Sudden wifi issues

linprint

Reaction score
Credits
Every once in a while, I suddenly experience an issue on my laptop where the WiFi stops working, though the Wifi manager displays that it is still working - and when I try to disable Wifi (so I can restart it again), the Wifi manager still reports the Wifi being on (so it seems it won't turn *off*). When I then try to restart my laptop, it does not turn off by the usual interface (running shutdown in terminal also doesn't work). I have only been able to deal with this by manually holding the power button on my laptop to turn it off, and when it restarts the problem is gone (I notice that the Wifi manager does say Wifi is disabled upon this restart).

Does anyone have ideas what the issue might be? If so I would be very thankful. I'm running Ubuntu 18.04 and in case it's useful, I'm attaching the results below of running dmesg while the issue was occurring.

Attachments

• errorlog.txt
    246.3 KB · Views: 337

G'day linprint, Welcome to Linux.org

How long has this been happening?

Can you remember if there was a kernel update around the same time it began happening?

Have a read through this...it may help

There is a setting to "Turn off WIFI to save power".....I am not familiar with Ubuntu settings on laptops but if you find such a setting, make sure it is turned back to ON.
You can also elect to change the 'screen time out' to Never....your laptop would probably need to be constantly plugged into the power supply to do this.

This is has been happening for a couple months, I think -- it used to happen fairly rarely (maybe once in 2 weeks) but for some reason has been more common recently, sometimes happening twice in a day. Unfortunately I don't recall if there was a kernel update when this started.

Thanks for the link -- I will try out the suggestions and see if the problem recurs.

On your log I noticed a lot of
PKCS#7 signature not signed with a trusted key
[70397.720897] CPU10: Core temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 16927)
[70397.720918] CPU11: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 93913)
[70397.720919] CPU4: Core temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 16927)

What kernel are you running and do you have an NVIDIA card?

Also check your fans, may need to clean them compressed air works pretty well

Staff online