SSH with it prompting User/Pass instead of having to specify user in command

countryboy

Reaction score
Credits
Hi All,

I'm playing around with Red Hat Enterprise 7.6.
Basically if I need to log into a router, I would have to ssh username@router, (other ways is using the -l flag, or the -o flag).
My question is, can I type in to where it does a User/Pass prompt?
I tested this with Telnet and that's what Telnet does.

I'm thinking this is more defined on the Router than the Linux Server, but figure I double check.

If you have SSH installed and enabled on the Red Hat system, yes. Then, you can use the terminal and can ssh user@ip_address, or even just ssh ip_address. You could use the various flags, of course. If configured to do so, you can even ssh user@host_name.local.

It has been a while since I've used RHEL, but SSH is probably already enabled/installed. I seem to recall that it was a default feature. If not, you can easily check and it's easy to install. If you do install it, and it's open on the public 'net, you may want to both change the port and enable fail2ban.

All of that is easily found with a search engine, so I'll avoid a novella and stop here.

I think I didn't say the question right since it seems your referring to the ssh on the redhat server itself.

My question is getting the redhat terminal to prompt the username field instead of typing it in the command.
I want
Ssh Routerip
Router username
Router password

Instead of
Ssh username@routerip.

Like I said, if I do telnet router up it prompts
Router username
Router password

I hope this clarifies my goal.
I'm also on mobile so apologies in any typos.

Ah... No, I don't know of a way to do that - but someone might.

Google doesn't explain how to get a linux terminal to prompt a router ssh username field, and only advises to include it on the ssh command.

As I said in my original post this may be a function on my router but wanted to see if the linux terminal can help achieve the same goal.

Members online

Latest posts