SOLVED (not really): Solution to gentoo wiping progress after reboot

Meta Master

Reaction score
Credits
Problem

Hi everyone! I recently went through the complete gentoo setup process and got to the part where I reboot, after having spent about 3 days on this!

All Progress Wiped

I rebooted with the disc inside because both video tutorials I was watching made no mention it should be removed, and the handbook only mentioned I should remove the disc AFTER telling me to reboot in the direction before. It was really tedious following all those tutorials, and the handbook was really not user-friendly nor were video tutorials particularly helpful, despite a fair bit of commentary to the contrary.

This resulted in most progress being wiped including the make.conf file, leaving me at square one of the gentoo installation process.

Windows OS Deleted

On top of this, it even deleted my Windows OS from my system despite my thorough following of the partitioning instructions. This left me with no OS outside my gentoo CD. You'd have thought gentoo handbook would give a more explicit in-your-face warning about something that serious and better guidance for avoiding such a serious issue! Anyway, for those curious, I found a simple solution.

My Solution

I first ejected the disc. I then snapped it in half and threw it in the garbage. I have vowed to never use gentoo again. I now plan to install Arch Linux from a USB.

This is not joke advice. I recommend anyone who reaches this point do similar.

Hope that's helpful!

Sorry to hear all your hard work went to shit. I have no experience with Gentoo so wouldn't know what to tell you, I always found a source based distro an overkill for a desktop. Luckily there are many other distros to choose from :) Good choice to try Arch next!

I’ve been there before. Gentoo is a very long-winded install. But it definitely feels like an achievement when you finally get it working properly. And I found it a lot of work to maintain. So I didn’t stick with it for long!!

I’ve been there before. Gentoo is a very long-winded install. But it definitely feels like an achievement when you finally get it working properly. And I found it a lot of work to maintain. So I didn’t stick with it for long!!
Before I pressed reboot, I thought installing gentoo on a laptop wasn't as difficult as that time I labored to run a PS2 game's iso on the latest model of PS3 via a jailbreak using hen with 0 prior knowledge of how to do so.

After rebooting this laptop, I found out I was wrong.