thmsh

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, everybody....
I try to compile surf as it is supposed to be done on tut
before you put surf in
Code:
th@debian:/usr/local/surf$ ls
arg.h     common.o      config.mk         libsurf-webext.o   Makefile  surf.c        TODO.md  tutu
common.c  config.def.h  FAQ.md            libsurf-webext.so  README    surf-open.sh  tt
common.h  config.h      libsurf-webext.c  LICENSE            surf.1    surf.png      ttttt
th@debian:/usr/local/surf$
it says
Requirements
6 ------------
7 In order to build surf you need GTK+ and Webkit/GTK+ header files.
9 In order to use the functionality of the url-bar, also install dmenu[0].
if can be a bit much detail
and then....
if not wheels, then you need a command to display the required list of required actions
like so
Code:
root@debian:/usr/local/surf# make -n clean install
tell me please, friends.....right?
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Why don't you install surf from the package source?
If you have problems running surf under gnome just choose "gnome under xorg" at gdm.

If you have problems running surf under gnome just choose "gnome under xorg" at gdm.
Surf is made by suckless.org, the creators of dwm.
The version of surf in the repos of most distros is stock, without any extra patches.

There are a lot of patches available for surf that add extra functionality and capabilities to surf. So compiling from source will allow extra patches to be added.

Last edited:
@thmsh - if you are running Debian, you should be able to install all of the build dependencies using:
Code:
sudo apt build-dep surf

And that will install all of the build dependencies for the version of surf that is in the repos. And those dependencies should also work for the version of surf in suckless.org's git repos. It works for me on my debian testing laptop anyway.

NOTE: I can't remember offhand, but in order to get the build-dependencies for surf from apt, you might also need to have the source repositories enabled in /etc/apt/sources.list
So, it should just be a case of opening /etc/apt/sources.list in a text editor and uncommenting the commented-out source repositories.

Once you have installed the build-deps for surf, you should just be able to run make.

This trick works with all of the suckless tools that are in the Debian repos, because their dependencies rarely change.

It also works with pretty much any program that you want to build from source if there is a version already in the repos.

Pull the latest version of the source code from the projects version control systems (git, svn, bzr etc), then install the build-deps for the version of the program that is in debian repos. Then try to build install the latest version.

In some rare cases, the newest version from git (or wherever) might have some dependencies that aren't available in the Debian repos - in which case, you'd have to get the source and build-deps for any updated dependencies and build/install them before you can successfully build the newest version of the original program you were trying to build.

But from personal experience, installing the build-deps for all of the suckless tools will allow you to successfully build the latest versions of all software available from suckless.org's git repos.

Last edited:
to understand how the process works and then apply patches
and so I already installed and used it
in rep it is

and more...customising there is through the compilation and when was customising dwm, it is understood that this process is well understood.

@thmsh - if you are running Debian, you should be able to install all of the build dependencies using:
Code:
sudo apt build-dep surf

And that will install all of the build dependencies for the version of surf that is in the repos. And those dependencies should also work for the version of surf in suckless.org's git repos. It works for me on my debian testing laptop anyway.

NOTE: I can't remember offhand, but in order to get the build-dependencies for surf from apt, you might also need to have the source repositories enabled in /etc/apt/sources.list
So, it should just be a case of opening /etc/apt/sources.list in a text editor and uncommenting the commented-out source repositories.

Once you have installed the build-deps for surf, you should just be able to run make.

This trick works with all of the suckless tools that are in the Debian repos, because their dependencies rarely change.

It also works with pretty much any program that you want to build from source if there is a version already in the repos.

Pull the latest version of the source code from the projects version control systems (git, svn, bzr etc), then install the build-deps for the version of the program that is in debian repos. Then try to build install the latest version.

In some rare cases, the newest version from git (or wherever) might have some dependencies that aren't available in the Debian repos - in which case, you'd have to get the source and build-deps for any updated dependencies and build/install them before you can successfully build the newest version of the original program you were trying to build.

But from personal experience, installing the build-deps for all of the suckless tools will allow you to successfully build the latest versions of all software available from suckless.org's git repos.
Thanks so much...very valuable experience. it is necessary to study the subject.:rolleyes:

And when it comes to applying patches, the "Hacking" section of the suckless.org website describes how to apply patches depending on whether you got the sources from a tarball, or via git:
https://suckless.org/hacking/

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts