<solved> LG Gram and booting from USB

Sorry Jeff, just seen this and I have to go.

Enjoy the beach!

Wiz

No worries! When I get back I’m going to test my theory. I’ll start over and will make sure secure boot and signatures are off/deleted before each install. I want to trial it on the current ssd before I install the new drive. I’ll report back once completed.

That was it! You need to be sure to disable the secure boot and delete all the saved signatures before installing the first OS. The secure boot then remains disabled allowing installation of multiple OS. I currently have Tina and Neptune running normally. Both boot without issue! Now I can list this as solved.

Nice work, and also kudos to @arochester :) then.

... and I need not remind you to make room for installing Timeshift ...

Enjoy your Linux, friend

Wiz

Quickly since I’m getting ready for a week at the beach... When I disable secure boot through the bios I am able to load and run netrunner without a problem, I can shut down the machine and reboot into netrunner as well. When I log out and boot into LM secure boot gets re-enabled so in order to then load netrunner I have to boot into the bios and re-disable secure boot, delete the signatures and only then will netrunner boot. Does this explanation make sense? I am thinking it’s happening because when I originally nuked windows and installed LM I did not properly disable secure boot as noted by @arochester . I wonder if I nuke everything and reinstall both distros after properly disabling secure boot will this get rid of the problem?

It pains me to update this, BUT...

After installation of the new SSD I had the same ACPI errors on boot when I tried to install both Netrunner and Neptune. I am reviewing @arochester information from earlier....

I am getting to the bottom of it though... I am not sure that I have the stones to attempt the fix! It appears to be tied to an ACPI error in the system bios. @arochester link has led me to other sites where this issue is raised. What I am confused by is why I was able to do it before I swapped out the SSD and why LM has no problem? Could it be kernel related?

Jeff do you still have Mint onboard, or is it just the two "N's" you are trying to run, that won't?

Could it be kernel related?

Can't say No with certainty, but either from Linux Mint or a Live USB of the others, you could give us the kernel details - numbers.

You can look in /boot/ for both the N's and get it from the files marked vmlinuz.

Wizard out for my evening.

Edited "Mont" to "Mint" - sleepy Wizard :)

Last edited:
Jeff do you still have Mont onboard, or is it just the two "N's" you are trying to run, that won't?
Mont?

Right now I just have Tina running (without issue). It is only when I install an additional OS that I have the problem and it seems to only be with the new OS, Mint continues to boot and run without a problem. I wondered if the it was the kernel since Mint is still using 4.15 and NR and Neptune both ship w/ 5.0? Just a thought!

Be well my friend!

Sorry, just realized that Mont meant Mint! I can't open the vmlinuz-4.15.0-58-generic files.

Can't say No with certainty, but either from Linux Mint or a Live USB of the others, you could give us the kernel details - numbers.
Code:
jalan76@LGg17:~$ uname -a
Linux LGg17 4.15.0-58-generic #64-Ubuntu SMP Tue Aug 6 11:12:41 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Code:
jalan76@LGg17:~$ uname -a
Linux LGg17 4.15.0-58-generic #64-Ubuntu SMP Tue Aug 6 11:12:41 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Code:
jalan76@LGg17:~$ dmesg | grep Linux
[    0.000000] Linux version 4.15.0-58-generic (buildd@lcy01-amd64-013) (gcc version 7.4.0 (Ubuntu 7.4.0-1ubuntu1~18.04.1)) #64-Ubuntu SMP Tue Aug 6 11:12:41 UTC 2019 (Ubuntu 4.15.0-58.64-generic 4.15.18)
[    0.048193] ACPI: Added _OSI(Linux-Dell-Video)
[    0.048193] ACPI: Added _OSI(Linux-Lenovo-NV-HDMI-Audio)
[    0.048193] ACPI: Added _OSI(Linux-HPI-Hybrid-Graphics)
[    1.115995] Linux agpgart interface v0.103
[    1.148297] usb usb1: Manufacturer: Linux 4.15.0-58-generic xhci-hcd
[    1.149644] usb usb2: Manufacturer: Linux 4.15.0-58-generic xhci-hcd
[    1.151611] usb usb3: Manufacturer: Linux 4.15.0-58-generic xhci-hcd
[    1.152848] usb usb4: Manufacturer: Linux 4.15.0-58-generic xhci-hcd
[    4.178880] Intel(R) Wireless WiFi driver for Linux
[    4.191002] media: Linux media interface: v0.10
[    4.202241] Linux video capture interface: v2.00
jalan76@LGg17:~$

Members online