Sound issue

BJDavis

Reaction score
Credits
I have Just recently switched from Windows 11 to Linux Mint 20.2 on my MSI GP62 7REX LEOPARD PRO laptop. When I was using the Windows OS, I was able to use my Logitech 2.1 speakers and they worked perfectly only using the headphone output --- since that's all that's available on the laptop. Sound came from all three speakers. However, since I have switched to Linux, sound only comes out of the right satellite speaker. I am very new to Linux and I have no idea if this can be fixed or what to do. I would appreciate any help. Thank you in advance

Try opening the terminal and type:

Code:
alsamixer

And press Enter

You will be greeted with a window with columns in it.

Try with your arrow keys to move to each column and raise up the volume and the rest of the column's.
If there is an mm at the bottom of the column it means it is muted.

To unmute a column move to that column with the right or left arrow key and type the letter m to unmute the column.

Once done, close the terminal.

Let me know if it helps.
IF it doesn't I have one other fix for sound.

Thank you for your reply. I followed your instructions but I can only hear the left satellite and the sub woofer.

Thank you for your reply. I followed your instructions but I can only hear the left satellite and the sub woofer.
Ok-

The only other thing that I can think of is to open Pulse Audio to control the volume.

To find out if Pulse Audio is installed run this in the terminal:

Code:
dpkg -L pulseaudio

If it returns a lot of files in a list than it's already installed.

Since you are new to Linux try using your package manager first.
Synaptic Package Manger is fairly easy to use. Just search for the package.

Thank you. Unfortunately, the Pulse Audio control didn't solve the problem. Thank you for your time anyway.

Hello again. I have no idea what I did, but I somehow got the speakers working! Thank you once again for your time!

Hello again. I have no idea what I did, but I somehow got the speakers working! Thank you once again for your time!
That's good news!

Enjoy your Linux installation.

You folks here are great and I'm sure I'll probably be coming here again --- A lot! ;)

You folks here are great and I'm sure I'll probably be coming here again --- A lot! ;)
Thanks!

We do have a good team here and they have helped me a great deal too.

Well, I didn't think I'd be back here so soon, but here I am! This time, the issue is with my desktop computer running Linux Mint 20.2. I have a Sound Blaster X AE-5 sound card installed and I'm using a Logitech 5.1 speaker system. I'm only getting sound from the subwoofer and two rear satellite speakers. The center and two front satellite speakers are silent! I did go into the alsamixer and it's not showing my sound card at all. Once again, I don't know what to do! I have attached a screenshot of the alsamixer.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-09-17 10-44-19.png
    Screenshot from 2021-09-17 10-44-19.png
    37 KB · Views: 160
Well, I didn't think I'd be back here so soon, but here I am! This time, the issue is with my desktop computer running Linux Mint 20.2. I have a Sound Blaster X AE-5 sound card installed and I'm using a Logitech 5.1 speaker system. I'm only getting sound from the subwoofer and two rear satellite speakers. The center and two front satellite speakers are silent! I did go into the alsamixer and it's not showing my sound card at all. Once again, I don't know what to do! I have attached a screenshot of the alsamixer.
Try pressing F6 and see if that shows your sound card.

What an imbecile I am! Thank you. Maybe if I would take the time to read more carefully, I might be able to figure some of these things out myself! Anyway, I was able to select my sound card, however, I'm still only getting sound out of the subwoofer and two satellite speakers (sigh)

What an imbecile I am! Thank you. Maybe if I would take the time to read more carefully, I might be able to figure some of these things out myself! Anyway, I was able to select my sound card, however, I'm still only getting sound out of the subwoofer and two satellite speakers (sigh)
Sometimes things can be right in front of me and I don't see them too.
Anyhow; that doesn't make you an imbecile.

I'm not sure what else you could try to get the sound working.

Maybe try a Google search for how to get the sound in Linux Mint 20.2 working with subwoofer and satellite speakers.

When I have more time I'll look and see if I can find a fix.

Staff online

Members online