismatch with the numbers involved. It's the solution in at least a few percentage of install errors - but may not always cause an error.

It's also a check for security - meaning that the file they uploaded matched. This has happened before, with Linux Mint famously, where someone hacked the site and changed the uploaded .iso.

Mint has had their share of problems, including a complete loss of user data from their forum.

LOL Or an accurate understanding of computer networks. It's fairly common to get a mismatch with the numbers involved. It's the solution in at least a few percentage of install errors - but may not always cause an error.

It's also a check for security - meaning that the file they uploaded matched. This has happened before, with Linux Mint famously, where someone hacked the site and changed the uploaded .iso.

Mint has had their share of problems, including a complete loss of user data from their forum.

it's makes me feel nice, seeing that someone understands its both at once...thanks for the info concerning mint, i always wonder about black hat programming, would like to learn! The problem i've been having so far...so many things are vague and hard to obtain :(

Last edited by a moderator:
In Mint's case, the passwords were salted and hashed - which sounds great until you realize that a simple rainbow attack will crack those passwords in fairly short order. Fortunately, my Mint account had its own generic password. But, they got things like username, password at the time, and email address.

This wasn't the first time for me. The worst one was when we had the great OPM hack. (Use Google, if you're curious.) Basically, all the information about me from my security clearance and clearance applications was lost to an unknown attacker, believed to be China or perhaps Russia.

The US govt gave me a few years of credit monitoring service for my troubles...

Also, yes, I used to have security clearance. That was a lifetime ago, but they retained all that data - and all that data was stolen. If you'd ever seen an application for clearance, you'd see the enormity of the hack even more clearly. It was pretty drastic and clearance applications contain *everything* about you, including info about family and friends.

In Mint's case, the passwords were salted and hashed - which sounds great until you realize that a simple rainbow attack will crack those passwords in fairly short order. Fortunately, my Mint account had its own generic password. But, they got things like username, password at the time, and email address.

This wasn't the first time for me. The worst one was when we had the great OPM hack. (Use Google, if you're curious.) Basically, all the information about me from my security clearance and clearance applications was lost to an unknown attacker, believed to be China or perhaps Russia.

The US govt gave me a few years of credit monitoring service for my troubles...

Also, yes, I used to have security clearance. That was a lifetime ago, but they retained all that data - and all that data was stolen. If you'd ever seen an application for clearance, you'd see the enormity of the hack even more clearly. It was pretty drastic and clearance applications contain *everything* about you, including info about family and friends.
That's rough albeit interesting, if i ever get around to actually messing with the tools on kali again (ha...) it's gonna be along the lines of seeing how secure my home wifi is. For now, basic programming is a lot more interesting to me, and is a precursor everything else...

When I download via torrent, I don't even bother with the checksum.
Ditto

I find downloading .iso's via torrent is both quicker and has that unique advantage thrown in for good measure