Switching from Mint to Arch

Reaction score
Credits
Im switching from Mint to Arch. Anything I should know before I install it? perhaps any tips or advice. I've found a few things Arch provides that Mint doesn't and the Terminal seems better but maybe that's just me. any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

Don't forget to add your favorite text editor when installing packages. I forgot to do that my first time and if I remember right, I had to reboot from USB and chroot back in to install vim so I could modify some config files.

Im switching from Mint to Arch. ... and the Terminal seems better but maybe that's just me.
Hm? Shell or terminal application? Either would be available in both mint and arch.

I haven't used arch on anything, but i'm thinking the only real difference would be the package management?

Don't forget to add your favorite text editor when installing packages. I forgot to do that my first time and if I remember right, I had to reboot from USB and chroot back in to install vim so I could modify some config files.

Should just be able to sudo pacman -S vim after install

Edit: Ohhh i gotcha - you mean during the install when you're in the chrooted /mnt. You can always 'exit' and edit w/ vim outside the chroot, then re-chroot in there without rebooting or anything.

Last edited:
All in a day's work for a multi-multi-booter.

(I can't keep a straight face with that, gotta reboot)

• wizard
Reactions: Rob
1. Don't forgot to either set your root password or to install and configure sudo.
2. Don't forget to install a networkmanager otherwise you will have to manually configure your network setup or use systemd-network but I prefer to use a networkmanager.

Last edited:
Im switching from Mint to Arch. Anything I should know before I install it? perhaps any tips or advice. I've found a few things Arch provides that Mint doesn't and the Terminal seems better but maybe that's just me. any help would be appreciated, Thanks!
garuda os gnome version is tits, ease of use snappy and arch based

Members online