[Solved] Manjaro KDE boots to black screen after updates

kelltech

Reaction score
Credits
Hello! First, for sake of transparency I posted this early today on the Manjaro forums, but so far only views and no replies. Unfortunately, I can't seem to fix this and that means I'm getting no work done today. :D

After updating today, I can only boot into a black screen. I am currently in usb live boot and I've tried following the wiki page "Restore the GRUB Bootloader" ([https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/GRUB/Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader]) but after the "update the GRUB configuration" step, I get the following:
Code:
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Generating grub configuration file ...

Found theme: /usr/share/grub/themes/manjaro/theme.txt

Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.10-x86_64

Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.10-x86_64.img

Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.10-x86_64-fallback.img

Warning: os-prober will be executed to detect other bootable partitions.

Its output will be used to detect bootable binaries on them and create new boot entries.

grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdb1.  Check your device.map.

grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdb1.  Check your device.map.

Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings ...

Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin

/usr/bin/grub-probe: warning: unknown device type nvme0n1.

done

Update: Got some help, I can get Plasma to start but only manually through TTY. Trying to sort that out now. :p

Last edited:

G'day @kelltech and welcome to linux.org :)

Sounds like you have a fair bit of knowledge there and are making progress.

I have an SSD, but not of the m2. NVMe variety, so not very familiar with the references.

But do you indeed have an sdb drive? Your SSD should be referred to as somethng like

/dev/nvme0

Might be worth a look in your

/etc/fstab

file as well to see that all is in order for Grub to detect everything.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Hi @wizardfromoz !
I do have 2 SSD drives, an NVMe and SATA both. I think that's what you were pointing to. :)

Yes, made some progress but still trying to get the DE to start at boot, currently have to TTY after boot and use
Code:
startx /usr/bin/startplasma-x11
each time and not yet sure why.

try reinstalling sddm and any theme packages for it.

First problem: Blank screen could have been a crash due to driver update and modesetting *cough* nVidia *cough*. Anyways, that problem was sorted, but not entirely unrelated.

About your second issue, stating Plasma You will find an entry in /boot/grub/grub.cfg that reads something like "linux /boot/vmlinuz-<blah blah> root=<blah blah>..." at the end are options like ro quiet, etc. If one of them says "text", just remove it. Also, for good measure, add a "5" (rlvl code) to the end (probably not necessary any more). By the way, re the first problem, if "nvidia-drm.modeset=1" is there, delete it or make it =0. Back to startup...
Altering the startup parameters via GRUB should be enough. However do not save these, test them first by rebooting and pressing "e" on the GRUB menu and making the above changes (will not persist next boot). If they work, edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg accordingly.
Note: You need only change the main line "linux" and every subsequent line will be updated each time update-grub is issued.

If this does not work, you'll have to use the "new" method and fiddle systemd. Lemme know.

First problem: Blank screen could have been a crash due to driver update and modesetting *cough* nVidia *cough*. Anyways, that problem was sorted, but not entirely unrelated.

About your second issue, stating Plasma You will find an entry in /boot/grub/grub.cfg that reads something like "linux /boot/vmlinuz-<blah blah> root=<blah blah>..." at the end are options like ro quiet, etc. If one of them says "text", just remove it. Also, for good measure, add a "5" (rlvl code) to the end (probably not necessary any more). By the way, re the first problem, if "nvidia-drm.modeset=1" is there, delete it or make it =0. Back to startup...
Altering the startup parameters via GRUB should be enough. However do not save these, test them first by rebooting and pressing "e" on the GRUB menu and making the above changes (will not persist next boot). If they work, edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg accordingly.
Note: You need only change the main line "linux" and every subsequent line will be updated each time update-grub is issued.

If this does not work, you'll have to use the "new" method and fiddle systemd. Lemme know.

Edit: This will probably also work as it'll reset most applicable settings (I tend to do things "the old fashioned way", lol) :
try reinstalling sddm and any theme packages for it.

Found the text, @Fanboi but I see 5 places for it. Looks like 2 for each kernel installed + 1 for Manjaro. Here's what I currently see there for each instance of that text:

Code:
 linux   /boot/vmlinuz-5.10-x86_64 root=UUID=c13b38e0-636f-486d-a482-7b4398f5bf63 rw  quiet apparmor=1 security=apparmor resume=UUID=f4c64cf4-9ccb-4798-94fd-3cc66d24e5d7 udev.log_priority=3

Update: Installed the 5.4.x kernel, fixed it. ;)

Last edited:
Great! You can mark it as solved now.

Found the text, @Fanboi but I see 5 places for it. Looks like 2 for each kernel installed + 1 for Manjaro. Here's what I currently see there for each instance of that text:

Code:
 linux   /boot/vmlinuz-5.10-x86_64 root=UUID=c13b38e0-636f-486d-a482-7b4398f5bf63 rw  quiet apparmor=1 security=apparmor resume=UUID=f4c64cf4-9ccb-4798-94fd-3cc66d24e5d7 udev.log_priority=3

Update: Installed the 5.4.x kernel, fixed it. ;)
Was it that the higher version of the kernel didn't have support for something on your machine?

Yes, my guess is nvidia drivers because after boot the screen switched off until I opened TTY.
Thanks for the confirmation.

Enjoy the day!

Staff online