Sound not working on any Linux distro with Zenbook 14 OLED

Yup i tried it, didn't work. Using an external speaker until this issue gets fixed. Very frustrating

Yup i tried it, didn't work. Using an external speaker until this issue gets fixed. Very frustrating
Thanks!
Well I guess I'll do the same...
The problem with Linux on laptops.. It's that I just distro hop until I found one where everything works..
Then I reinstall properly said distro before actually using it..
Anyway...

Anyone know how to make a .deb package to install this recent kernel update? after installing it crashes when I reboot and apparently I should make through a .deb package in Ubuntu 22.10

My machine is an ASUS Zenbook UX3402z

Anyone know how to make a .deb package to install this recent kernel update?

From what I can tell, your question hasn't really got anything to do with the existing thread.

You should start your own thread, perhaps in the Ubuntu sub-forum.

You could try the XanMod Kernel - https://xanmod.org/
I run it on my machines latest main kernel is 6.1.7
Did this fix the issue, though? Potentially related, sound issues with other Asus laptops have been fixed by setting a few variables using alsa-tools, as seen here, though the commands you have to run vary from model to model. Perhaps there exists a similar set for the Q409ZA?

Last edited:
Did this fix the issue, though? Potentially related, sound issues with other Asus laptops have been fixed by setting a few variables using alsa-tools, as seen here, though the commands you have to run vary from model to model. Perhaps there exists a similar set for the Q409ZA?
The thread you are looking is manipulating files for the kernel at that time 5.7 which in turn was fixed in a later kernel 5.9 I believe at that time - this problem is supposedly fixed in kernel 6.1 - whether it is or not I do not know since I do not have this Asus machine, but only a suggestion for someone to try it who has this machine

My Expirion Linux KDE Plasma is running kernel XanMod 6.1.5 - which you can get here - https://sourceforge.net/projects/expirion-linux/files/
Make a live USB and see if you machine has sound about 2.6GBs in size for the ISO

Hola alguien a conseguido algo?, he probado mil opciones y no hay forma de hacerlos funcionar yo uso debian 11 kernel 6.1.0 y aun no e obtenido ninguna solución

Hola alguien a conseguido algo?, he probado mil opciones y no hay forma de hacerlos funcionar yo uso debian 11 kernel 6.1.0 y aun no e obtenido ninguna solución

Please use a translator. This is an English-only site, as we don't have the resources to translate all the comments.

Hi! someone had managed to make it work? i am currently in a zenbook 14 oled. Tried AlmaLinux, Ubuntu, Fedora and the speakers don't work. The last thing i tried, was installing the mainline kernel for Fedora. (6.2.0 RC5) but with no success... I dont know what to do, i dont want to use windows

with linux installed, first check it is not muted in settings, if ok then
try disconnecting from mains power , switch on and boot up, then press and hold the power button down for 60 seconds and re-boot [this occasionally will fix recognition problems]

with linux installed, first check it is not muted in settings, if ok then
try disconnecting from mains power , switch on and boot up, then press and hold the power button down for 60 seconds and re-boot [this occasionally will fix recognition problems]
tried that, but no success. i think is a kernel problem, with alder lake drivers or something like that.

Found a bug report, but no fix yet

Hey guys, just saw this in the change log of 6.2.0-rc8 ALSA: hda/realtek: Add quirk for ASUS UM3402 using CS35L4. Can this be something we were waiting for?

The hda-verb commands found in this post worked for me on a UX582LR :
Bash:
hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 0x500 0xf
hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 0x400 0x7774
hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 0x500 0x45
hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 0x400 0x5289
I put them in a file and sudo that file. Works.
This post has similar commands, and I didn’t see one being better than the other, but here they are, alternatively :
Bash:
#!/bin/sh -e
  hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 0x500 0x1b
  hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 0x477 0x4a4b
  hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 0x500 0xf
  hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 0x477 0x74
  exit 0
My only problem is that even with a headset plugged in, sound is captured from the built-in mics and not the headset, and in addition sound captured by the build-in mics is not clean. People complain about me having a lot of static/background in videoconferencing. I end up using a USB sound adapter when mic is needed. But to play sound, the above works both with the built-in speakers or headset.

Hey guys, just saw this in the change log of 6.2.0-rc8 ALSA: hda/realtek: Add quirk for ASUS UM3402 using CS35L4. Can this be something we were waiting for?
I'm currently in Fedora 38.

Recently installed the last mainline kernel (6.3.0-0.rc2). With no success.
The sound is not working yet.

Where can i read about that change-log you mentioned? I didnt find it.

Thanks

Hello guys, I got the Zenbook UM3402YA and i got the same problem , i tried debian (ubuntu,zorin and mint) and arch(mangaro). None worked and i tried all the above but still no fix. In windows and in VM works just fine. I contacted with ASUS since its something everyone got a problem with and they said they dont support linux so they cant give us any drivers. If anyone comes up with a solution please tell.

Same problem with Asus Flow Z13 (2023). I tried Ubuntu 22.04 (tried stock kernel, 6.1.13, 6.2 and 6.3) and Fedora 37 and 38. No luck. Sound works only via jack and headphones connected, but speakers are silent. Obviously it works on Windows 11 flawlessly :(.

Hey folks, fixed the issue with mine with this https://github.com/thor2002ro/asus_zenbook_ux3402za
Hello and thanks for the link..

I tried running those commands but it didn't work for me (I'm running Fedora 39 with the kernel 6.5.12-300.fc39.x86_64).
What is the distro and kernel you are using?

When I look here: https://asus-linux.org/wiki/cirrus-amps/ it seems I need to have a kernel that have the 2 mentioned patches..
I guess my Kernel don't have them and I probably need to learn how to do that for Fedora...

Staff online

Members online