Steam on Debian 64-bit

K

Kryyll

After a long struggle, I got steam running on my debian 64-bit machine. However, whenever I try to run a game (TF2 to be exact) nothing happens. It just doesn't do anything..... Any ideas?

Update: I actually got Team Fortress 2 to run, however, the screen goes crazy and it is basically impossible to play. I had the same problem when trying to run Dota 2. Is this a graphics card problem or is it missing something that I'm unaware of? Any ideas?

Yes my system is up to date. I tried that on the wiki and the last step failed so I tried a different way that I found on the steam forums.
aptitude install libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386

That command failed and said that apt couldn't find it. I have the sid repositories in the sources file as well.

What version of the driver are you using?

Can you post the output from running Steam in a terminal?
Code:
steam --verbose
Try to open the game when looking at the output in the terminal.

Code:
Running Steam on debian  64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1386799584_client)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1386799584_client)
unlinked 0 orphaned pipes
Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element
Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 78: saw unknown, expected number
[1225/210316:ERROR:eek:bject_proxy.cc(239)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManager was not provided by any .service files
[1225/210316:WARNING:proxy_service.cc(958)] PAC support disabled because there is no system implementation

** (steam:27043): WARNING **: Could not initialize NMClient /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager: The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManager was not provided by any .service files

** (steam:27043): WARNING **: _nm_remote_settings_ensure_inited: (NMRemoteSettings) error initializing: The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManager was not provided by any .service files

PulseAudio connect failed (used only for Mic Volume Control) with error: Access denied
Generating new string page texture 2: 48x256, total string texture memory is 49.15 KB
Generating new string page texture 3: 256x256, total string texture memory is 311.30 KB
Focused window is now 1, 0
Adding license for package 0
Adding license for package 13054
Adding license for package 30126
roaming config store loaded successfully - 783 bytes.
migrating temporary roaming config store
ExecCommandLine: "/home/robert/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam --verbose"
System startup time: 6.74 seconds
OnFocusWindowChanged to unknown window type: k_EWindowTypeSteamDesktop, 0
Running Steam on debian  64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME has been set by the user to: /home/robert/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime
Generating new string page texture 67: 128x256, total string texture memory is 442.37 KB
Generating new string page texture 68: 128x256, total string texture memory is 131.07 KB
Generating new string page texture 69: 64x256, total string texture memory is 507.90 KB
Generating new string page texture 70: 32x256, total string texture memory is 540.67 KB
ExecCommandLine: "/home/robert/.steam/root/ubuntu12_32/steam steam://open/driverhelperready"
ExecSteamURL: "steam://open/driverhelperready"
Focused window is now 0, 0
OnFocusWindowChanged to unknown window type: k_EWindowTypeNonSteamDesktop, 0
Generating new string page texture 84: 128x256, total string texture memory is 671.74 KB
Game update: AppID 440 "Team Fortress 2", ProcID 27155, IP 0.0.0.0:0

(steam:27043): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: Trying to remove a child that doesn't believe we're it's parent.

(steam:27043): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: Trying to remove a child that doesn't believe we're it's parent.

pid 27158 != 27157, skipping destruction (fork without exec?)

SDL video target is 'x11'
SDL video target is 'x11'
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(gameoverlayui)/version(20131211110006_client)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(gameoverlayui)/version(1.0_client)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(gameoverlayui)/version(1.0_client)
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 78: saw unknown, expected number
[1225/210336:ERROR:eek:bject_proxy.cc(239)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManager was not provided by any .service files
[1225/210336:WARNING:proxy_service.cc(958)] PAC support disabled because there is no system implementation
Using breakpad crash handler
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 440
Forcing breakpad minidump interfaces to load
Looking up breakpad interfaces from steamclient
Calling BreakpadMiniDumpSystemInit
Looking up breakpad interfaces from steamclient
Calling BreakpadMiniDumpSystemInit
Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID:  Caching Steam ID:  76561198067762187 [API loaded yes]
Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID:  Setting Steam ID:  76561198067762187
Did not detect any valid joysticks.
[1225/210339:ERROR:eek:bject_proxy.cc(239)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManager was not provided by any .service files
[1225/210339:WARNING:proxy_service.cc(958)] PAC support disabled because there is no system implementation
This system supports the OpenGL extension GL_EXT_framebuffer_object.
This system supports the OpenGL extension GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit.
This system supports the OpenGL extension GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample.
This system DOES NOT support the OpenGL extension GL_APPLE_fence.
This system DOES NOT support the OpenGL extension GL_NV_fence.
This system supports the OpenGL extension GL_ARB_sync.
This system supports the OpenGL extension GL_EXT_draw_buffers2.
This system DOES NOT support the OpenGL extension GL_EXT_bindable_uniform.
This system DOES NOT support the OpenGL extension GL_APPLE_flush_buffer_range.
This system supports the OpenGL extension GL_ARB_map_buffer_range.
This system supports the OpenGL extension GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object.
This system supports the OpenGL extension GL_ARB_occlusion_query.
This system DOES NOT support the OpenGL extension GL_APPLE_texture_range.
This system DOES NOT support the OpenGL extension GL_APPLE_client_storage.
This system DOES NOT support the OpenGL extension GL_ARB_uniform_buffer.
This system supports the OpenGL extension GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra.
This system supports the OpenGL extension GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra.
This system supports the OpenGL extension GL_ARB_framebuffer_object.
This system DOES NOT support the OpenGL extension GL_GREMEDY_string_marker.
This system supports the OpenGL extension GL_ARB_debug_output.
This system DOES NOT support the OpenGL extension GL_EXT_direct_state_access.
This system DOES NOT support the OpenGL extension GL_NV_bindless_texture.
This system DOES NOT support the OpenGL extension GL_AMD_pinned_memory.
This system DOES NOT support the OpenGL extension GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample_blit_scaled.
This system supports the OpenGL extension GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode.
This system DOES NOT support the OpenGL extension GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info.
This system DOES NOT support the OpenGL extension GL_ATI_meminfo.
This system supports the OpenGL extension GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc.
This system supports the OpenGL extension GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1.
This system supports the OpenGL extension GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt3.
This system supports the OpenGL extension GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt5.
This system DOES NOT support the OpenGL extension GLX_EXT_swap_control_tear.
GL_NV_bindless_texture: DISABLED
GL_AMD_pinned_memory: DISABLED
GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode: AVAILABLE
GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info: UNAVAILABLE
GL_ATI_meminfo: UNAVAILABLE
GL_MAX_SAMPLES_EXT: 8
CShaderDeviceMgrBase::GetRecommendedConfigurationInfo: CPU speed: 3500 MHz, Processor: AuthenticAMD
GlobalMemoryStatus: 4294967295
CShaderDeviceMgrBase::GetRecommendedConfigurationInfo: CPU speed: 3500 MHz, Processor: AuthenticAMD
GlobalMemoryStatus: 4294967295
IDirect3DDevice9::Create: BackBufWidth: 1152, BackBufHeight: 864, D3DFMT: 3, BackBufCount: 1, MultisampleType: 0, MultisampleQuality: 0
GL sampler object usage: ENABLED
GL prefer MapBufferRange: NO

##### swap interval = 0  swap limit = 1 #####
Loaded program cache file "glbaseshaders.cfg", total keyvalues: 266, total successfully linked: 266
Loaded program cache file "glshaders.cfg", total keyvalues: 274, total successfully linked: 274
Precache: Took 10545 ms, Vertex 865, Pixel 1377
Game.so loaded for "Team Fortress"

That is what happens when I execute that command and start up the game. It definitely has to do with openGL.

Last edited:
Yeah I did and when I try to install the libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386 it says that apt cannot find it.

Alright that worked actually! Now the only problem is that the game is very dark, I haven't tried adjusting the shading or light settings yet, but other than that the game works. Thanks for your help!

Alright that worked actually! Now the only problem is that the game is very dark, I haven't tried adjusting the shading or light settings yet, but other than that the game works. Thanks for your help!

If ryan's post helped, then mark it as the "Best Answer". Enjoy Steam on Debian!

Members online