Strange problem with VLC 3.0.12 on Kubuntu 21.04

aliquo93

Reaction score
Credits
A strange problem happened to me with VLC 3.0.12 on Kubuntu 21.04... basically if I go to open a video while it is in use by another program (for example I had opened a video while it was in use from the system settings, because I use a plugin to have the animated wallpaper, while the second time I still opened the same video but this time it was in use by OpenShot) the system crashes completely. Only the pointer stuck on a black background remains and no key combination (for example the classic CTRL + ALT + F2) manages to make me open a text shell from which I can reboot, so I am forced to power off the system from the shutdown key.

Has this ever happened to any of you? Do you know if maybe it's a known bug?

Last edited by a moderator:

That sounds like a bug and should probably be properly reported as such.

I'd check with the Kubuntu people as I'm not quite sure what to file it against. You could file it against VLC or the application that's managing your wallpaper (I'm not sure what that is in Kubuntu).

Also, REISUB (sysreq magic keys, if you want to look it up) will probably still work in that instance. The easier way to remember it is that it's "busier" backwards.

That sounds like a bug and should probably be properly reported as such.

I'd check with the Kubuntu people as I'm not quite sure what to file it against. You could file it against VLC or the application that's managing your wallpaper (I'm not sure what that is in Kubuntu).

Also, REISUB (sysreq magic keys, if you want to look it up) will probably still work in that instance. The easier way to remember it is that it's "busier" backwards.
Neither REISUB worked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it definitely sounds like a bug and should be reported properly. Kubuntu probably uses launchpad and the bug reporting is probably the same.

I suspect it'd be filed against KDM, but I'm not 100% sure as I'm not a huge KDE user.

You can try connecting with the Kubuntu community (they'll be receptive) in a few ways. I'll just get you a link to get started if you want to go that route.

From when your bug gets filed, it will go through the triage process. That determines the priority for the devs to fix it. A bug like this is probably only going to get a medium importance triage setting, as I don't think too many people use that feature. You'll have to file it to really know. The folks in the Kubuntu community will happily get you sorted.

Just adding my two cents: I'd bet it's a VLC bug, trust me. VLC is a terrible player which has filesystem problems (it's resource-heavy and clunky, too. The FIFO is/was broke years back and after 2 threads with th devs, spanning about a month, I got nowhere and nothing but the "it must be your configuratio" line. I set up a FIFO MPV and it works fine. MPV is a wonderful player, lightweight and easy to configure if you don't like the default keys (you can also configure some advanced features, too). All MPV lacks is a full-blown GUI, but for me that's a feature.

PS: I don't mean to bad mouth the VLC team... Well, not too much ;)

Members online

Latest posts