Store installed LM 18.1, Wish to replace with my original LM 18.3

From the Toshiba.

Screenshot from 2019-04-18 10-11-38.png

Screenshot from 2019-04-18 21-28-49.png

Screenshot from 2019-04-18 21-26-53.png

Screenshot from 2019-04-18 20-50-04.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Dick, from your Post at #1

I can't get online (wifi) to obtain TimeShift to reinstall.

1. From your Panel showing at the bottom of the screenshot, you have Timeshift installed, stylised T on a red background. What happens when you click that?

2. You've given us that screenshot (of the Linux Mint Mirrors featuring Clarkson University) plus 6 other attachments 3 of which are duplicated, I will clean up later. Also please choose full-size, not thumbnail. And enter lines in between.

3. Can you go into GParted, and give us a screenshot of each (if applicable) of /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc until you run out of devs?

4. Decide if you want the Sylvia on the new SSD or the WD Blue.

5. The stick the store gave you back - (from #7)

.2 1/2Mb are used and 5.5MB are free.

That is 2 1/2 GB and 5.5 GB, an 8 GB stick. The stick is compromised now, the Store have replaced its contents with just an .iso likely of Serena, you should be able to see that from Nemo.

If you can answer on 1, 3 and 4 that would be good.

Thanks

Chris

I will clean up later.

Fixed

Wiz

When next you are in Serena, I also need the output from Terminal of

Code:
df

and

Code:
sudo fdisk -l

... that's "l" for "list"

Thanks

Wiz

Hi Wiz...here we go.

1. TS was ultimately found and it does function;
2. I was trying to download an 18.3 and 19.1 from Clarkson U. figuring that the shop had seriously messed up my new 18.3 I had just bought online. I'm afraid this is just another exercise that I don't understand, Chris...and can't seem to get it done;
3. I've gone to GParted and have taken snapshots of /dev/sda; /dev/sdb;
4. I guess I'm thinking that everything should be Sylvia?...unless you have a better idea as to how you would set it up if it were yours, Woz'. What do you mean by WDBlue?;

I've taken screenshots of the above as well as the Terminal tasks. They're on the Toshiba and I'll send them separately (full size). Sorry for the duplicate answers but I'm so awkward with doing what you want on the Toshiba... going back and forth with you post that I found it easier to keep your post up on the desktop and just follow instructions on the Toshiba. They're coming right away.

By the way, somewhere during this I've lost my little applets that used to appear at the bottom of the left screen. I had to return to the Menu and bring up each program--add to Panel--but now it stuffs them all on the lower right and they're all so small I struggle to see what each of them is. I don't know what I did. Also the 'Tech' entered the name 'Richard' into this system instead of 'Dick'. How can that be changed?
Doc

Thanks for cleaning up my mess! I will try again. Forgot to mention that the Tech did something to my Toshiba keyboard and now all my special characters are hidden and I have to look under different keys to find apostrophe or + sign, etc. How do I det back my keyboard?
Doc
sda.png
sda.png
sdb.png
Screenshot df from 2019-04-19 09-55-33.png
Screenshot sudo fdisk -l from 2019-04-19 09-57-18.png
sda.png
sdb.png
Screenshot df from 2019-04-19 09-55-33.png
Screenshot sudo fdisk -l from 2019-04-19 09-57-18.png
sda.png

Changed the keyboard to US English and got rid of the Spanish which had been selected.
Added Gezakovacs setup and am attaching the shots.
Lookind forward to your blow-by-blow w/screenshots.
Doc
Screenshot from 2019-04-19 12-01-34.png
Screenshot from 2019-04-19 12-02-23.png
Screenshot from 2019-04-19 12-05-05.png
Screenshot from 2019-04-19 12-07-31.png

Well after all the refinements and snapshots, I went and did it apparently reinstalling 18.1 with Unetbootin. All my snapshots are gone. One good thing is that my Panel applets are back if I can keep my fingers off the wrong keys! Sadly it installed Serena again.
Doc

What do you mean by WDBlue?;

WD Blue is the 1 TB SSD. It is where your Serena is. If that is Serena.

Dick, I understand your desire to get things back to where they were, but you are not helping by getting ahead of me, and we are not going to a 10-page marathon again. We are only getting further and further away from the goal.

A large amount of blame can be placed on the Store in the big smoke, hindsight is no good to us now, but they have not the slightest idea what they are doing with Linux, and have set you back. You should just have got them to put in the SSD, and not touched anything else.

They did not put a burned .iso of Serena even, over the top of your Sylvia stick, because it had free space, which means they have simply copied something over to it, you should be able to see what it says with Files/Nemo.

Then they have split the new SSD into 2 partitions, roughly even, of 250 GB each, made one Ext4, which is for LInux, and given you a humongous Swap the same size, which is a waste of space.

With your older SSD, they have limited you to about 8GB of space with your system drive, where they should have allowed you at least 20 GB. The install of Serena has left only 1.64 GiB left in that partition. The .iso you are trying to download, of Sylvia, from the universities, is 1.9 GiB, and because you have your Downloads save to the home folder on /dev/sda1 instead of the home partition on /dev/sda6 ... work out the math, there is insufficient space and the exercise will fail each time.

At the moment there is no way of expanding /dev/sda1 without first deleting the extended partition /dev/sda2 they have set up, and under which /dev/sda5 and /dev/sda6 are housed. Waste of time anyway, if we are going to blow away Serena in favour of Sylvia. Likewise "Richard" vs "Dick" can be fixed later, with a new install.

All my snapshots are gone

Where did they go, Dick? Did you have the T5 plugged in, when you did the following?

I went and did it apparently reinstalling 18.1 with Unetbootin.

I will show you in the next Post what you should have done with Unetbootin, and which I spent some hours on yesterday.

Wizard

Guilty as charged, Wiz, and I'm sorry because I would not deliberately cause such a mess. And I agree that the Tech shop should not have taken the license they did especially when they didn't know what they were doing. There is nothing to be done about that.

I'll try to answer the few points that I can. No, the T5 has been unplugged. I think the pics were being placed in a pictures folder in Home...which is likely on the System drive. I really don't know what they actually did. I was surprised to see they had partitioned it when I got the notebook back home so I don't understand their logic.

Look, I'm prepared to follow step by step aad only make a move when you tell me to do so. And yes, Sylvia 18.3 was my intention all along and has not changed. So if we have to shut down the Toshiba and start from scratch then I'm o.k. with it. Once again I never in 2 lifetimes would want to piss you off! Just tell me what you want me to do.
Doc

I think the pics were being placed in a pictures folder in Home...which is likely on the System drive.

OK, I am getting a little confused here (is it any wonder? :))

When you said the snapshots are gone, were you talking about the snapshots for Timeshift which are stored on the T5, or about personal pictures taken of eg the kids and grandkids?

Below is a screenshot I took yesterday, of Unetbootin. Using Shutter actually, which I had not used for a few years.

The numbered instructions and the red and blue arrows are mine, the underlying interface is likely what you should see when you launch Unetbootin. Don't do anything with it yet.

Just read it over and see if you understand the instructions OK, obviously I have to practise a little with the text entries I made, and the arrows :).

i2vSfAY.png

UNETBOOTIN - USING IT TO BURN LINUX MINT 18.3 .iso AND ADD PERSISTENCE OF 2GB

So I have the line commencing "Leave these alone..." and then 8 lines of do this, with arrows for each.

By the time we get you sorted, Instruction 4. will show as something like /home/richard/Downloads/... if you get the picture.

But first we have to get you a Sylvia Cinn downloaded, and currently that ain't on Serena, because of the "Bodgie Brothers" in the store. We can fix that later, under a separate Thread, here I want you to focus on

Store installed LM 18.1, Wish to replace with my original LM 18.3

Flagging my plan, in case I get run over by a Mac Truck or I annoy the Easter Egg Bunny and he kicks me to death, it is my intention to have Dick -
  1. Install Unetbootin, the Windows version, on the desktop if he can ease his wife out of the chair
  2. Same computer, download Linux Mint 18.3 'Sylvia' Cinnamon from the official Linux Mint website, as he tried previously
  3. Use Unetbootin to burn the .iso and add 2 GB Persistence, on an 8 GB or so USB stick, formatted to fat32
  4. Returning to the Toshiba laptop, install LM 18.3 via the stick, likely to the new SSD, using the Erase entire disk option, which will fix that crazy partitioning with the huge swap.
  5. Is conditional on seeing whether the T5 external HDD still has Timeshift snapshots on it, and if so, to use Timeshift to restore his Sylvia to the way it was
So Dick, in closing, this is what I would like you to do before we meet next time. I will number them eg a, b, c and so on, I would like to answer them the same way.

a. Plug in the T5 to the Toshiba, wait for it to be recognised. Then open Files/Nemo and see on the left if there is an entry for it. If so,
b. Click the entry on the left pane, and see if the right pane holds any Timeshift snapshots
c. Either way (snapshots or no), take a screenshot of GParted view of the T5, it will likely be listed as /dev/sdc on the drop-down list at top right

Report back on outcomes

Thanks

Wizard

Out of power since last evening. Hurricane in the Caribbean throwing off hi-winds knocking down towers. I'm back up and thankful that you didn't tell me to take a hike.

I've only read the 1st part of your post and want to comment.
When you had told me to do certain things, I did them and took Snapshots which were saved to Home in Pictures. Then when I replied back to you I uploaded those snapshots. They were never on the T5 which I disconnected once I realized Serena had been installed. I didn't want to contaminate what was Timeshift installed on the T5 prior to replacing the HDD. So all of that info is still intact and once we get Sylvia installed we can plug in the T5 and Restore all our work...at least that's how I see it.

When I followed your terminal codes and Unetbootin was installed, I had no idea it would actually reload Serena. Yes, more of my impulsiveness that then wiped out those snapshots I had managed to take and store in the Home folder in Pictures. Had nothing to do with the T5. I hope this clears up what I was trying to say.

It's late here and I've yet to take the next step in reading/understanding about Unetbootin, It's a priority for tomorrow providing no more foul weather. I am stating for clarification that I am only to read the next section...not to take any of the steps???
Doc

When I followed your terminal codes and Unetbootin was installed, I had no idea it would actually reload Serena. Yes, more of my impulsiveness that then wiped out those snapshots I had managed to take and store in the Home folder in Pictures. Had nothing to do with the T5. I hope this clears up what I was trying to say.

And that is music to my ears :)

Terminology is what you need some practice with, and we pseudo-experts can take this for granted at times.

WIZARD'S GLOSSARY

Screenshot
- is the result of using a utility such as (GNOME's) Screenshot, which is installed with many Distros and is currently on Dick's Serena desktop, if I recall (in Panel). There is also Shutter, and a number of others, that are in your Repositories, and can be installed from the command line (Terminal) or through Software Centres, or (Synaptic) Package Managers.

You can take a Screenshot of a Window's content, or of a full screen/desktop, you can take it straight away, or set a Timer for eg 10 seconds, you can include the mouse cursor, or not.

Results you can save in an image format such as .png or .jpg, and you can upload them to sites such as this, or use image hosting sites such as Imgur to store them (a thought, Dick I have over 1,000 there, costs nothing) as a middle man to downloading and inserting them at sites such as this, full-size.

Snapshot - is a copy of a (linux) system, or partition holding an operating system, taken by software such as Timeshift, and stored in a dedicated spot, for use for recovery purposes ... to restore or replace a system or partition holding an operating system, which has headed south for the winter.

So Screenshot and Shutter take screenshots (some options also take videos), and Timeshift takes snapshots.

So you see my confusion, Dick when you told me all your snapshots had gone.

and Restore all our work...at least that's how I see it.

... and that's how I see it too, Dick :D

I am mindful of your comments about not pissing me off, and I show respect for my elders, brought up that way, and never regretted it.

Had to read you the riot act, though, because of the Simon and Garfunkel song, "Feelin' Groovy" - "slow down, you move too fast, you've got to make the morning last". :)

I would not cast you to the wolves, friend.

Back tomorrow my time (don't you hate these beastly timezones?) and we'll get crackin', as we say here

Chris

Thanks Chris...I really thought I had made the really fatal mistake in all of this process...ticking off the one person who has shown himself friendly. Gracias, Amigo!

You are 100% correct in that I get really confused (perhaps age has something to do with it!) with remembering words. I'll try harder to remember the names of things. In this regard, I did use GNomes Screenshot. It has always felt comfortable to me. I understand now that a snapshot deals with distributions and is used by Timeshift. You would think that an ex-programmer (RAMAC 403) in the U.S. Navy, I would still remember how important is nomenclature. Thanks again for your patience!...and now for the reading of your Unetbootin material.
Dick

I've read thru your mini-course on UnetBootin. Great!

However, before I start to actually perform these steps, what do you mean by "add 2GB Persistence"? These thumb drives I purchased are all 14.8 (useable) GB.

I'm writing you right now on my desktop...not the Toshiba. It is a split Win7 with a separate Linux Mint 18.3. It's never been used...haven't known how to configure it to be useful to me in all of this redesign. Is it possible that it can be useful in this present UnetBootin project? It currently does not have Unetbootin terminal downloaded but we could sure do it. If so then doing that would disable my Win7 and ongoing communication with you unless I use the Toshiba for Linux.org. Just a thought.
Doc

Update...I apparently downloaded Unetbootin to my Windows 7. It is showing as a flash drive icon in the bar below. Again I'm on hold...fingers off the keys!
Doc

What is persistence?
Usually, on a live CD or Live USB key, all modifications are discarded when you reboot.

The persistence allows you to keep your preferences and data even after reboot.

The data are stored in a special file called casper-rw (for Ubuntu, Linux Mint &c) and overlay-USBLABEL-UUID (for Fedora). This is a completely transparent process for the user

If you think you might want to save anything on the install stick, eg for moving between one computer and the other, then Persistence is handy.

For example, when you boot from the install stick and get to the Desktop, you will likely be notified that there are wifi connections that can be made, and you will click the wifi icon in the system tray, select your network connection and connect to it for internet access. This is lost on a standard install stick when you remove it or reboot.

On the persistent stick, that information is saved and can be used many times. Same with document creation and other examples. You can increase the size of your mouse cursor (I wear glasses), have a nice wallpaper background, whatever, and next time you boot from the stick, that is all there.

The somewhat arbitrary 2 GB (2048 figure) I have listed on the Unetbootin screenshot is easily accommodated by your "14.8 (useable) GB." stick.

It is better to put on Persistence at the beginning, in case you might have need of it, than to try to put it on after the stick is burned.

To burn Linux Mint 18.3 onto the stick, you first have to get a successful download of the .iso, and that cannot be easily done the way the techs set up the Toshiba, for the moment (this will all be fixed with the new install).

So if you are sure you have Unetbootin on the Windows 7, then better to download the .iso there, and then find it in your Windows downloads folder, and then use Unetbootin there to burn it to the stick.

Do you want to try that?

Wiz

Let's do it. But how will I know where to select Persistence (a box?)? When I got to the computer this a.m., the Unetbootin icon was lit up and wants me to select a distribution, etc? I am on hold to hear the a-b-c's of this move.
Doc

Unetbootin now not showing. I've tried to post the issues I'm facing at least 3 times now but I can't upload the snippets I've taken. Something is wrong and I'm stopping til I hear back from you, Wiz. Just tried again to upload 2 related files showing those snippets but there isn't any response.
Doc

On #38 - Which computer are you on, Dick, are you in Windows or Serena?

the a-b-c's of this move.

... are to follow the directions and arrows on the Unetbootin screenshot at #31.

With instruction 7. there, to determine your USB stick path, plug it in, open a Terminal on Serena and enter

Code:
sudo fdisk -l

... that is a lowercase L

The line at the bottom that says a size of 14 - 16 GB and "FAT32" will be the one, use that with instruction 7 on Unetbootin.

#39 - no idea, Dick, you must be holding your mouth the wrong way.

Wizard

Members online