[SOLVED] Realtek RTL8125 2.5GbE Network Card Not Working

Mr Kaos

Credits
Hello,

I have been having trouble getting my computer to connect to the internet using the ethernet adapter as it does not seem to have a driver installed for it. I have tried installing it and have had no success, the details of which I will list below.

Some extra information that may be useful:
  • I am running Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon, with an MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK motherboard.
  • I previously used an ASUS X570-PLUS motherboard, but changed due to other issues I had with it. The ASUS motherboard worked fine with no issues whatsoever in Linux Mint.
  • Running the lspci -v command and scrolling to the details of my network card, it displays the following info:
Code:
26:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller (rev 04)
    Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 255
    I/O ports at f000 [size=256]
    Memory at fc700000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
    Memory at fc710000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
  • Additionally, when running the lshw -C network command, the same network device is stated to be "UNCLAIMED".
Other things I have tried are:
I have downloaded the official driver packages for RTL8125 and RTL8168 from Realtek from here, which I extracted and then ran the provided executable shell files from the terminal. Whenever I do so, it returns the following message:
Code:
Check old driver and unload it.
Build the module and install
After that message, they both give their own messages related to the makefile they use, all which state "Permission denied".

Another thing I tried was to install it using sudo apt install r8168-dkms, in which I then executed the scripts from the packages mentioned above and yielded the same results.

I have rebooted my system several times, before and after running the aforementioned tasks, which did not resolve the issue.

I am unsure of where to go from from here and how to get my computer to install and recognise my ethernet network card. Any information and/or help would be greatly appreciated.

brickwizard

Credits
Drivers for the 8125 &8125A are in the kernel that comes with mint 20.2, if its the 8125B that is only available from Kernel 5.9 onward.
so my immediate thought is try upgrading the Kernel [but others may have a better idea]
I have found that when installing a new driver you must uninstall the old one completely first to avoid conflicts

Bwiz

edit...just checked the spec of your motherboard and you need 8125B drivers

Lord Boltar

Credits
There are 2 firmware versions 8125b-1 or b-2 You can grab the firmware from here - https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linu...linux-firmware.git/tree/rtl_nic/rtl8125b-1.fw and https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linu...linux-firmware.git/tree/rtl_nic/rtl8125b-2.fw b-2 is the latest version of it - to grab it you will see a line that looks like
blob: 90191ab9c9f6eb4144c68d8be711b7c601b4d637 (plain)
click on the (Plain) and save the text file - now you need to drop it to the folder where the firmware is stored usually in /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/ - now reboot and see if it works

Last edited:

Mr Kaos

Credits
Drivers for the 8125 &8125A are in the kernel that comes with mint 20.2, if its the 8125B that is only available from Kernel 5.9 onward.
so my immediate thought is try upgrading the Kernel [but others may have a better idea]
I have found that when installing a new driver you must uninstall the old one completely first to avoid conflicts

Bwiz

edit...just checked the spec of your motherboard and you need 8125B drivers
I have updated my Kernel to 5.11 and it works wonderfully! Thank you very much for your help.

brickwizard

Credits
I have updated my Kernel to 5.11 and it works wonderfully!
Pleased about that.. if your now happy please edit the title of your post to include the word "Solved"
thanks
Bwiz

$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Members online