Supercomputers built from old PS3s

Y

Yesyesloud

As everyone should have known by now, rocket science evolved to a point that a dummy, unprofessional, backdoor-filled OS like windows is being abandoned for Linux.

However, I started this thread to celebrate that some research projects, otherwise small/unlikely, have grown huge because of Linux. Here you go an excerpt of the fact:

This physicist has built a supercomputer from old PlayStations
In theory, a supercomputer basically involves linking many standard computers together via a network. But instead of using regular laptops, Khanna decided to go a cheaper option, and link up PS3s. Their main benefit was that they allow users to install their preferred operating system on the console, and they retail for around US$250.

To help with his research, Sony donated four consoles to the experiment, and Khanna and the university bought another 12.

All 16 were then loaded up with Linux and linked over the Internet - the result was a processor that could speed up calculations by a factor of nearly 10 compared to an ordinary computer. He published the results of the make-shift supercomputer in thejournal Parallel and Distributed Computing Systems in 2009.

He used that first device to model the behaviour of gravitational waves and publish several papers on the phenomenon, but since then he's now made an even more powerful model, as Parker reports.

In 2010, the US Air Force Research Laboratory in New York found out about Khanna’s PS3 supercomputer, and decided to make their own out of 1,760 consoles, pictured below, in order to process radar image surveillance.

playstations.jpg
US Department of Defense

As a thank you, the US Department of Defense donated 176 additional PS3s to Khanna and his team. They now house their supercomputer in a refrigerated shipping container, designed to carry milk. This model is as powerful as 3,000 desktop computers, and only cost around US$75,000 to make - a ridiculously cheap amount for a supercomputer.

So how often is this really used for research and how often is it used for mad LAN gaming?

It's in use for "rocket science" researches right now. Also, the US is, say, fighting terrorism with help of such technology. As to mad LAN gaming, who knows hehe... They'd have to employ some mad wiring for that noble feat :D

I need to talk to those guys..... I STILL can't figure out how to put Yellowdog on MY PS3..... :L

Actually, I think a pawn shop here has some PS3s.

hmmm.......

I need to talk to those guys..... I STILL can't figure out how to put Yellowdog on MY PS3..... :L
I remember flashing a DVP 5100 (dvd/media player) NAND memory by soldering some cables to its board and "plugging" them into a good old com port.

It might be easier to flash a PS3 as the user base is still huge - you may have to downgrade its firmware in order to mod the console further (possibly using extra hardware). You'll have to get your hands dirty on that quest anyway.

PS: I got curious about installing Linux on PS3. There are 2 main options.
Downgrade to highly customizable CFW 3.15 but it won't be the easiest task on earth...
Or try something like this: Install OtherOS++ CFW 3.55, Petitboot and Red Ribbon Linux.

Apparently, it's possible to install OtherOS++ on most PS3 models right now.

Also, Red Ribbon Linux will probably get more updates, while Yellowdog seems dead as of 2012.

And there's the desperate option, as you suggested: email the supercomputer guys. If they didn't figure out how to get Linux running on their PS3s on their own, Sony definitely eased their job with some custom, model-independent packages that they won't share :oops:

Last edited:
I remember flashing a DVP 5100 (dvd/media player) NAND memory by soldering some cables to its board and "plugging" them into a good old com port.

It might be easier to flash a PS3 as the user base is still huge - you may have to downgrade its firmware in order to mod the console further (possibly using extra hardware). You'll have to get your hands dirty on that quest anyway.

PS: I got curious about installing Linux on PS3. There are 2 main options.
Downgrade to highly customizable CFW 3.15 but it won't be the easiest task on earth...
Or try something like this: Install OtherOS++ CFW 3.55, Petitboot and Red Ribbon Linux.

Apparently, it's possible to install OtherOS++ on most PS3 models right now.

Also, Red Ribbon Linux will probably get more updates, while Yellowdog seems dead as of 2012.

And there's the desperate option, as you suggested: email the supercomputer guys. If they didn't figure out how to get Linux running on their PS3s on their own, Sony definitely eased their job with some custom, model-independent packages that they won't share :oops:
Meh, I SUCK in regards to Hardware and Soldering..... :( As for Emailing those guys, er.... I haven't had much luck in getting replies from people like that..... I mean, they're probably ALREADY getting pounded with Emails as we SPEAK..... :\ So for now, I'll look into the "OtherOS++" thingy, and see if I can use THAT as a Platform for building (terrible) Python Applications..... :\ Anyway..... :D Have a good day, and Happy New Year!!!!..... ^^

Cronenberg is glorious. It was fun to watch The Fly for the 1000th time when it was finally released in hd.

I wonder if a Linux-loaded PS3 runs hd movies smooth on VLC for on-topic sake hah

It's from my favorite science-fiction movie Videodrome. My avatar picture is the main character Max Renn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videodrome

Ah..... :D I thought that the man was YOU..... :3 But I saw the ending on Wikipedia (I'd still watch the Movie though), and the Plot seems reminiscent of a Movie about Reptilians and T.V...... :) But..... At the risk of spoiling it for others (and being fooled by the Admins to install Suicide Linux as punishment), can you explain the ending to me.....? :( I mean, when he shoots himself, DOES he kill Videodrome.....? : (

It's a surreal movie that is open to interpretation. I can't give a definite answer.

Cronenberg is glorious. It was fun to watch The Fly for the 1000th time when it was finally released in hd.

I wonder if a Linux-loaded PS3 runs hd movies smooth on VLC for on-topic sake hah

If the Processor and RAM can run COD: Ghosts, then yeah, I'm pretty sure it can run HD Video in VLC..... :3 But on my Magnavox, well..... It's hard just reading the WORDS in COD: Ghosts..... :( But otherwise, it's GREAT for playing Games, like GTA V, which I wanna get..... :3 Maybe I can Code a PS3 EMU for Linux, and pop a GTA CD into a Laptop, some day..... :"3

Last edited:
It's a surreal movie that is open to interpretation. I can't give a definite answer.

Ah, like the ending to The Matrix: Revolutions, huh.....? :)

Gee, I guess we BOTH like to stay up late, huh.....? :) I just downloaded a PCLinuxOS ISO for my... Wait, Firefox recognizes that as a WORD.....? :\ Anywho.... :3 I'm gonna' try and install it on the Asus I'm using right now..... :D Asus recommends Windows..... I've got a Penguin friend who thinks otherwise..... :D

Members online

Latest posts