Stuck in a rut with ClamTK

ToadmanX4

Reaction score
Credits
I'm a new Linux user and installed Linux Mint 20 yesterday (Cinnamon), and downloaded ClamTK 0.03-1. I've now been trying to install plugins for Visual Studio, but I keep getting the 'apt-get to fix missing and broken packages' message. Even more, when I try the solutions that people use for getting around these issues, the command line then
tells me:

You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
thunar-sendto-clamtk : Depends: clamtk but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

And when I try to uninstall ClamTK, I am quickly met with this message:

E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

So as you can see, I am stuck in a rut where I can't install or uninstall anything, and nothing I've tried seems to work. I'm a new Linux user, so there's clearly something that I'm not seeing. I frankly don't know how to use ClamTK, as I installed it based on an article recommendation. Surely with the right settings, ClamTK will allow me to install and uninstall programs without hassle. I can't find anything about this issue elsewhere, as documentation for ClamTK is almost non-existent. Any help is much appreciated.

I've tried every method listed here:

G'day Toadman, and Welcome to linux.org

I have been using Linux mint since around 2014, I installed clamV then and found it be an absolute pain in the butt....so I listened to people with far more knowledge than I did then, and uninstalled it and have never looked at another AV for Linux since then
Their reason...."you dont need it,son. The people who make and use malware etc are far too busy aiming it at Windows machines....that is where the money is for them"
It turns out they were and are quite right.

So.....click on menu (bottom left hand corner......type in synaptic package manager......click on that name when it appears in the right hand column. You will be asked for your password.
Then, click on search...it is out on the right hand side with a small magnifying glass above it

Type ClamTK into the search box, and then click on search

clamtk will appear.....right click on it and select "mark for complete removal"

(If there is anything else in that short list related to clam, uninstall it too)
If you are not sure, come back to us, describe it, and we will tell you what you need to know. A screenshot is always good. (screenshot...menu ...type in screenshot....click on select are to grab....drag tiour cursor around the square to capture what you need to show us....and then select save.

This step is IMPORTANT....
On the left hand side of that synaptic 'window', there will be the word apply. Click on that
if you asked if you wish to remove anything else with it tick ok (unlikely)

That's it...clamtk will be gone.

No need to reboot.

G'day "Toadie" from another Aussie and welcome :)

When I saw this Thread's title I could have bet money Brian @Condobloke would be along shortly, but I wouldn't have won much because the bookies would have given me short odds.

He's right though - I've been using Linux exclusively (over Windows) for nearly 7 years now, never had a problem.

What IS important is to enable your firewall, which is not on by default following an install.

If you haven't done so, the Universal Fire Wall ships by default with your Mint.

Go to Terminal and type and enter

Code:
sudo ufw enable

and enter your password, you will be rewarded with a message that it is on, and also that each time you reboot, a small script will run that keeps it on.

Between UFW and a firewall at your modem/router end, you're not bullet-proof, but you ARE made of kevlar (see my signature).

If you ARE so inclined to want AV, maybe ask here, and then I'll move this thread to Linux Security.

Friday in Oz, so

Avagudweegend and stay safe

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

@ToadmanX4 Use VSCodium if you don't want Microsoft's telemetry.

DANG, you predicted my next question for the forum. I was having problems getting the Unity plugins I was looking for, I'm gonna try out VSCodium and come back if I have more questions, thank you so much!

Security is a process, not an application. You don't need AV software, you need to know what you're doing before you do it. This doesn't just apply to installing software, it also comes to running random terminal commands that you come across as you're searching for solutions.

Know what they're going to do before pressing the enter button. Know what the app is going to do before you install it. Make sure you get it from a trusted source. Paying attention is your greatest asset, not some code that may or may not help depending on the definitions in the database.

This is less true if it's a public-facing server, of course. In that case, you may want a firewall, fail2ban, and stuff of that nature - but that's a topic for another day. Also, if you're regularly sharing files that can be executed with Windows users, then you may want AV. As a regular user, the time you spend configuring it would be better spent understanding the risks and just avoiding them.

Members online

Latest posts