[SOLVED(through 'tmux')]How to scroll up/down in debian console(not xterm, ...)?

D

Deleted member 107511

Hello,
Im new to the debian(and company), but 2 yrs. old to Ubuntu and Mint.
May i ask that how do i scroll up and down in the console of the debian buster 10.6(installed through network-install.img)?

host: PC, BIOS, amd64, 4GiB, 750GB, Core_i3(2nd, M-series).
not-working: Shift+PgUp/PgDown.
temp.-workaround: "<command> | less".

NOTE: I will NOT be able to post for a very long time here again, but will read the replies and after some and also add the "[Solved]"(if solved), so please write all the possibilities known to you.
Thanking you...

If you’re talking about the login shell - one way to access scroll-back functionality is to use a terminal multiplexer like screen, or tmux.

In tmux you press your leader key (which by default in tmux is C-b i.e. control and b. But it can be remapped - I remapped my leader key to C-a) then press { which puts tmux into copy mode.

From there, if your shell is set to use emacs style keybinds (default in most shells) you can use the up/down arrows to move the cursor up or down through the scroll-back buffer. Left and right arrows move the caret a character to the left, or right. Or use emacs style keybinds like C-v and alt-v to go down/up a whole page. Other emacs-style motion keybinds work too!

If, you have your shell set to use vi style keybinds, you can use j to move up a line, k to move down, h and l move the caret left and right. C-b to scroll back a page, or C-f to scroll forward a page. And again - other common vi/vim motion keybinds will work.

Tmux’s Copy mode can also be used to highlight/select text to copy/paste- which allows you to copy text to an internal buffer and paste it into any other terminals you have open in tmux. There is also an add-on for tmux called tmux-yank, which can copy text to the global clipboard - which will allow you to paste text in applications running outside of your tmux session ( E.g. in a desktop/window manager, this is handy for copy/pasting Error messages from a tmux session in the terminal into your browser, to search for a solution to a problem, or into any other GUI based applications you might need to paste text into!).

But I won’t go into detail on selecting/copying/pasting text here. The main thing you’re interested in is using the scroll-back.

To exit tmux’s copy mode, hit escape or use C-c and you’ll be returned to normal mode and will be at the end of the buffer, ready to enter another command.

I haven’t used screen in a long time, but it has a similar copy mode, which functions similarly and gives you a scroll-back mechanism.
There’s a post describing its functionality here:

If you’re talking about the login shell - one way to access scroll-back functionality is to use a terminal multiplexer like screen, or tmux.

In tmux you press your leader key (which by default in tmux is C-b i.e. control and b. But it can be remapped - I remapped my leader key to C-a) then press { which puts tmux into copy mode.

From there, if your shell is set to use emacs style keybinds (default in most shells) you can use the up/down arrows to move the cursor up or down through the scroll-back buffer. Left and right arrows move the caret a character to the left, or right. Or use emacs style keybinds like C-v and alt-v to go down/up a whole page. Other emacs-style motion keybinds work too!

If, you have your shell set to use vi style keybinds, you can use j to move up a line, k to move down, h and l move the caret left and right. C-b to scroll back a page, or C-f to scroll forward a page. And again - other common vi/vim motion keybinds will work.

Tmux’s Copy mode can also be used to highlight/select text to copy/paste- which allows you to copy text to an internal buffer and paste it into any other terminals you have open in tmux. There is also an add-on for tmux called tmux-yank, which can copy text to the global clipboard - which will allow you to paste text in applications running outside of your tmux session ( E.g. in a desktop/window manager, this is handy for copy/pasting Error messages from a tmux session in the terminal into your browser, to search for a solution to a problem, or into any other GUI based applications you might need to paste text into!).

But I won’t go into detail on selecting/copying/pasting text here. The main thing you’re interested in is using the scroll-back.

To exit tmux’s copy mode, hit escape or use C-c and you’ll be returned to normal mode and will be at the end of the buffer, ready to enter another command.

I haven’t used screen in a long time, but it has a similar copy mode, which functions similarly and gives you a scroll-back mechanism.
There’s a post describing its functionality here:

Added: "[SOLVED(through 'tmux')]", to the thread headline.

Added: "[SOLVED(through 'tmux')]", to the thread headline.
Please do not think that im (being) rude, but i liked your post and i do not find any purpose of increasing
the post count, which inturn increase your storage requirements...

Members online

Latest posts