[SOLVED]'sudo' vs. 'wheel'-group?

D

Deleted member 107511

Actually I read on Internet that this can be distribution specific, but i do not know that how to cross-post on Linux.org:-(...
Thanking you...

1. Is there an actual question here, besides what little is posted in the title?

2. Why are you in dev-ops with this? Are you running a business based on Linux?

3. Enlighten us by telling us which Linux distribution you are using.

Actually I read on Internet that this can be distribution specific

Which sources, and which distributions?

5. Please don't cross post, it will only confuse people.

Thank you

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

1. Is there an actual question here, besides what little is posted in the title?

2. Why are you in dev-ops with this? Are you running a business based on Linux?

3. Enlighten us by telling us which Linux distribution you are using.

Which sources, and which distributions?

5. Please don't cross post, it will only confuse people.

Thank you

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
First of all:
My sincere Apology for such a foolish act...

Distribution: Debian stable,

Question: How to allow users to exec ONLY a few(<3) selected commands with 'sudo'.
Special: "ALL=(ALL) ALL" is not intended.

My initial question was that: Is there any difference between, editing the 'sudoers' file and adding the interested user into the 'wheel' group, and is it distribution(s of interest: Debian, RHEL, ArchLinux) in(dependent).

Thanking you...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just run visudo and scroll to near the bottom, AFAIK Rhel based usually has the wheel group, Debian based the sudo group and some distributions have both so you can choose. If your prefer one group name over another you are free to configure that group in there yourself.

Last edited:
Thanking you for the kind reply, but may i ask that in: "ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL", which 'ALL' to replace with the command, intended to be accessed as sudo?

Most distributions have examples near the bottom of what opens when you run visudo. This is an example from Rhel.
## Allows members of the users group to mount and unmount the
## cdrom as root
# %users ALL=/sbin/mount /mnt/cdrom, /sbin/umount /mnt/cdrom

## Allows members of the users group to shutdown this system
# %users localhost=/sbin/shutdown -h now
Keep in mind the # are comments so you will have to uncomment the lines defining the commands allowed to be run by that group using sudo.

Last edited:

Members online