Sound Problems - HP Omen 17 W203NL- Pop! OS

palicao

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all
Today I installed on a partition the Pop! OS in order to be able to slowly completely migrate into Linux. I need to keep a Windows partition with my old files.
The installation went ok but the sound comes out very weird - the system only uses the underneath speaker making the sound very bad but doesn't use front speakers albeit they do work during test. edit> I also see that the microphone is always turned on.

I did a preliminary search and I found out 2 things
  1. apparently pulse - which comes preinstalled in Pop OS - has some issues with HP
  2. some user found a workaround by using hda-jack-retask, rewiring the pins seems to work for most of them, detailed instructions here https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12489414#post12489414
In my specific case though, the pins have different names and I am totally lost on what and how to rewire.
The easiest solution could be to remove pulse but it seems it's needed by Pop OS somehow.
What can I do to solve this problem?

This issue seems very specific for HP laptops but I couldn't find any ID codec as in my case it simply shows as follow, so I have no idea on what to reconnect with what.
Can I simply try out or do I risk to break down things? :)

1670605914930.png

Last edited:

Thank you!
I didn't see that thread but the comments in there do point out to the same solutions I used and that didn't work for me.
Thing is not that sounds i not working or changing volume or something like that, it's just that the upper sound outputs in the laptop are not used at all by whatever control the sound output
anyway installing pavucontrol made me see the microphone i always active as well

palicao wrote:
the upper sound outputs in the laptop are not used
What does the command: alsamixer show about the volumes? When you run, in a terminal, the command:
Code:
alsamixer
hit the F5 key to show all controls and if the volumes are not near maximum, you can adjust them upwards and see if that helps.

Your basic problem is you chose of POP OS, Which is built specifically for system 76 equipment, it may be Ubuntu based, but it is not a complete Ubuntu build, added to that the applications built in by system 76 to make it stable for their own kit, can cause problems.
If it works perfectly out of the box it is a fair distribution, if not it can be a pain in the butt.

palicao wrote:

What does the command: alsamixer show about the volumes? When you run, in a terminal, the command:
Code:
alsamixer
hit the F5 key to show all controls and if the volumes are not near maximum, you can adjust them upwards and see if that helps.
they are!
the issue is that the sound card is not properly used by the software hence it misses some 3d effect I didnt realize where in place while using it in windows :3
thank you for showing me anyway!

Your basic problem is you chose of POP OS, Which is built specifically for system 76 equipment, it may be Ubuntu based, but it is not a complete Ubuntu build, added to that the applications built in by system 76 to make it stable for their own kit, can cause problems.
If it works perfectly out of the box it is a fair distribution, if not it can be a pain in the butt.
I see
I basically installed it because I wanted a simple OS to try out Ubuntu on my laptop as I am Arch on the other pc.
It was suggested to me because it runs well with the nvidia cards which i have on the laptop :3