Startup problem

rodmkr

Reaction score
Credits
Well I have been through most distros trying to install on an older computer.
After approximately a week I was finally able to load linux mint mate 17.1 32 bit.
The only problem so far is it is no longer updated and if you use the updater
you get updated to 19.1 64 bit which if I am not mistaken will not run on the computer
in question.
After 20 plus years of windows it will take at least a couple of years to acclimatize myself
to linux so expect a lot of questions.

Jim

After approximately a week I was finally able to load linux mint mate 17.1 32 bit.
The only problem so far is it is no longer updated and if you use the updater
you get updated to 19.1 64 bit which if I am not mistaken will not run on the computer
in question.
After 20 plus years of windows it will take at least a couple of years to acclimatize myself
to linux so expect a lot of questions.

Jim
Hi, there's 32bit iso available on Linux mint web page.
it's 19.3 Tricia version. However if it's an old pc, try to install xfce edition.

hope others will give you a better answer than mine. good day

Linux Mint Debian Edition is also available in 32 bit. It's a solid distro, but the desktop environment eats more RAM than many other choices.

You better tell us about the "older computer"

Processor:
Graphics: (if any)
Ram:
Storage

Make & Model would be really good

Welcome to Linux.org, rodmkr

Jim
Well if you have Linux Mint 17.1 installed than open the terminal Ctrl+Alt+T and copy and paste this command.
Code:
inxi -Fxz

Copy and paste the generated output into a post.

There are several 32bit Linux out - Debian, MX Linux, Devuan, Gentoo, Emmabuntus, Linux Mint DE, Sparky Linux, OpenSuse are the main ones

there are still several good 32 bit supported distros out there [as others have said] but we really do need to know what resources you box has

Bwiz

Members online