SOLVED: Zorin OS 16 Core won't start

N0men2413

Reaction score
Credits
Hi!

I'm a Linux newbie. I've installed my first Linux distribution just yesterday. I chose Zorin OS 16 Core, installation went fine, OS was running well. When I turned my PC off for the first time, it froze. I waited for ~2 minutes and then it displayed this on a black screen:

Code:
systemd-shutdown[1]: Waiting for process: Xorg

followed by this like a million times:

Code:
nvidia-modeset: ERROR: GPU:0: Error while waiting for GPU progress: 0x0000c57d:0 2:0:4048:4040

After several minutes the PC turned off. When I turned it on today it got stuck on a boot loading screen.

1. I didn't delete any files, I tried not to mess up the system in any way, I used terminal only to install software
2. I've got dual boot with Windows 11. GRUB works fine and loading into Windows 11 also works fine. Both OS's are installed on the same disk
3. My GPU is GTX 1650-Ti

Help would be appreciated. Thank you very much!

Last edited:

Try and remove any Nvidia apps and clean install Nvidia drivers - you may have to enter the shell prompt first - The typical way to drop to a shell is to press Ctrl+Alt+F1 or Ctrl+Alt+Any function key from F1 through F6. This should make your screen go black for a second or two before it displays a textual login prompt. Use your regular desktop login username and password to log into the shell.
The run
Code:
sudo apt-get purge *nvidia*
sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
then reboot

Last edited by a moderator:
And make sure you have disabled windows quick start in the BIOS

Try and remove any Nvidia apps and clean install Nvidia drivers - you may have to enter the shell prompt first - The typical way to drop to a shell is to press Ctrl+Alt+F1 or Ctrl+Alt+Any function key from F1 through F6. This should make your screen go black for a second or two before it displays a textual login prompt. Use your regular desktop login username and password to log into the shell.
The run
Code:
sudo apt-get purge *nvidia*
sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
then reboot
Solved. Thank you!

EFI/UEFI has replaced the BIOS for more than a decade.

While technically correct, it seems that most people still refer to it as BIOS (with the occasional 'CMOS' thrown in) -- probably out of habit. Then, there's some potential confusion... If your EUFI is in legacy mode, is it BIOS at that point?

I just let it slide when I see folks call it BIOS - and actually often call it BIOS myself to avoid confusion. BIOS is what people know. BIOS is what people still call it. That's not a hill I'm willing to die on.

While technically correct, it seems that most people still refer to it as BIOS (with the occasional 'CMOS' thrown in) -- probably out of habit. Then, there's some potential confusion... If your EUFI is in legacy mode, is it BIOS at that point?

I just let it slide when I see folks call it BIOS - and actually often call it BIOS myself to avoid confusion. BIOS is what people know. BIOS is what people still call it. That's not a hill I'm willing to die on.
I prefer the term FIRMWARE, since it's applicable to not only PCs, but also to Mac and Android and Cameras and Automobiles and . . . .

The Bios have been in computers since 1975, EUFI is just a more modern version, they are both Basic Input/Output System's for the start-up programs and motherboard firmware, As I have been using the term since my first IBM compatible in 1982, most people bought up with computers will know what is the BIOS means, it is easier to use that term than have to explain what the difference is between Bios and EUFI

The Bios have been in computers since 1975, EUFI is just a more modern version, they are both Basic Input/Output System's for the start-up programs and motherboard firmware, As I have been using the term since my first IBM compatible in 1982, most people bought up with computers will know what is the BIOS means, it is easier to use that term than have to explain what the difference is between Bios and EUFI
Isn't it nice that COMPAQ (or ?) stole it from IBM, er, reverse engineered it? No need to explain either, both contain the same number of letters, four. BIOS, SATA, SCSI, SIMM, UART, PCIe, NVMe, DIMM, DDR3, HDMI, HDTV, TRRS, RAID, VESA, JPEG, EULA, are all fairly easy to remember, adding one more acronym of four letters shouldn't be a problem.

Members online

Latest posts