• Fedora

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Linux mint

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
S

SuriyaKumar

Help me to choose Linux distribution for home use. Specification- Intel i3, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD.
Primary OS is Windows 8. Need to install linux for educational purpose, which one suits me better?

You will need to better explain "educational". School education? College education? Just learning about Linux education?

P.S.
http://www.linux.org/threads/basic-forum-courtesy-rules-to-follow-for-all-forum-users.4688/

There is an idea: If you install Ubuntu you will learn about Ubuntu. If you install (X) you will learn about Linux. Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu and is even easier. (Does that say something?)

Which Distro you use/like is very subjective. It depends on YOU and YOUR computer, not so much on what we say. Why choose Ubuntu, LinuxMint and Fedora? Why not Debian, Mageia and OpenSuSE?

Last edited:
Help me to choose Linux distribution for home use. Specification- Intel i3, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD.
Primary OS is Windows 8. Need to install linux for educational purpose, which one suits me better?
I would recommend Edubuntu for "educational purpose"
happy new year!!!

If this is your first experience using Linux, Mint 13 would be my choice.

If you're experienced with Linux, PCLinuxOS is good choice.

I would recommend Ultimate Edition Linux, but they are so far behind right now that it's not even worth considering at this time. Maybe next year.

I would say Ubuntu 12.04LTS, or LinuxMint 16 Cinnmon from my experience both are easy for beginners. Also, I have a friend that loves Zorin and have heard it is great for windows convers. Really depends what you will be doing with it.

Hi Friends,
I would recommend
1) Fedora 17
2)Redhat 6.0
3) Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Because i am working on Redhat & Fedora 17 Both are identical and yes sometimes on ubuntu it is also good.
But I would say it will be good with Fedora 17

Jussssssssssst Try It..........................

If you're completely new to the Linux world, choosing either Ubuntu or Linux Mint would be a very good idea. Personally I don't really like Ubuntu 13.10 and Linux Mint 16, but this is only my own opinion. You might like them, and if you do, either one of them is going to be your first Linux distro hopefully. Since I hate Unity so much, if I were you, I'd rather choose different versions of Ubuntu such as Xubuntu (Xfce), Lubuntu (LXDE) and Kubuntu (KDE). In my opinion, Ubuntu 13.10 is mainly for those who are more familiar with smartphones or tablets than computers. Unity is just like Windows 8 Metro interface.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts