<SOLVED> linux and programming languages

smooth_buddha

Reaction score
Credits
have been trying to learn some basic python3 progamming language and whilst doing some reading about linux i came across lots of info all about c programming language and how most of linux is coded using c.

So is c probably one of the best languages to learn for a linux user??? am i wasting time learning python3???

would be intersted to know what languages any of you guys know and use and if it really matters which language one uses. python seems to be all the craze within the coding world at the mo - particualrly python3 as python2 seems to becoming more obsolete.

The linux kernel itself is C. But I would say the majority of other tools are written in other languages.
There is still a ton of python, perl, bash, ruby, c++, lisp, golang, lua, ada, java, tk, tcl, gtk+, and other languages used in Linux.

But you are right about python 2. Some newer distro's don't support it at all.

It honestly doesn't matter what language you implement your software in.
As scripting languages go - Python is great because you can implement a lot of functionality with very little code, compared to low-level, compiled languages like C, C++, or assembly. And its performance is pretty good too - compared to other scripting languages.
But if performance is critical, then a low level, compiled language like C, or C++ is often a better choice. But again, in many cases the choice of language doesn't matter that much.

Python 2 has been deprecated since Python 3 first came out. But the reason Python 2 has refused to die is because there were so many 3rd party libraries that people relied on that hadn't been ported to Python 3.

But nowadays that situation has changed, so distros are getting ready to drop Python 2.
So it's best to learn Python 3 instead of Python 2.

Last edited:

Members online