System Linux - Audit -

maelamrani

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,
I'm working like junior system administrator and they gave me a task to get all data about system, so the question its what should i extract like a data to do a system audit, what i did its :

- uname -a
- df -k
- vg
- lv
- filesystems

so can someone help with what shoul i do or an exp of a system audit or command to run
Thx in advance

What is meant by "get all data about a system"?
All hardware information?
Data about used and available resources hardware and/or services?
Security and/or logging implementations?
The statement "get all data about a system" is to general and should be better defined to provide the correct commands to run to gather accurate information.
The commands you ran are good for getting basic info about the hardware, OS and logical structure of the file system. But it may not tell you if the machine is over or under designed for the tasks it is to perform.

I guess thats a homework question , so how much beer are you going to send me ?
Lets simply it ..into the Queens English ( i hope your standing up and saluting while reading this!)
Data in its simplest form just means information. Thus a shopping list can be said to be "data".

So get all data about a system, means get all information about a system.

Now i will start you off..when you are logged in as root on a linux system you can run commands to get information. eg i on a terminal window I write :
# lshw

it gives me a load of info about my linux system .you can read about it here https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/system/lshw/?search=lshw

i didn't see the first post :
but $ df -k gives:

bash-5.0$ df -k
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
tmpfs 32768 1292 31476 4% /run
devtmpfs 1947296 0 1947296 0% /dev
/dev/sda3 55620640 35436340 17329236 68% /
tmpfs 1987516 10448 1977068 1% /dev/shm
cgroup_root 8192 0 8192 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sda1 101590 22919 78671 23% /boot/efi
/dev/sdb1 15556604 301692 15254912 2% /run/media/andrew/extra
bash-5.0$

uname -a
Linux darkstar.citreon.org 5.4.12 #1 SMP Tue Jan 14 17:16:31 CST 2020 x86_64 AMD A4-9125 RADEON R3, 4 COMPUTE CORES 2C+2G AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

So yes run the commands maybe export each to a a file ,something like
or export with "append" can't remember so look thast up

$ df -k > /home/usrname/Desktop/info.txt

So the question is :
like a system administrator need to get data about system os cpu services driver gv lv network interface processus patch if we need to upgrade like auditing it because i need to create a doc
and i asked about a usefull cmd to get those data

There are lots of ways to find the answer to each individual item. Some commands provide general information while others will provide very detailed information. Your reply is very difficult to parse quite like your initial post.
System OS and CPU: "uname -a"
Services: depends on OS, "services -a" or "sysctl -a"
Logical Volume: "lvs"
Hard Drives and mounts: "df -h"
I don't know what you mean by GV, is that a GNU program?
What is processus patch? Do you mean processor kernel level/firmware or processes patch level?

Members online

Latest posts