[Solved] MSI Laptop Screen Stays at Bios

ngx

Reaction score
Credits
Hello friends,
I decided to install Ubuntu 20.04 from usb stick to the MSI laptop but screen stays at bios.
I am waiting your solution suggestions.
How bios settings must be configurated for linux.
Thanks.

welcome to the forums,
what is the full model number of your lappy

And how did you write the .iso to the USB stick?

And, did you verify the integrity of the .iso before writing it to USB?

once you decide on your distribution [ depending on the age and spec of your machine] you will need either a16gb pendrive or a clean DVD-R
you will need access to a second computer that you can use to download your distribution and Burn it as an iso bootable medium

Make your ISO installation medium [pendrive or DVD-r]
1] download your chosen distribution
2]burn a bootble usb pendrive [make sure you check the Md/Sha sum] {to do this we recommend https://linux-tips.us/balenaetcher-a-tool-to-turn-linux-iso-files-into-bootable-usb-drives/}
To Install
1, plug in the machine
2 insert Iso , usb [or DVD] into drive
3 switch on and open the short boot menu [method will depend on the make and model of your computer][usually F11 on a MSI] [be quick you only have a few seconds]
look down the list and find usb [or dvd] click on it and enter, after a few seconds [depending on your choice of distribution] it will load a “live” session to Ram, [you do not need a harddrive at this stage]
4,when it is loaded check everything works ok [wi-fi, sound, graphics] easiest way to do this is click on the wireless icon find your router and enter the password, when loaded go to your favourite music video site and pick something your familiar with, if it plays ok and the picture looks good you can then decide if you want to take a chance on installing.
5, double click the install button the iso will then check the components of your machine this may take several seconds to a couple of minuets, then provided the harddrive checked out ok it will start to install [if it fails at this stage dont panic come back and post what happen with any fail messages]
6]watch it install when it asks about partitioning this is your final chance to decide if you want to duel boot with your existing system or wipe the system and just install linux,choose your option,
7] during install most distributions will asked if you wish to install non-free/proprietary drivers tick the box for yes and enter
8] you will need to enter information as it installs so keep an eye on it, a typical linux installation can take from 10 to 20 minuets [far less than windows]
9] when it installs you will get a message do you wish to re-start now, accept
Now sit back whilst it re-boots then it will take a couple more minuets to clean up the installation and get rid of the install files,
then if all goes well we will have a working linux box
Sorry this is a long winded back to basics description but I am trying to cover as much as I can
when installed we recommend you install and activate “ Timeshift” [this is similar to windows restore]
If you want us to check the system after install run terminal command inxi Fnxz [inxispace-Fnxz]
copy and paste the result back here
[if inxi is not loaded then install using terminal command sudo apt install inxi ]

Bwiz

Hello friends,
My laptop model is MSI GF63 Thin 10UC-672XTR Intel Core i7 10750H 512GB SSD freedos.
I downloaded Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS from official url.
My old laptop was also ubuntu on that platform i used to create startup disk creator tool and wrote to the iso to usb stick.
As you said i used F11 but couldnt go the usb than i thought maybe there was a priority problem and i used DEL shortkey to enter bios.
I disabled fast boot and used firstly i selected usb.
When I restarted to laptop, bios screen opened and althought i enter F10 for save and exit again and again bios screen came.
Is that any configuration should i open or close for bypass bios screen.
Thank you for helps.

Hello friends,
My laptop model is MSI GF63 Thin 10UC-672XTR Intel Core i7 10750H 512GB SSD freedos.
I downloaded Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS from official url.
My old laptop was also ubuntu on that platform i used to create startup disk creator tool and wrote to the iso to usb stick.
As you said i used F11 but couldnt go the usb than i thought maybe there was a priority problem and i used DEL shortkey to enter bios.
I disabled fast boot and used firstly i selected usb.
When I restarted to laptop, bios screen opened and althought i enter F10 for save and exit again and again bios screen came.
Is that any configuration should i open or close for bypass bios screen.
Thank you for helps.

That's good that you disabled the fast boot.

If there is secure boot disable that too.

Is this your laptop?

Last edited:
Hello friends,
I found solution
In bios menu under save tab i selected load default settings than os opened.
Yes you are right my laptop is MSI GF63 Thin
I would like to thank all of you.

I would like to thank all of you.
your welcome, please edit the title of your first post to include "solve"

Bwiz

We don't know how to do this

To add to @brickwizard's link, it'll vary some (like where to find the hash) depending on the distro, but most distros let you check a hash against their hash to ensure your downloaded image is correct/unmolested.

1st off you need to hit CTRL+ALT+T LOL (sorry that's for Linux computers windows can use etcher also I'm sure.)
2nd enter in the commands at the bottom of this link
https://github.com/balena-io/etcher

Windows users link
It's a program you need to flash the ISO.

Then go to Download Linux find your flavor along with a fresh usb drive 16gb will cover everything.
Then figure out your boot keys like f2 f11 f12 what ever and the usb should appear most all linux can run off a usb drive as live usb. when you go to install it will guide you along the way.
Linux mint is great for beginners I use and recommend cinnamon.

Use etcher to make the usb live drive its also self explanatory.

Last edited:
Haven't used windows in some time other than at work ctrl alt T is my default for doing anything now lol!
Love command line. still learning and getting better.

When using Linux pay close attention for capital and lower case letters you are welcome lol!

Staff online

Members online