System reboots seconds after reaching desktop

sboerm

Credits
The events logs are probably in /var/logs/.
You can also look at system logs by entering:
var/log/syslog (this is a very long log)

The dmesg command may show you some things too.

How to View Linux Logs
Oh! You mean those event logs! Sorry, but since the machine always reboots seconds after reaching runlevel 5, I don't have enough time to do anything on the command line. I could pull out the m.2 SSD and connect it to another machine, but it is in a hard-to-reach place.
I'll first try switching the PSU. If that doesn't work, I'll try to get to the SSD.

sboerm

Credits
After reading a handful of google searches on rebooting problems the Asus X570 has shown issues repeatedly. It could be the BIOS or the PSU on it's way out.

Yes, there is a way to control the GPU with parameters. I've never tried it though:-

FWIW, My main board is the Asus X-570 Tuf Gaming and I've only had one issue one time.
Suddenly, my system shut down for no reason. Still don't know what that was about.
Thank you. I have ordered a new PSU and hope that installing it will fix the problem. Fingers crossed ;-)

Alexzee

Credits
Oh! You mean those event logs! Sorry, but since the machine always reboots seconds after reaching runlevel 5, I don't have enough time to do anything on the command line. I could pull out the m.2 SSD and connect it to another machine, but it is in a hard-to-reach place.
I'll first try switching the PSU. If that doesn't work, I'll try to get to the SSD.
Shame you can't get to those logs.

How old is the PSU you currently have and what's it's wattage?

Out of curiosity, what PSU did you order?

I tend to stick with Corsair.

Last edited:

sboerm

Credits
Shame you can't get to those logs.

How old is the PSU you currently have and what's it's wattage?

Out of curiosity, what PSU did you order?

I tend to stick with Corsair.
I got the PSU in March, it's a "be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 750W".
Now I have ordered a Thermaltake Rome 750W.
My RAM's made by Corsair. I hadn't read the description and was quite surprised when the DIMMs lit up in all colors of the rainbow ;-)

Alexzee

Credits
I got the PSU in March, it's a "be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 750W".
Now I have ordered a Thermaltake Rome 750W.
My RAM's made by Corsair. I hadn't read the description and was quite surprised when the DIMMs lit up in all colors of the rainbow ;-)
Cool!
I wanted to pick up the RGB RAM too however; it was a little pricey.
Hopefully your new Thermaltake will do the job.

I can only imagine how irritating it is that your machine keeps rebooting.
As if there isn't already enough stress going on in the world already.

How long till your new psu arrives?

sboerm

Credits
Cool!
I wanted to pick up the RGB RAM too however; it was a little pricey.
Hopefully your new Thermaltake will do the job.

I can only imagine how irritating it is that your machine keeps rebooting.
As if there isn't already enough stress going on in the world already.

How long till your new psu arrives?
If the new PSU does not improve the situation, I guess I'll have to switch the processor. I don't think the hard drive can be responsible ;)
Fortunately I had kept my old workstation around, and very fortunately it already had an m.2 slot, so I could at least save some of my work. I am teaching at a University, and during the semester there is quite a bit of pressure, particularly if all lectures suddenly have to be given online instead of in a classroom.
The new PSU is set to arrive on Thursday. Let's see if it helps.

jglen490

Credits
Hope it solves your problem!

Alexzee

Credits
If the new PSU does not improve the situation, I guess I'll have to switch the processor. I don't think the hard drive can be responsible ;)
Fortunately I had kept my old workstation around, and very fortunately it already had an m.2 slot, so I could at least save some of my work. I am teaching at a University, and during the semester there is quite a bit of pressure, particularly if all lectures suddenly have to be given online instead of in a classroom.
The new PSU is set to arrive on Thursday. Let's see if it helps.
OK, keep us posted:-:)

Vrai

Credits
If the machine has reached the 'Desktop' - if even for just a few seconds - there 'should' be quite a bit of information in the "logs". You could access the log files using a "Live" boot disc.

If the machine reboots a few seconds after reaching the 'Desktop' using a 'Live' boot disc - then the problem is most likely hardware related.

Members online