[SOLVED] USB Hub issue

vividvibe

Reaction score
Credits
I have a USB 3.0 4-port hub attached to my desktop PC. When I try to plug in more than one USB drive, my system freezes. More specifically, I should say, my keyboard and mouse freeze. If I remove all but one USB drive, the keyboard and mouse function as usual. The hub is plugged in to a rear 3.0 port and I have tried multiple ports with the same issue. If I plug one USB drive into the hub and one into the built-in USB ports on the computer, the same results occur. The hub functions normally on a separate Windows laptop PC. I have tried every port, even the two front ports on my Linux PC, to the same avail. I should note that my thumb drives are USB 3.0 as well. Has anyone else experienced such a thing? I've Googled and read posts until my eyes were crossed and came across nothing helpful. Thank you in advance to anyone that can help me with this matter. These are the results of lspci:

$ lspci | grep USB
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Controller
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI Controller #2
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI Controller #1

Edit: I am running Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon DE, using kernel 5.18.2.

Edit#2: Turns out I'm an idiot for not trying this in the first place. I changed where the dongle for my keyboard and mouse was to the hub itself, and now both USB drives are recognized and usable and the mouse and keyboard no longer freeze. Special shout out to KGIII for helping me for what was simply human error. In the future, I'll try to place the dongle in a non-3.0 port on the back of my computer and try to produce the same positive results. It turns out that RF interference can play a part as far as dongle placement, specifically if it is in a 3.0 port.

Last edited:

Thank you for responding KGIII, I'll check the logs.

You can take what you find in the logs and toss it into your nearest search engine - and maybe find something. You can also copy and paste, adding some information here (not the entire logs, just the errors from around the time your USB was acting up) and someone here may recognize the problem.

Also, knowing which version of Linux, desktop, and version number may be important.

Also, knowing which version of Linux, desktop, and version number may be important.
This is the only error that KSystemLog reported:

Could not set mount point in database 'urn:nepomuk:datasource:DE40672D40670B99', GDBus.Error:eek:rg.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message recipient disconnected from message bus without replying

Edit: Not sure why it inserted emojis.

Telling it not to insert emojis is a pain in the butt - it's under the right-most 3 dot menu and is under 'BB Code'.

That's the only error that popped? That's very, very curious.

This is outside my wheelhouse, so I'm probably not going to be the one to resolve this for you. (I'll make sure you know that.) The best I can *likely* do is prod you to spit out the right bits of information that jive with someone else's experiences.

If you take part of that - I picked the last bit, starting with 'message recipient' and add 'usb freezes', you can narrow down some results.

One of the recurring themes in the search results is that the USB device they're sticking in there is frequently a phone.

Telling it not to insert emojis is a pain in the butt - it's under the right-most 3 dot menu and is under 'BB Code'.

That's the only error that popped? That's very, very curious.

This is outside my wheelhouse, so I'm probably not going to be the one to resolve this for you. (I'll make sure you know that.) The best I can *likely* do is prod you to spit out the right bits of information that jive with someone else's experiences.

If you take part of that - I picked the last bit, starting with 'message recipient' and add 'usb freezes', you can narrow down some results.

One of the recurring themes in the search results is that the USB device they're sticking in there is frequently a phone.
Yeah, a lot of the searches I have done generally mention MTP, which is for phones. I'll narrow the searches like you suggested. I will edit my post if anything substantial arises. Thank you for you time and effort.

@vividvibe welcome to linux.org :), glad the problem seems sorted.

If you like, you can go back to your first Post and edit the title to say

[SOLVED] USB Hub issue​

Also, if all is working fine now, this is a good time to do a full snapshot with Timeshift.

If you have any questions on how best to utilise timeshift for your rig, ask away at my Thread

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

Cheers, and enjoy your Linux.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

@vividvibe welcome to linux.org :), glad the problem seems sorted.

If you like, you can go back to your first Post and edit the title to say

[SOLVED] USB Hub issue​

Also, if all is working fine now, this is a good time to do a full snapshot with Timeshift.

If you have any questions on how best to utilise timeshift for your rig, ask away at my Thread

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

Cheers, and enjoy your Linux.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
I will certainly do a Timeshift and I edited the post title. Thank you for the advice.

Members online