[solved] Unbound DNS Server: strange problem resolving opensuse.org

rch

Reaction score
Credits
Hey,

I'm running a Raspberry 3 with pi-hole and unbound for some weeks now, for ad & malware blocking in my local net. Without any problems at all - until yesterday, when I decided I need podman on another Ubuntu machine in my network.

The repos are hosted @ download.opensuse.org, the download failed and the website didn't load. My first thought was opensuse.org is down (which is ofc silly to assume). Then I checked if the domain accidentally landed on a blocklist, which wasn't the case. Soon I realized it's a dns problem and I'm not able to dig / host / drill / whatever opensuse.org (status: SERVFAIL).

This is the only domain that cannot be resolved so far, and I just don't know why & what to do anymore. I already tried lots of different things to get this running, without any success. Of course I could get my package in other ways, but I also want to know what's wrong with my DNS Server.

I recorded an unbound log with highest verbosity (5) here, where I try to dig opensuse.org:
https://termbin.com/6pip

This is my unbound config:
https://termbin.com/y7uf

Hopefully someone here has an idea, there was some person on a german board that had exactly the same problems with opensuse.org in May 2020, but sadly there was no solution at all in that thread. There must be something special about this domain. :rolleyes:

EDIT: i found another user from portugal who also cannot resolve opensuse.org with unbound here on reddit, and also vodafone.pt: this domain also cannot be resolved here. He/She's also using pihole / unbound, so I think this must be a common configuration problem somewhere in this setup.

thanks
rch

Last edited:

It's solved, this can be closed. it's just the subnet that my provider dynamically gives me seems to be blocked by those dns servers. If I restart the router and get another IP in another subnet everything works.

Members online

Latest posts