[SOLVED]xserver wont start dwm because of auto script without "&" ran on startx

cathal

Reaction score
Credits
I have a script that is run through .xinitrc however I accidently forgot to add back a "&" back to the script. This is why I think when on login I am greeted with a black screen.
the script is a while loop that will run indefinately. Please help me solve this I cant think of what to do really.

The only fix I can think of is editing grub or something to force xserver to fail

update:
I solved it! I had another linux install on my sd card and just edited the files through that

Last edited:

Use Ctrl+Alt+F3 to switch to a different virtual terminal. Log in from there and edit the script with nano. Save and reboot.

If F3 doesn't do the trick, try another one of the F-keys.

Use Ctrl+Alt+F3 to switch to a different virtual terminal. Log in from there and edit the script with nano. Save and reboot.

If F3 doesn't do the trick, try another one of the F-keys.
I have solved it. That wouldn't have worked the issues was a script I had running infront of my wm without "&". This meant that it would run and nothing else would. I had to use an external usb with linux on it to edit the .xinitrc.

I have solved it. That wouldn't have worked the issues was a script I had running infront of my wm without "&". This meant that it would run and nothing else would. I had to use an external usb with linux on it to edit the .xinitrc.
I'm glad you got it solved, although I still think that my solution would have worked. Logging into a new virtual terminal doesn't automatically start X, so .xinitrc shouldn't have run in that case.

I'm glad you got it solved, although I still think that my solution would have worked. Logging into a new virtual terminal doesn't automatically start X, so .xinitrc shouldn't have run in that case.
Ok I should have made clear that I do not have a display manager. My xserver is launched through the .bash_profile. I am using dwm. This means that login via tty will always launch x( I have verified this is the case btw ). I now made a new user that allows you to su( this does not startx ).

Members online

Latest posts