Struggling to get video output.

ryouga

Reaction score
Credits
Im having a problem, I used to run a 8700k and a 1080 and had similar issues or at least until I disabled hardware acceleration, nothing would boot.

My new system is a i9 9900k and 2080ti I have tried different distros solus and Kubuntu and it shows kvm disabled for a few seconds then a few lines then nothing but a few garbled pieces of texts which make me think its a dead card.

However I have zero issues on Windows apart from now and again the fan kicks in for no reason and its solved by a reboot.

To add complications originally I had a board it worked with but I broke something on board when reseating something so I replaced with a board in same rage i.e model E to Model F, reinstalled Linux, worked fine, then broke the new board (2 boards in 2 weeks) and bought the same board as board 1 i.e Model E.

Updated bios, made sure its set to OtherOS etc and it gets to this point and just shows garbled text if anything, if it was the card or board then it shouldn't have worked with the first board I have, which is same board as now.

And to be a little clearer, any pre boot text such as when I put in Solus usb it asks me if I want to boot or go into firmware, no issues there, Kubuntu shows me the Grub fine so it seems to be the point where it shows graphics rather than text that it just dies.

Any ideas?

Driver. In looking at the Nvidia site, it indicates that the 2080 is supported in Nvidia 440.64. I looked in my 18.04 Synaptic, which shows a 440-something version. I would open a konsole in Kubuntu and run ubuntu-drivers devices. it should indicate a recommended driver. You may need to install the Nvidia PPA repo:
ppa.launchpad.net/graphics-drivers/ppa/ubuntu

You get there with this:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

I would NOT jump right into 440.64, it's still has some development to do, so add the PPA, and then run:
Code:
ubuntu-drivers devices

and let it recommend something.

Last edited: