Suggest me a Linux OS, to run on my OLD 2GB RAM Laptop?

Shijune

Reaction score
Credits
I am thinking of installing Linux in my laptop for my daily use. As I am new to this OS installing so, I have a few questions, and would very much appreciate your help. (Please forgive me if any of my questions are too basic, I am NEW to this.) These are specs of my laptop.

• Windows 7 professional 64 bit
  • Resolution 1366*768.
  • Intel Pentium B950, 2.1GHz
  • 2GB DDR3 RAM
My doubts: https://showbox.tools/

1. I don't want to replace windows but use dual OS and switch to Linux for my daily needs. Will having/using 2 OS slow down my laptop?
My requirements:

1. I want the OS to run full-screen in my laptop. I don't want to waste screen space. (Zorin Lite and many other distros resolution is lesser than my laptops resolution)
  2. It should have a good GUI especially beginner friendly.
  3. It should be suitable for Web browsing ( I use Firefox and access web through USB TETHERING), MS Office, PDF reading/editing , And some Mp3 playing.
Please suggest me any suitable Distros.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 101831

brickwizard

Reaction score
Credits
Welcome to Linux.org
I think your machine is about a 2011 build [make and model would confirm this] It should run most builds of linux, But due to only 2 gb ram I would look at either increasing it to 4gb or using a medium weight distro... Peppermint, MX linux, Lubuntu, linux lite etc.
Most builds can be run live for testing from a usb pendrive, and again most will give you the option of automatic install alongside your windows.

Bwiz

brickwizard

Reaction score
Credits
Will having/using 2 OS slow down my laptop?
Sorry missed this bit... the answer is no, as you will not be able to run both at the same time , each OS will run at its own speed for your equipment
going back to my previous answer you may not like the desktop, but MX will be one of the fastest mid weight distibutions

sam444

Reaction score
Credits
I am thinking of installing Linux in my laptop for my daily use. As I am new to this OS installing so, I have a few questions, and would very much appreciate your help. (Please forgive me if any of my questions are too basic, I am NEW to this.) These are specs of my laptop.

• Windows 7 professional 64 bit
  • Resolution 1366*768.
  • Intel Pentium B950, 2.1GHz
  • 2GB DDR3 RAM
My doubts:

1. I don't want to replace windows but use dual OS and switch to Linux for my daily needs. Will having/using 2 OS slow down my laptop?

The problem is...you have a slow CPU and only 2GB of Ram, I don't think Dual Boot would work or would a VM either. If you can add another 2GB or 4GB of Ram you may get away with it. ;)

linuxxkursat

Reaction score
Credits
I have a pc like this, and it use linux mint at this. It has win10 before mint, but mint is better than win10. i suggest linux mint. Also you can use linux lite, xubuntu.

Tolkem

Reaction score
Credits
I can suggest this https://q4os.org/downloads1.html It ships in 2 versions: Plasma Desktop and Trinity Desktop, I use the one with Plasma in a similar setup(2 GB RAM) and it works great.
The minimal hardware requirements:
Plasma desktop - 1GHz CPU / 1GB RAM / 5GB disk
Trinity desktop - 300MHz CPU / 128MB RAM / 3GB disk
For that Intel CPU, I'd say go with Trinity, which is pretty friendly on resource usage:
image9.jpg

You could try Plasma too, and see how that goes
image5.jpg

$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Members online