[Solved]Question about Kubuntu and Ubuntu derivatives.

ChaosEngineer

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, I've been a Linux user, on and off, for a few years now. Tried various distros over the years but I usually sticked to Linux Mint. After trying the KDE environment thought, I decided to use Kubuntu instead since Mint wasn't built with KDE in mind. But, then, I find a lot of people calling Ubuntu and it's derivatives "trash" or "bad" and various other words used to describe it as "not good".

I don't exactly understand that line of thinking. Ubuntu ain't perfect (no OS is.), but I ran into way less problems with it than any other distro for the specific use I have for it. I usually run into more barriers with Arch-based and Fedora-based distros than I do with an Ubuntu-based one. But to be fair, when I actually do hit a wall with Ubuntu, it is usually more annoying to solve than it should be. Fortunately, this process is less painful by virtue of Ubuntu being so popular that a lot of people ran into the same issue so finding a solution is never hard.

So, the question I have right now is... What exactly is wrong with Ubuntu-based distros for people to dunk on it this hard? Are people overreacting? Is there some truth in here?

Do note I don't want this thread to turn into a distro-war. I just want to know what exactly is wrong with it. To anticipate potential issues going forward or maybe hop to something else if it can become really problematic. All I want is a functional OS from which I can do general stuff like browsing, music-related stuff and essentially just play old games with Lutris.

Ubuntu is a member of the Debian family, and as such is rock solid, [well as much as a distro can be] there is still a lot of snobbery around some distributions and the FOSS movement, just ignore anyone with such tendencies,
at the end of the day, there are over 500 desktop Linux builds. Is one better than another. Not really, so we come back to the old chestnut of what is the best distribution, and the answer is always the same, there is no one best. What is best for you, is the one you like the look and feel of, the one that works best on your machine, and the one that lets you get on with life and work with the minimum fuss.

if you want to change mint desktop to KDE all the apps you need are in the mint repository to make the change

Ubuntu is a member of the Debian family, and as such is rock solid, [well as much as a distro can be] there is still a lot of snobbery around some distributions and the FOSS movement, just ignore anyone with such tendencies,
at the end of the day, there are over 500 desktop Linux builds. Is one better than another. Not really, so we come back to the old chestnut of what is the best distribution, and the answer is always the same, there is no one best. What is best for you, is the one you like the look and feel of, the one that works best on your machine, and the one that lets you get on with life and work with the minimum fuss.

if you want to change mint desktop to KDE all the apps you need are in the mint repository to make the change
Yeah, I thought of swapping the apps but, y'know, it was simplier just to install Kubuntu since I don't have much files that needs moving. I am kind of relieved it ain't anything major. When I heard people saying that everywhere, I was picturing a bunch of long-term issues left and right which I ain't exactly willing to deal with.

Thank you for the reply.

Hi, I've been a Linux user, on and off, for a few years now. Tried various distros over the years but I usually sticked to Linux Mint. After trying the KDE environment thought, I decided to use Kubuntu instead since Mint wasn't built with KDE in mind. But, then, I find a lot of people calling Ubuntu and it's derivatives "trash" or "bad" and various other words used to describe it as "not good".

I don't exactly understand that line of thinking. Ubuntu ain't perfect (no OS is.), but I ran into way less problems with it than any other distro for the specific use I have for it. I usually run into more barriers with Arch-based and Fedora-based distros than I do with an Ubuntu-based one. But to be fair, when I actually do hit a wall with Ubuntu, it is usually more annoying to solve than it should be. Fortunately, this process is less painful by virtue of Ubuntu being so popular that a lot of people ran into the same issue so finding a solution is never hard.

So, the question I have right now is... What exactly is wrong with Ubuntu-based distros for people to dunk on it this hard? Are people overreacting? Is there some truth in here?

Do note I don't want this thread to turn into a distro-war. I just want to know what exactly is wrong with it. To anticipate potential issues going forward or maybe hop to something else if it can become really problematic. All I want is a functional OS from which I can do general stuff like browsing, music-related stuff and essentially just play old games with Lutris.
As Mark Shuttleworth said some years ago: "Haters will hate."

I could find a whole lot of things to rag on about Linux Mint or any Linux distro.

A lot of users don't like Ubuntu because they hate Mark Shuttleworth and they love bashing Canonical.

Linux is free
never will understand how anyone can complain about free.

As Mark Shuttleworth said some years ago: "Haters will hate."

I could find a whole lot of things to rag on about Linux Mint or any Linux distro.

A lot of users don't like Ubuntu because they hate Mark Shuttleworth and they love bashing Canonical.

Linux is free
never will understand how anyone can complain about free.
Yeah, that is the understanding I have of it. Good to know it seems to be true after all. Like, no OS is perfect and same goes for distros. It's a matter a choosing which one fits your need the best then work out whatever adjustment is needed from there.

Thought, arguably, the best "distro" would be one you tailor build for yourself. But, not everyone has time for that. I tried using Arch some years ago and without the know-how to fix the issues I ran into, it was quite an ordeal. Fortunately, Kubuntu has next to no bloat for me since I pretty much use everything bundled with it short of a few programs in the "System" category which are a bit overkill for me.

Like, if I was really digging to find something truely annoying with the Ubuntu world. I would point at the various official depots. Not because they are bad per-say, but because they are filled with softwares that are either broken on newer releases or poorly maintained. Which can sometime leads to quite annoying situations as you try hunting down dependencies that should appear as a picture on a pack of milk at this point. Other than that, I only had a positive experience over the years.

I am not keen on Canonicals philosophy, but you can't knock the product, like any Linux, it does what it says on the box

What exactly is wrong with Ubuntu-based distros for people to dunk on it this hard? Are people overreacting? Is there some truth in here?

People dog on the market leaders. Ubuntu is popular and people want to feel special about the distro they've chosen. In order to feel special, they feel they must bring something down to elevate themselves.

This is just human nature. We're likely all guilty of it at some point in our life, though most of us mature out of it. That and people attach their personality to some of the strangest things - from operating systems to sports teams to video gaming platforms.

From, https://lukesmith.xyz/programs/

Linux distributions are generally not distinct enough to have strong feelings about...

Canonical has been doing some shady stuff now and then, but Ubuntu is a good distribution just like the others. People have different philosophies, some people like suckless softwares, some people like 'just works' distros. Even Linus Torvarlds himself uses Fedora on his systems and Richard Stalleman uses Trisquel as far as I know.
So, at the end of the day, it's not about the distro, it's about the knowledge of the end user.

I hate KDE because it's slow ... but I love Kate, K3b and kTorrent.:(

Ubuntu is a good Distro I use Kubuntu myself often and Like KDE.. I don't like gnome. I think much of the disparagement of Ubuntu and derivatives comes from many things that Canonical has chosen over the years. But it is a basically good distro. There will always be those that will be against any distro that they feel is not what they want or because they want another one to have and upper hand. I don't like gnome.. but I don't call it trash. KDE is not Slow any longer it's just as snappy as XFCE in my use. So if one distro works for you. Use it but don't put down other distros in doing so.
JMHO.

Members online