(SOLVED) Laptop touchpad drivers

DexTheDog

Reaction score
Credits
So I am getting a HP Stream 11-inch HD Laptop (4 Gb of Ram 32 Gb hard drive) that has windows preinstalled I am planing on switching to Ubuntu or Mint. Both of these operating systems support live boot from a usb I am wondering if I could use this to check to see if it would natively support the touchpad. I have not received the laptop yet but it should arrive tomorrow. Thanks in advance for any help.

It should natively support your touch-scrren.
Keep in mind not all desktop environment support touch-screens.

Gnome does for sure, I'm not sure about all the others, but I know some don't.

my dell1540 series has a touch pad [if i read you right its an area on the bottom of the keyboard that acts as a mouse] if so they are supported in most versions of Linux for around 20 years

yes liveOS from a usb uses kernel from usb BUT it will use hardware from laptop its booted. I did similar approach fow seeing if wifi worked when i got laptop i'm using now that also came with Windows10:

description: Notebook
product: HP Laptop 14-cm0xxx (6ZJ47EA#ABU)
vendor: HP
version: Chassis Version

Slackware 14.2 for instance didn't recognise card - i then tested Slackware current from live usb that worked. It also worked when i did slackware full install to laptop. Touch pad also worked.

When you get the laptop there isn't enough room for linux and Windows in fact if you used the laptop with Windows for some time you would find at some point Windows would not be able to update due to HD being full. My wife and kids have HP 32 gig but only 2gig RAM; thats exactly what happended. i've got HP 60 gig now running Arch vanilla i've used 49% of HD. The saviour of the laptop is that it has a SD card slot so i also have 32gig SD card which i'm sort of using for home . Does your laptop come with SD card slot ? if not you are going to have to aquire a minimilistic mentality with your laptop

one other thing use gParted from liveos and you should see the first partition is type FAT32 an EFI partition. Dont wipe that partition; it will be used when you install Linux uefi mode

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts