Some guidance with apt and file extraction after deb.packages d/l plz?

See if you have gdebi installed...
Code:
which gdebi

OK, good. So if you download a .deb file to your Downloads directory, you can just double-click on the .deb file, and gdebi will open up to help you install it. It's past midnight for me so I gotta go, but if you are interested, tomorrow I will leave instructions here for you to download and install a spare web browser. It downloads as a .deb file, so it would be good practice, and you can delete it later if you don't like it or just want to free up the space.

OK, good. So if you download a .deb file to your Downloads directory, you can just double-click on the .deb file, and gdebi will open up to help you install it. It's past midnight for me so I gotta go, but if you are interested, tomorrow I will leave instructions here for you to download and install a spare web browser. It downloads as a .deb file, so it would be good practice, and you can delete it later if you don't like it or just want to free up the space.
this sounds great enough for me my friend ill check back tomorrow as im definitely not bored or lacking other things to do on here untill then thank you very much have a great nite!

'bzip2 is already the newest version (1.0.6-9.2~deb10u1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.' or 'E: Unable to locate package bzip2_1.0.6-9.2~deb10u1_amd64.deb' is all i get back , ive even tried watching Youtube videos on it to figure it out but havent done so yet, it has worked for me in the recent past too tho just recently it hasnt been working out so well
What GNU/Linux distribution and version are you running?

But something something weird going on the OP's system, since when I try it on my Debian vm it works.
Code:
root@debian:/var/cache/apt/archives# dpkg -i unzip_6.0-23+deb10u2_amd64.deb
(Reading database ... 105460 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack unzip_6.0-23+deb10u2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking unzip (6.0-23+deb10u2) over (6.0-23+deb10u2) ...
Setting up unzip (6.0-23+deb10u2) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.62) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.5-2) ...

OK, here is a brief (I hope) tutorial on using gdebi on Debian. I'm using Debian 10 in a virtual machine to try to avoid differences, though we may be using different Desktop Environments. We will install the Vivaldi web browser, a very nice primary or backup browser, made by the creator of the Opera browser.

1. Go to https://vivaldi.com and click the big red (pink?) "Download Vivaldi" button near the top.

2. Click on the big green button "Vivaldi 3.6 for Linux DEB" and choose "Save file"

3. Mine did not prompt me where to save it (Firefox is configured to always save in Downloads on my copy). But Firefox presents a popup window showing download completed, and there is a small black folder icon you can click to open the location where it is stored... probably Downloads.

4. Double-click on the vivaldi-stable.deb file (it shows version number and amd64 too). Then wait for a few seconds. gdebi (says Package Installer on the window title) will have a button in the upper right that is dimmed out and not clickable at first. So you need the little pause so gdebi can look for dependencies that Vivaldi needs to run... and it finds one needed package. If you click the Details button, it will show you it needs wget. Other programs may need a long list of dependencies, so it's good that gdebi takes care of this for you.

5. Now, after this brief pause, the "Install Package" button becomes available. Click it, and give your root password.

6. Now wait for another brief pause. It may seem like gdebi closes and disappears, but it's working. It will eventually show you a progress bar indicating the install is proceeding. When it says, Installation finished," you can click the Close button. Now gdebi is still open, but in the upper right you see 2 buttons, one to "Reinstall Package" and one to "Remove Package." The "Status" on the left says, "Same version is already installed." So, you're finished at this point, and you can click the X to close gdebi, or Quit from the File menu, or CTRL-Q (a common shortcut to close windows in Linux).

7. Go to your Applications > Internet category and run Vivaldi. If you're using Gnome Desktop, type Vivaldi in the search box for your applications. However you get there, it should be listed next to Firefox if you have an Internet category, or maybe alphabetically in Gnome. This is the newest version of Vivaldi, and it should update automatically when you run Debian Updates. Vivaldi starts with a lot of advertising on its main page... you can hover your mouse over the upper right corner of each ad and click the " - " sign to remove each one. Beyond that, there are MANY configuration settings that can make this browser a real pleasure to use.

8. You can delete the Vivaldi .deb file now. Or, if you keep it, you can double-click it at a later time and you will get the last screen you saw which will allow you to "Remove Package." But there are other ways to remove it if you choose to delete the .deb file, so don't keep it just for that reason.

Success? This is a very easy graphical way to install .deb files, and all dependencies are satisfied. You don't need to know terminal commands or paths, though you will want to learn these things too.

Last edited:
root@debian:/var/cache/apt/archives# dpkg -i unzip_6.0-23+deb10u2_amd64.deb
But the OP does not seem to have tried that, or else it failed for him with "file not found." His #1 post showed his different command below, which also failed for me the in the exact same way, but not using Debian, and also not having any bzip2 .deb file in /var/cache/apt/archives. My Debian 10 VM also does not have any bzip2 .deb file in that archives location. Yours did? Or you downloaded it there?

root@Ron-mans-iMac:/var/cache/apt/archives# sudo apt install bzip2_1.0.6-9.2~deb10u1_amd64.deb

I don't know how he got into the confused starting point, and I only wished to get him out of it. gdebi seemed to be the simple solution for a new user having trouble with the command line. :)

@Chaganja Can you share the output of the following?
Code:
ls -l /var/cache/apt/archives/bzip2_1.0.6-9.2~deb10u1_amd64.deb

Code:
user1@Ron-mans-iMac:/var/cache/apt/archives$ ls -l
total 4148
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 48360 Jul 20 2019 bzip2_1.0.6-9.2~deb10u1_amd64.deb
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Sep 29 14:21 DEBIAN
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 541500 Mar 2 06:27 grub2-common_2.02+dfsg1-20+deb10u4_amd64.deb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2488636 Mar 2 06:27 grub-common_2.02+dfsg1-20+deb10u4_amd64.deb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 39848 Mar 2 06:27 grub-efi-amd64_2.02+dfsg1-20+deb10u4_amd64.deb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 669912 Mar 2 06:27 grub-efi-amd64-bin_2.02+dfsg1-20+deb10u4_amd64.deb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 439300 Mar 2 11:07 grub-efi-amd64-signed_1+2.02+dfsg1+20+deb10u4_amd64.deb
-rw-r----- 1 root root 0 Feb 9 07:06 lock
drwx------ 2 _apt root 4096 Mar 4 03:12 partial
btw, i did try the suggestion 'dpkg -i unzip_6.0-23+deb10u2_amd64.deb' going to now try the following instructions on GDebi, i wonder if my .desktop files could be misplaces in any way too?, just speculating on somethings as far as reading on .desktop files needing to be in certain areas to give certain files permission to become listed on menu lists

Code:
[
Code:
user1@Ron-mans-iMac:/var/cache/apt/archives$ ls -l /var/cache/apt/archives/bzip2_1.0.6-9.2~deb10u1_amd64.debls -l /var/cache/apt/archives/bzip2_1.0.6-9.2~deb10u1_amd64.deb
ls: cannot access '/var/cache/apt/archives/bzip2_1.0.6-9.2~deb10u1_amd64.debls': No such file or directory
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 48360 Jul 20 2019 /var/cache/apt/archives/bzip2_1.0.6-9.2~deb10u1_amd64.deb
this maybe more what your looking for as well, with the filename at the end

But the OP does not seem to have tried that, or else it failed for him with "file not found." His #1 post showed his different command below, which also failed for me the in the exact same way, but not using Debian, and also not having any bzip2 .deb file in /var/cache/apt/archives. My Debian 10 VM also does not have any bzip2 .deb file in that archives location. Yours did? Or you downloaded it there?

I don't know how he got into the confused starting point, and I only wished to get him out of it. gdebi seemed to be the simple solution for a new user having trouble with the command line. :)
i think ive asked my question all wrong from the beginning or something like it honestly, im trying to get these 'installed files' to appear onto my applications menu list after Gdebi does an installation on them, the exact same thing happened with the vivaldi browser download, its in ./downloads but hasnt shown up in my apps menu list from the top left hand icon of the screen, nor does it seem to be extracted, i completed this task yesterday with audacity and audacity is loaded into my apps menu, i can go right into apps/multimedia and click and open audacity with an issue, this is all i want to do with the rest of my downloaded packages, though some dont always do what we particularly want ive learned as well thank you for bearing with me through this. well solve it hopefully soon or i will have to keep on trying to work it out
*must retract my statement about the vivaldi browser not showing up in my browser applications menu, but it seemed only from command line i did 'apt install /home/user1/Downloads/vivaldi-stable_3.6.2165.40-1_amd64.deb' and after that it appeared in apps menu/internet, my apologys*

Last edited:
But something something weird going on the OP's system
Yes indeed. Since it seems the file is present in /var/cache/apt/archives.

i think ive asked my question all wrong from the beginning or something like it honestly, im trying to get these 'installed files' to appear onto my applications menu list
Well, bzip2 is a command-line only utility... these don't typically show on graphical application menus.

*must retract my statement about the vivaldi browser not showing up in my browser applications menu, but it seemed only from command line i did 'apt install /home/user1/Downloads/vivaldi-stable_3.6.2165.40-1_amd64.deb' and after that it appeared in apps menu/internet, my apologys*
I'm glad that it is working, but gdebi should have put the menu in your applications list without resorting to re-installing with the command line. As @f33dm3bits said, "Something weird is going on." You will learn more as you go though, so don't be discouraged. I think I would suggest that you re-install Debian to eliminate possible problems you may have created. Or even better, I would recommend Linux Mint or Ubuntu as a starter OS.

OK, here is a brief (I hope) tutorial on using gdebi on Debian. I'm using Debian 10 in a virtual machine to try to avoid differences, though we may be using different Desktop Environments. We will install the Vivaldi web browser, a very nice primary or backup browser, made by the creator of the Opera browser.

1. Go to https://vivaldi.com and click the big red (pink?) "Download Vivaldi" button near the top.

2. Click on the big green button "Vivaldi 3.6 for Linux DEB" and choose "Save file"

3. Mine did not prompt me where to save it (Firefox is configured to always save in Downloads on my copy). But Firefox presents a popup window showing download completed, and there is a small black folder icon you can click to open the location where it is stored... probably Downloads.

4. Double-click on the vivaldi-stable.deb file (it shows version number and amd64 too). Then wait for a few seconds. gdebi (says Package Installer on the window title) will have a button in the upper right that is dimmed out and not clickable at first. So you need the little pause so gdebi can look for dependencies that Vivaldi needs to run... and it finds one needed package. If you click the Details button, it will show you it needs wget. Other programs may need a long list of dependencies, so it's good that gdebi takes care of this for you.

5. Now, after this brief pause, the "Install Package" button becomes available. Click it, and give your root password.

6. Now wait for another brief pause. It may seem like gdebi closes and disappears, but it's working. It will eventually show you a progress bar indicating the install is proceeding. When it says, Installation finished," you can click the Close button. Now gdebi is still open, but in the upper right you see 2 buttons, one to "Reinstall Package" and one to "Remove Package." The "Status" on the left says, "Same version is already installed." So, you're finished at this point, and you can click the X to close gdebi, or Quit from the File menu, or CTRL-Q (a common shortcut to close windows in Linux).

7. Go to your Applications > Internet category and run Vivaldi. If you're using Gnome Desktop, type Vivaldi in the search box for your applications. However you get there, it should be listed next to Firefox if you have an Internet category, or maybe alphabetically in Gnome. This is the newest version of Vivaldi, and it should update automatically when you run Debian Updates. Vivaldi starts with a lot of advertising on its main page... you can hover your mouse over the upper right corner of each ad and click the " - " sign to remove each one. Beyond that, there are MANY configuration settings that can make this browser a real pleasure to use.

8. You can delete the Vivaldi .deb file now. Or, if you keep it, you can double-click it at a later time and you will get the last screen you saw which will allow you to "Remove Package." But there are other ways to remove it if you choose to delete the .deb file, so don't keep it just for that reason.

Success? This is a very easy graphical way to install .deb files, and all dependencies are satisfied. You don't need to know terminal commands or paths, though you will want to learn these things too.
Yes indeed. Since it seems the file is present in /var/cache/apt/archives.

Well, bzip2 is a command-line only utility... these don't typically show on graphical application menus.

I'm glad that it is working, but gdebi should have put the menu in your applications list without resorting to re-installing with the command line. As @f33dm3bits said, "Something weird is going on." You will learn more as you go though, so don't be discouraged. I think I would suggest that you re-install Debian to eliminate possible problems you may have created. Or even better, I would recommend Linux Mint or Ubuntu as a starter OS.
i installed what came with the debian 10 download net install from cd/dvd-rom package which i of coarse can re-install as i may but could that be a possible issue causing any mishaps in general would you think?, glad to get your recommendations as im seeing more laptops with linux which im looking to buy do have mint and thats going to really take care of these types of smaller mysteries i get on this one now, no discouragement always learning something hah thank you very much,
Vivaldi is a nice browser worth keeping i wanted to mention as well!

Last edited:
debian 10 download net install
You used the net install? So you started with just a command line, and had to install your own desktop? If you did that, you are one of the best beginners I've run into. :) Debian is a great distro, but it's not very user-friendly, especially for beginners. But there are other Debian editions that will install with a desktop, and there are some special editions that also include non-free stuff that could help with things like wireless internet adapters, or sound devices.

Maybe your Debian is okay, but your responses to all of our questions above make it seem like you may have some issues. You can keep running it if you think it's working okay. Reinstalling Debian or doing a fresh install of something else is still good experience. The more you install and configure, the better you get at it, and the better you understand each of the steps. Installing different distros also shows you different methods... some easier, maybe some are harder. Up to you.

Glad you like Vivaldi too. It's not my everyday browser, but it's my go-to if Firefox gives me any trouble, which happens on a few sites. It has a LOT of configuration options to really make it suit your needs and tastes.

Members online

Latest posts