{SOLVED} Second internal hard drive is only accessible as root

Digit

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all, and thanks in advance for the assistance!
I have added a hard drive, formatted as ext4, at dev/sdb1, mounted as /media/rokkett/storage.
I can access it as root, but not as a non-root user. In the file manager it shows up as a device, but if I click it, I get the following error: Could not display /media/rokkett/storage. The location is not a folder. I've checked permissions on it and its subdirectories, and set them to 744, so I expected the non-user to be able to see the drive.

1637355944388.png

1637356018989.png

Gparted screenshot:
1637356113166.png

Any suggestions for fixing this issue? I would GREATLY appreciate any guidance here, as I've exhausted my limited knowledge at this point.

Last edited:

did you use the mount command to mount it or just plug it in and click on it? if you mounted via the mount command you cannot click on it since it is already mounted - generally I just plug my drive in and it auto-mounts even with Luks encryption the login screen pops up asking for password

Are you using Debian? or a Debian based OS? Debian requires root access for ext4 simply because ext4 supports permission - Fat32 or exfat does not support permissions

Last edited by a moderator:
I just plugged it in and it auto-mounted. And I'm using Linux Mint 20.2
Does it have the same permission sturcture as Debian? I recently re-installed Mint, and it was accessible previously.

I just plugged it in and it auto-mounted. And I'm using Linux Mint 20.2
Does it have the same permission sturcture as Debian? I recently re-installed Mint, and it was accessible previously.
No it doesn't Mint is based on Ubuntu - Ubuntu based OS does not require root to access ext4 - whereas Debian does

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the clarification.
So I should be okay as far as that goes, but can't figure out why my non-root user can't access the drive.

Last edited:
Your 'non user' probably has NO permissions at all !

LM 20.2 .....click on menu, typein user......click on users and groups....highlight the 'non user'....and allocate some permissions to it.
BE AWARE......giving that user permissions could give you trouble depending on who that user is.
They may be able to change things in your system which you do not want changed!

Thanks for that suggestion condobloke! I have the user account type set to admin, so I would think that would grant enough permissions to see the drive, no? But the user still gets a "Permission denied" message.

Well, I'm not sure what the issue actually was, but I unmounted the drive, re-mounted it, added it to /etc/fstab, and made sure the user had access. Then I rebooted, and everything is now working as expected.

I guess the unmount/remount fixed whatever the problem was.

G'day @Digit - glad it's sorted, if it works, use it ;)

If you would, you could go back to your first post and choose Edit, and place a [SOLVED] at the start of your title and save.

Cheers

Wizard

Staff online

Members online