Source Connect Pro on Linux?

jwnyc

Reaction score
Credits
Trying to set up a VoiceOver studio on Mint Tricia. My manager uses Source Connect Pro and would like me to install it - but it does not run on Linux according to their tech chat. I need online ISDN transfer and broadcast quality recording capability. Anyone run SourceConnect through the dreaded WINE? Or???

There are a lot of "what ifs ..." that go along with running a program that is written and compiled solely for one OS. Whether that OS is Windows, Mac, Linux, BSD, etc. If the owner of the technology is unwilling to port to another OS, then you are at the mercy of what the owner is willing to do. If someone is unwilling to reverse engineer (technically illegal), or to write a functionally equivalent program from the ground up (can be difficult), then again you are stuck.

So your choices in some niche functions are often either keep a separate computer just to run that niche program, or to run that program in a virtual machine using a guest OS on a computer running a different host OS, or you can dual boot on a single computer that boots into one or the other of two OSes but never the two simultaneously, as needed.

Having two completely separate computers, can be expensive. Having an OS running as a guest on another OS via some virtualization application requires a computer with higher specs (RAM, CPU some storage), that too can be expensive. Dual booting only allows you to run one OS at a time, but only has larger storage requirements to accommodate both OSes, their each unique apps, and their each unique data.

Again, it's related to the old problem of bigger, faster, cheaper - pick two. And is a decision only you can make.

Trying to set up a VoiceOver studio on Mint Tricia. My manager uses Source Connect Pro and would like me to install it - but it does not run on Linux according to their tech chat. I need online ISDN transfer and broadcast quality recording capability. Anyone run SourceConnect through the dreaded WINE? Or???

Had ran across your post here and wondering if you ever found a way to make Source Connect work on your Mint install? Through WINE or some other way? Voice actor here and setting up a new Linux based workstation.

You might want to take a look at Ubuntu Studio, which is geared towards that sort of stuff. It may have the features you're looking for, or an application you're looking for. A real-time kernel/low-latency kernel is even an option. I personally don't generally need anything more complicated than Audacity, so I've never really needed to use a studio-oriented distribution.

Yes Ubuntu Studio (v 2010 now in KDE Plasma) is what I am configuring the workstation with at the moment... Just wanted to see if jwnyc has found a workable solution to the Source Connect challenge. I have long used Audacity on the Win side of things as a VO actor.. and could easily stay with it when I go to Linux.. but plug-in demands and such sort of force my hand to something my adept. I have purchased Reaper and taken a cursory look at Ardour that is inclided with Ubuntu Studio. If worse comes to worse.. will see if can get creative with WINE/JACK to run and route Source Connect Standard (not available in a native Linux version). Source Connect NOW is a different creature and runs via the CODEC in a Chrome/Chromium browser.

Hi BoBarker - The issue isn't whether or not I can record with what I have - it's the breakdown from the client that is requiring Source Connect Pro. After alot of digging, there's no way to run the Pro version (which is the only one professional clients will accept) on Linux. Source Connect NOW is a total non-starter. My manager has offered to host me for recording in his office if we book something requiring SCPro. But there are some breakdowns that have come in recently requiring ipDTL. And that works beautifully on Linux. Hope this helps.

jwnyc - I realized that you were asking particularly about getting "normal" Source Connect to work with Linux... And my original post was to see if you had made progress on that.. While you refer to it as Source Connect "Pro"... I presume you are talking about either Source Connect "Standard" or the Source Connect "Pro" version, both of which are installed programs under either Win or Mac OS... Most talent don't need the PRO version unless they need multiple connections during a session or increased bitrate or Auto Replace/Auto Restore (Mac OS)... I know what you are referring to about clients specifying Source Connect Standard (or Pro) in breakdowns.. I see the same thing through my NYC agents all the time.. It is driven largely by clients who already had SC Standard (Or Pro) installed on their end and they require it the same way some *but fewer) studios still deman ISDN (or now ipDTL to bridge to it).. My interest is in seeing if any VO or audiophile peeps more Linux saavy than I have been able to make actual installed Source Connect (Standard or Pro) run reliably in WINE. and not mess up the audio connections.. ipDTL is happy on any version of Chrome/Chromium and all the more so on the specific ipDTL versions that Kevin Leach of inQuality has released.. Are you using his ipDTL Version of Chrome on your Linux machine or just stock Chrome or Chromium?

I'm on stock Chromium, seems to be working fine. I didn't go the Wine route - the few programs I tried running through Wine were really buggy and didn't run with any stability. The Wine forums pretty much concurred - don't run it unless you really need to. So I took it off my system. Which, unusually for Linux, was also a really sticky mess to manage.

Interesting. The reason I asked is that there is one particular casting company for VO that always spec's the "downloaded ipDTL browser version"... They are being overly cautious I think.. but I get it. Not sure what your PC specs were and the like.. but I am building around an older server platform.. 2 XEON processors and 40 MB of RAM.. and on the Ubuntu Studio distro which is built to have less latency than stock Ubuntu or Mint.. hoping all of that gives me a fighting change to make WINE work if needed... but if not.. I do believe that the new Source Connect 4.0 coming out might actually be browser based... from what I "hear" so would eliminate the roadblock we have without a native Linux installed program version.

That would be great if they actually do make it browser based. Fingers crossed!

Members online

Latest posts