Sync Not Linux Fans

mrcrossroads

Reaction score
Credits
A few years ago I switched from Dropbox to Sync for its better plans and security. At that time they said Linux support would be coming at some point. It's been a PITA dealing with Sync's web access only. So I asked them if they plan to have Linux support any time soon, and this is their response:

Work on a Linux app keeps getting pushed back. Overall, the number of people requesting Linux has been relatively low. Linux is a passionate community and we're part of that community, however, we haven't been able to justify the development time and additional support overhead required to deliver a great Sync experience on Linux. Also being considered is the market segment which is relatively small.

We're not saying never on Linux, but we've been growing fast without it which is why it keeps getting pushed back.

So like we mentioned previously, it's on our long-term roadmap, but no ETA.

Sorry, we couldn't be of more help on this.

With this disrespectful attitude I switched to Mega, Which DOES support Linux. Bye, bye Sync.

Have a look at Nextcloud if you are using Mega to sync data across devices, that way you will be in control of your own data.

Have a look at Nextcloud if you are using Mega to sync data across devices, that way you will be in control of your own data.
I've been on the fence on NextCloud. The biggest turn off for me is having a dedicated, always on devices devouring electricity for a single service. Having a hosted cloud provided is just more convenient overall. I see NextCloud has Hosted option for Enterprise. Have you tried that?

I've been on the fence on NextCloud. The biggest turn off for me is having a dedicated, always on devices devouring electricity for a single service. Having a hosted cloud provided is just more convenient overall. I see NextCloud has Hosted option for Enterprise. Have you tried that?
No haven't, I self host my Nextcloud setup on a vps.

I just sync between devices using megasync. I also encrypt and sync using autosync on Google drive. The same data is on my phone, kindle fire, pi400, sd card, usb flash drive and on mega and Drive. You can never have too many backups.

I think there are certainly pros and cons to using nextcloud. For me the data I am syncing between phones and PC's isn't that critical so I do periodic backups to a drive I keep offline most of the time. If I were running a business off of this I would go the cloud approach. Control comes with responsibilities.... :) With that said I have found nextcloud to be rock solid. I also don't have my nextcloud instance as a stand alone device burning electricity by itself. I also use it as a web server and a VPN server. Again if you are doing this as a business I would not recommend what I am doing because its just not a great from a security standpoint. For me the data on the server is not dangerous and if someone distributed across the world would be of no consequence. I do firewall this all off from the rest of my network so that the rest of my network is unreachable. I use the vpn to merely to bounce off my network back out to the public internet (poor mans vpn service). As a web server I just use obscure port numbers to access basically only reachable if I tell you they are there. I do have firewalling in front of this as well. I am vigilant on log monitoring and pretty strict on my access policy. Kind of rambling here. Guess my point is if you want to keep your data close to you using next cloud you will have to spend significant time on security and backups.

That would be a good idea for data I'm only using inhouse. Would need to have at least one backup though, preferably two with one being offsite, in a safety deposit box perhaps. There was actually just a recent podcast on Destination Linux that touched briefly on self-hosting vs could hosting and backups and the sort. Stuff I don't want getting out into the world doesn't leave my local network. For cloud storage I'm a MEGA NZ fan these days.

Does Nextcloud make for a decent media server too? If I had multiple uses for another running machine at home it would be easier to justify it. :D

I think there are certainly pros and cons to using nextcloud. For me the data I am syncing between phones and PC's isn't that critical so I do periodic backups to a drive I keep offline most of the time. If I were running a business off of this I would go the cloud approach. Control comes with responsibilities.... :) With that said I have found nextcloud to be rock solid. I also don't have my nextcloud instance as a stand alone device burning electricity by itself. I also use it as a web server and a VPN server. Again if you are doing this as a business I would not recommend what I am doing because its just not a great from a security standpoint. For me the data on the server is not dangerous and if someone distributed across the world would be of no consequence. I do firewall this all off from the rest of my network so that the rest of my network is unreachable. I use the vpn to merely to bounce off my network back out to the public internet (poor mans vpn service). As a web server I just use obscure port numbers to access basically only reachable if I tell you they are there. I do have firewalling in front of this as well. I am vigilant on log monitoring and pretty strict on my access policy. Kind of rambling here. Guess my point is if you want to keep your data close to you using next cloud you will have to spend significant time on security and backups.

Does Nextcloud make for a decent media server too? If I had multiple uses for another running machine at home it would be easier to justify it. :D
Nextcloud is designed for sharing files, you can share media files and and the click on it and it will open in the browser but that's about it. If you are talking about streaming you are better off with either Plex, Emby or Jellyfin. My homeserver(is a desktop system running 247) is a multipurpose system, it runs Nextcloud a mediaserver and some other things so you could setup your home system to be multi-purpose too.

Nextcloud is designed for sharing files, you can share media files and and the click on it and it will open in the browser but that's about it. If you are talking about streaming you are better off with either Plex, Emby or Jellyfin. My homeserver(is a desktop system running 247) is a multipurpose system, it runs Nextcloud a mediaserver and some other things so you could setup your home system to be multi-purpose too.
Running Plex along side NextCloud is a good idea. I may go down that road someday. I'd need to do a new build. $$$

You don't need a client, if webdav works. Look up how webdav works. There's probably a mobile webdav client - and your file manager probably works like one. If not, multiple file managers do.

That's the great thing about it, the hook - if you will. You don't need a client, it supports a well-established standard.

Members online

Latest posts