Some people REALLY hate Ubuntu...

Thank you everyone for your responses and patience! I'm getting the new device in a few months, and in the meantime I'll do more research on Linux.

First, I'm an official Ubuntu member. I'm actually on the Lubuntu team more than I do anything with Ubuntu.

Second, there are many distros in the Ubuntu family - with a bunch being 'official flavors' - like Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, etc... So, you can get Ubuntu (they're all Ubuntu underneath) with a ton of different default configurations and default desktop environments.

Third, Ubuntu is quite the leader in the industry. There's a bunch of great reasons why they are as popular as they are. If Ubuntu wasn't good, it would be nether of those two things.

Fourth, there's no such thing as a best distro. There's only the best distro for you. See:

Fifth, there's no need to start with Ubuntu and then move to something else. You can start with Ubuntu and stay with Ubuntu. You can start with a different distro and then move to Ubuntu.

I use Lubuntu because it suits my needs and lets me get my 'work' done without getting in my way. I also like the long-term stability offered, the vast support options, and that pretty much all the Linux software is properly packaged for Ubuntu. (If it works in Ubuntu, it works in any of the different flavors of Ubuntu.)

Sixth, the people complaining about Ubuntu are often those who understand it the least. This is true for all sorts of things, including those that complain about other distros. Many of the complaints are just people spreading FUD. Again, that's true for most other distros that people complain about.'

Finally, no distro is flawless - and no distro has a perfect record. There have been faults with all of them, and in the communities that surround them. They're free and open source, meaning all sorts of people can get involved - some with less skill than others. The much vaunted Linux Mint (to cite an example) once had their forum hacked giving up user emails and passwords - and once had their downloadable .iso compromised so that people were downloading a hacked up Linux Mint. Lessons are learned. We call that progress, so long as lessons are learned.

Use what works for you - but, more importantly, take the time to find what works for you.

G'day Sueno, Welcome to Linux.org

"Hate " is such an over used word.....especially when directed at an operating system.

How....do you 'hate' an OS ?

Perhaps they dislike it becasue they have no idea how to master it/comes to terms with it ?

Grab a few usb thumb drives....download some number of different OS's (distros) onto those thumb drives so that they become BOOTABLE thumb drives.....and boot to each one, and just trust YOUR instincts to find one that suits/fits with your likes/dislikes/wants/needs etc etc

it really is terrifyingly simple. Dont limit yourself by paying too much attention to others likes/dislikes/opinions etc

If you actually went so far as to Install a particular OS ...and then found it was not really what you wanted....Simple....just choose another and install it straight over the top of the unwanted install.

All Linux distros are free. You will have wasted nothing.

Above all....Relax. Enjoy yourself. The world will not come to a standstill if the wrong os is chosen. Just choose another, breathe out and move on.
A typical install takes around 20 minutes. Often it takes less. Rarely does it take more.

Some 1's and 0's are uglier and meaner than others!
How many of us have said we hate Micro$oft and Apple!!

But seriously, I think it has to do with politics. IBM owns this company, or Oracle owns that company.
Some people say: I've had a bad experience with them in the past, so I hate anything they make.
Maybe I had an IBM computer that didn't work well, or I used an Oracle database that I never get customer support on.

For other people, I think peer pressure still matters. All my friends hate it, so I'll hate it too.

It's similar in many realms. I hate Chevolet, or I hate Fords, or I hate Chryslers.
Maybe it's because your friends hate that brand, or maybe it's because you had a bad experience with one brand.
(It broke down on me) But at the end of the day... it's just a hunk of metal... and you hurt it's feelings!
I frequently see things like I hate Dell, HP, Lenovo, Toshiba, or Apple.

Having said all that, there are some flavors of Linux I don't use. Distrowatch.org has 100 distro's listed.
It's possible there are more than that. I don't have the time and hardware to try them all.
I don't hate them, I just have never used them.

I have tried most of the "popular" Distro's. Almost all of them are good. I have had better luck with some
than others. I have noticed some are more "Enterprise" Oriented than others. (Some people hate that)
Some are more game oriented, or development oriented, or feature oriented.
Use what make sense for you. Use what has what you need, and works well with your system.

Over the years, the biggest divides I have seen in Linux over some of the weirdest things.
This one is sysV init based, that one systemd based. This one is RPM based, that one is DEB based.
This one is Wayland based, that one is X11 based. This one is a bleeding edge rolling release, that
one is a LTS stable relase. We all have "preferences".

"Hate " is such an over used word.....especially when directed at an operating system.

Ahem... too true. I suspect it doesn't matter much when talking about bits and bytes.
I suspect it matters quite a bit when talking about people.

Now the dark side.
Generally this isn't true in most flavors of Linux.. (which is why I use it)
But some OS's. Write statistics back home to mother from to time.
Some OS's are not free. Some OS's force me to upload things into the cloud.
Some OS's (Apple OS on my iPad for example) won't let me copy things I've created
in some applications to USB drives or other computers.
It's similar with Browsers (uh oh, the dreaded browser wars again)
Some want my "login credentials". Some store all my passwords.
Some send the websites I visit back to mother.

When an OS takes control of my data, and doesn't let me do things with it...

I "hate" that OS.... alas but here I am using it.

In your chosen profession, you probably have to choose between the devil and the deep blue sea ?

that is a bummer (to put it mildly)

is your retirement getting any closer?....any chance you will be able to leave the "dark side" behind ?

More beer needed.

Hi Sueno!

You can’t go wrong with Ubuntu or Linux Mint (or Ubuntu Mate).

They are called “new users friendly distros“ because they will not crash an you will have the full Linux experience.

Whitch is better? None. They are essentially the same in functionality but the configuration of the desktop is different to satisfy one taste or other.

I understand you don’t want to make a wrong choice but just maybe you are over thinking a little.

Choose the desktop you like and sooner o later you will find that they are the same (you can install the same software, the same commands in the terminal, etc.)

Enjoy the ride.

Some 1's and 0's are uglier and meaner than others!
How many of us have said we hate Micro$oft and Apple!!

But seriously, I think it has to do with politics. IBM owns this company, or Oracle owns that company.
Some people say: I've had a bad experience with them in the past, so I hate anything they make.
Maybe I had an IBM computer that didn't work well, or I used an Oracle database that I never get customer support on.

For other people, I think peer pressure still matters. All my friends hate it, so I'll hate it too.

It's similar in many realms. I hate Chevolet, or I hate Fords, or I hate Chryslers.
Maybe it's because your friends hate that brand, or maybe it's because you had a bad experience with one brand.
(It broke down on me) But at the end of the day... it's just a hunk of metal... and you hurt it's feelings!
I frequently see things like I hate Dell, HP, Lenovo, Toshiba, or Apple.

Having said all that, there are some flavors of Linux I don't use. Distrowatch.org has 100 distro's listed.
It's possible there are more than that. I don't have the time and hardware to try them all.
I don't hate them, I just have never used them.

I have tried most of the "popular" Distro's. Almost all of them are good. I have had better luck with some
than others. I have noticed some are more "Enterprise" Oriented than others. (Some people hate that)
Some are more game oriented, or development oriented, or feature oriented.
Use what make sense for you. Use what has what you need, and works well with your system.

Over the years, the biggest divides I have seen in Linux over some of the weirdest things.
This one is sysV init based, that one systemd based. This one is RPM based, that one is DEB based.
This one is Wayland based, that one is X11 based. This one is a bleeding edge rolling release, that
one is a LTS stable relase. We all have "preferences".

Ahem... too true. I suspect it doesn't matter much when talking about bits and bytes.
I suspect it matters quite a bit when talking about people.

I enjoyed reading that. Nice!

the configuration of the desktop is different to satisfy one taste or other

Aren't desktops already switchable within the OS? I watched a Debian installation tutorial and the OS literally gives you the option to choose your desktop (GNOME/Cinnamon/KDE) during installation.

Above all....Relax. Enjoy yourself. The world will not come to a standstill if the wrong os is chosen. Just choose another, breathe out and move on.
A typical install takes around 20 minutes. Often it takes less. Rarely does it take more.

Looks like that's what I'll be doing :D installing a new OS had the impression of being a total nightmare in my mind.

Aren't desktops already switchable within the OS
Some distributions give you a choice of desktop, others do not, But it is not insurmountable, this is Linux 90% of applications are interchangeable, so if you find a distribution that works for you, but you don't like the XFCE desktop and want something more like the Mac you are used to, then fine, you can install one of the handful of hakintosh desktops in place of the current one.
Remember this is Linux, It doesn't matter how experienced you are you will always be on the learning curve so.
Relax, Kick off your shoes, grab a beer, sit back, and enjoy the ride

Our beer is generic, substitute whatever your tipple is.
byogaKyrMXiEvbG0tMxz.gif

Some distros give you the ability to seclect the desktop of your choice during install like Debian. Others have different versions with different desktops such as ubuntu(Gnome) Kubuntu (KDE) Xubuntu (XFCE) Lubuntu (lxqt) Etc. Mint has 3 different .iso for different desktops. That's one of the reason I suggest you try different distros in live sessions to see which one you work with the best.
You can add different desktops to any of the Distros some easily some not so easy, then select the one you want at log in time but that can have pitfalls also as some desktops don't play well with files from others. All in all Linux gives you a great deal of choice and you are mostly in control of what you use so it can be overwhelming to some new users. But choice is good.
This site will give you an overview of some of the desktops available:
and this one will give you a short overview of some of the different Distros available.

Last edited:
There's only the best distro for you.
With that I heartily agree. For you it is an Ubuntu flavour whilst for me it is Mint as it does what I want to do no hassles and it was for me very easier to get use to after years of Vindows plus racking up to many orbits in life, so not as nimble as of yore.
@Sueno1123 G'day and welcome. So the best distro boils down to what rings the bells for you, makes you happy as you work with it.
For personally I also like Manjaro and MX distros as they are close to Mint in their desktops behaviour. :)

I missed the beginning of this thread yesterday, so my thoughts, Think of Linux distributions like a main railway terminal, the Linux kernel is the station, leaving the station are several major lines, that along the journey split into local lines then into side lines, the 3 main lines are Debian, Slackware, & Red Hat [RHEL] the biggest majority of distributions are branch lines of these 3

edit for better graphics

Attachments

• 44218-linuxdistrotimeline-72.png
    44218-linuxdistrotimeline-72.png
    169.2 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
There's a lot of good feedback on this post, so the only thing I will add, is that any distro can be a good distro for you to use. I also feel like you need to test out some different distributions in order have a preference. If you ask us what is the best distro, you will get different responses because a distro is mainly around personal preference.

The more important decision to make is whether you go with a rolling release distro or a fixed release distro. Ubuntu is a fixed release distro and the whole reason for it, is to provide stability, meaning, you wont see many package upgrades in terms of new features and functionality, this mainly to ensure that the apps on your machine run stable. On the other hand, you can opt for a rolling release, like Manjaro, Arch, EndeavourOS and have access to the latest packages with the latest features, however from time to time, you will experience some issues that you will need to fix and figure out.

At the end of the day, the difference between beginner friendly vs experienced comes down to fixed vs rolling releases. Of course there might be some differences with how the distro is packaged and it might make you chose one over the other, but for stability and ease of use, I would recommend to stick with a fixed release.

Ubuntu is also newb friendly because there's a lot of information on the internet to help you troubleshoot Ubuntu related issues.

Members online