[Solved] No Display VGA light is on

Thank you all for coming to help. I'm far from a computer wiz and I really appreciate you guys. I tried, at @f33dm3bits suggestion, switching my GPU to a different PCI slot and that did give me a successful boot. I've read (after several problems I've had to solve now) that these AORUS motherboards really come with some issues so buyer beware when considering going with GIGABYTE.

Thanks again, @Lord Boltar, @Condobloke, @brickwizard, @wizardfromoz, @DexTheDog, and @f33dm3bits. Linux.org does in fact rock.

I switched the GPU to a different PCI slot and that did complete the boot. I've heard that these AOURUS MOBOs sometimes come with some issues so that may be upgraded before too long.
So now you are getting output on both your monitors displays again?

If the PCI appears to have failed it may just not getting enough power to operate correctly and shuts down - need to check the wattage requirements of your video card and check the output of your power-supply - I am thinking it is a power-supply issue

Thank you all for coming to help. I'm far from a computer wiz and I really appreciate you guys. I tried, at @f33dm3bits suggestion, switching my GPU to a different PCI slot and that did give me a successful boot. I've read (after several problems I've had to solve now) that these AORUS motherboards really come with some issues so buyer beware when considering going with GIGABYTE.
I'm glad to have helped out, you learn with experience so it's fine to ask for help when you are stuck and have tried everything you can. However I have no idea what could cause a pci-express slot to crap out, I'm not a hardware guru. Where did you read that I'd be interested to read what they say about AORUS and gigabyte graphics cards?

Last edited:
I'm glad to have helped out, you learn with experience so it's find to ask for help when you are stuck and have tried everything you can. However I have no idea what could cause pci-express slot to crap out, I'm not a hardware guru. Where did you read that I'd be interested to read what they say about AORUS and gigabyte graphics cards?
Not necessarily the GPU's but the motherboards in particular. I don't think I can cite that without doing some digging back into my troubleshooting history. I don't think it'd be easy to find an unfavorable review (considering most review sites are basically just ad agencies) but I've run into a few anecdotes now of people warning others of their experience with the boards.

@Lord Boltar gave a good suggestion but I would find it strange that one pci-express slots gets enough power and that the other doesn't.

If the PCI appears to have failed it may just not getting enough power to operate correctly and shuts down - need to check the wattage requirements of your video card and check the output of your power-supply - I am thinking it is a power-supply issue
My PC is definitely underpowered. I intend to get a new PSU in the near future. When I went to the local PC place I talked to the clerk about it and he said essentially, "Don't worry about it, you may experience a power loss if you are under a lot of load but it won't result in any damage to the PC". Is that true? Could this problem be remedied by a new PSU or did I damage the board?

Simple answer - yes your power-supply can damage your MOBO - Computer’s power supply unit (PSU) is connected to the motherboard. You must buy the right power supply for your PC. If the PSU cannot provide the required power needed by the components of the computer, motherboard and other components fail to perform (i.e. in your case a PCI slot quit working) and thus can damage the motherboard. So whatever your local PC guy told you is incorrect. If you upgrade your video card then you probably need to upgrade your PSU as well since it may require more power to operate. You just have to check the wattage/power output to make sure it is adequate.

great I can put my favorite hat on,
component problems come in several forms, a breakdown in the component itself, corrosion of the contacts caused through dampness, and the one that many people do not understand..the Dry joint.
corrosion is usually easy spotted by a small amount of either white or green deposits on the contacts [both the pins and sockets] the dry joint on the other hand is caused through either heat and or fine dust when you take a component out and look carefully one or more contacts will normally look dry and dark
the usual cure is to clean the pins with a pure lint free cotton cloth gently rubbing down the pins so as not to lift them from the card and causing damage, the contacts can be carefully cleaned in the same manor by putting the cloth around a thin card [so it is thinner than the slot]and gently rub the contacts so as not to catch them in the cloth, then reassemble.
if your PSU is over stressed it will get hot and should shut its-self down without issue, But on very rear occasions they can burn out internally causing internal shorts that then send too much power to the the rest of the components and cause a complete failure of everything [but I personally have only had 2 cases of this in the last 40 odd years] when cash permits stepping the psu up a bit wont hurt

Bwiz

Recommended PSU: 650W
What other hardware is currently in your system and what PSU does your system currently have?
POWER CONSUMPTION: 230 W

What other hardware is currently in your system and what PSU does your system currently have?
That bit of info was exactly what informed my decision to buy the PSU that I did. I bought the Radeon and the PSU at the same time and I bought the 650W. When it arrived I thought of the Ryzen 7 I already had and realized I probably needed more power. This is my first build and it did not occur to me until then.

Simple answer - yes your power-supply can damage your MOBO - Computer’s power supply unit (PSU) is connected to the motherboard. You must buy the right power supply for your PC. If the PSU cannot provide the required power needed by the components of the computer, motherboard and other components fail to perform (i.e. in your case a PCI slot quit working) and thus can damage the motherboard. So whatever your local PC guy told you is incorrect. If you upgrade your video card then you probably need to upgrade your PSU as well since it may require more power to operate. You just have to check the wattage/power output to make sure it is adequate.
I'll order it today. Thank you.

That bit of info was exactly what informed my decision to buy the PSU that I did. I bought the Radeon and the PSU at the same time and I bought the 650W. When it arrived I thought of the Ryzen 7 I already had and realized I probably needed more power. This is my first build and it did not occur to me until then.
If you got other hardware in your system that uses more power and doesn't leave enough for the graphics card it can cause issues. Although I find it strange that when switching it to the other pci-express slot that it works. I have a 700W PSU in my system which powers my RX 6700XT, motherboard, 1x 2T nvme ssd, 32G ram, cpu and my cpu cooler.

I have a question as well then if you don't mind. I'd like to know more about what I'm doing with these things and avoid this in the future. I've been using this thing to play BF4 which is a much higher load than what I was doing when the crash happened. I had just fired up Project Zomboid for the first time. It's like a low poly point and click nearly. The game is like 4 gigs. Why was that the thing that caused the failure?

I have a question as well then if you don't mind. I'd like to know more about what I'm doing with these things and avoid this in the future. I've been using this thing to play BF4 which is a much higher load than what I was doing when the crash happened. I had just fired up Project Zomboid for the first time. It's like a low poly point and click nearly. The game is like 4 gigs. Why was that the thing that caused the failure?
The recommendation of 450 watts for your video card is just that only for video card - it does not include other devices on your computer which you must take into account when building your own machine - like memory, hard drive, optical drives, cpu, fans etc. - if you add all those other things to the 450 watt now you are looking at 550 to 650 watts of power - gaming does use more power through the graphics card then just surfing the Net the more complex the graphics the more power is needed to drive the game - my personal rule of thumb is find the base value (you can use the calculator at the above website) and add 50 watts if the calculator spits out 550 watts I would get a 600 - just my personal preference is all in case I decide to upgrade something later and may need the additional power it is there already

Last edited by a moderator:
The recommendation of 450 watts for your video card is just that only for video card - it does not include other devices on your computer which you must take into account when building your own machine - like memory, hard drive, optical drives, cpu, fans etc. - if you add all those other things to the 450 watt now you are looking at 550 to 650 watts of power - gaming does use more power through the graphics card then just surfing the Net the more complex the graphics the more power is needed to drive the game - my personal rule of thumb is find the base value (you can use the calculator at the above website) and add 50 watts if the calculator spits out 550 watts I would get a 600 - just my personal preference is all in case I decide to upgrade something later and may need the additional power it is there already
I ordered a 1000W a moment ago, it's overkill no doubt but I have plans to upgrade the system over time anyway. I'll keep the load light for a few days until it arrives.

I ordered a 1000W a moment ago, it's overkill no doubt but I have plans to upgrade the system over time anyway. I'll keep the load light for a few days until it arrives.
the thing about power supplies no such thing as overkill all the things on your machine will only take as much power as needed as long as it is available to draw from - you should have plenty to spare that way if needed - I look at it like a standard plugin your wall socket that is rated at 20 amps you plugin something that needs 30 amps at startup - boom the breaker trips. I plugin the 30amp into a 45amp socket and it works just fine

@simis glad things look good for you :)

If you think you can mark the problem as Solved, you can go back to the first page, and near top right, to the right of Unwatch, drop down the menu and edit your Title to start with the word

[SOLVED]

I'll show you where I mean with one of my Threads

4ZtNQcr.png

We don't close Threads for the most part, so if you have further problems on the same issue, just return here and pick up where you left off.

Now is probably a good time to get acquainted with Timeshift, so if you wish, take a wander through my Thread pictured, here

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

and ask any questions on the best way to set it up for your circumstances.

Cheers

Wiz