System upgrading

P

Promptjock

My current system is a 2.2 GHz AMD Athlon64 machine running Ubuntu 14.04LTS (64-bit installed on a Samsung 250G EVO SSD) and I think it's time to upgrade my hardware to Something More Modern.

Question: Can I take my existing hard drive and simply "drop it in" a new system (i.e., Intel core i3/i5/i7, AMD FX) or will I have to do a "fresh rebuild" on the new system?

Enquiring Minds want to know. :)

My current system is a 2.2 GHz AMD Athlon64 machine running Ubuntu 14.04LTS (64-bit installed on a Samsung 250G EVO SSD) and I think it's time to upgrade my hardware to Something More Modern.

Question: Can I take my existing hard drive and simply "drop it in" a new system (i.e., Intel core i3/i5/i7, AMD FX) or will I have to do a "fresh rebuild" on the new system?

Enquiring Minds want to know. :)
I would highly recommend a fresh install on the new system. Too many driver differences, and all the dependencies required. Hopefully, you have the /home directory on a separate partition, if you use the same hard drive. Reformat the other partitions and keep the /home partition intact. Good cancel to clean out old apps you no longer need or want!

Rule #1: BACKUP FIRST!!!
Rule #2: Reread Rule #1
Rule #3: Reread Rule #2

Good luck!

I would highly recommend a fresh install on the new system. Too many driver differences, and all the dependencies required. Hopefully, you have the /home directory on a separate partition, if you use the same hard drive. Reformat the other partitions and keep the /home partition intact. Good cancel to clean out old apps you no longer need or want!

Good luck!
Thank you for the quick reply. :)

While I really don't want to do a New Rebuild when upgrading, I understand It Would Be For The Best, Etc. Therefore I'll probably get a new drive for the upgraded machine (or at least, backup my "important, etc." documents and such if I re-use the existing drive).

Take care and Merry Christmas, etc. :)

Yes. Non-custom, modern Linux kernels (like Ubuntu's) handle most of your hardware on their own, specially when it comes to processors and motherboards.

Your current OS will take care of i3/i5/i7 or AMD FX without additional software.

Beside that relevant fact, I'd say from considerable experience there isn't that much need for a fresh install, at least regarding rather simple home boxes.

If you have installed any driver on your own, uninstall it, so that your main system files will become similar to those on a live cd.

If you didn't, get straight to the next step: drop your hdd in your new system. In case you want/need more/different drivers, you can simply install them. Also, only if needed, you can install new wifi drivers on the Additional Drivers GUI while wired (Ethernet generally always works on Linux).

Back up before anything, obviously.

Happy Geez' anniversary or something ;)

Good luck!
Thank you for the quick reply. :)

While I really don't want to do a New Rebuild when upgrading, I understand It Would Be For The Best, Etc. Therefore I'll probably get a new drive for the upgraded machine (or at least, backup my documents and such).

Take care and Merry Christmas, etc. :)
Yes. Non-custom, modern Linux kernels (like Ubuntu's) handle most of your hardware on their own, specially when it comes to processors and motherboards.

Your current OS will take care of i3/i5/i7 or AMD FX without additional software.

Beside that relevant fact, I'd say from considerable experience there isn't that much need for a fresh install, at least regarding rather simple home boxes.

If you have installed any driver on your own, uninstall it, so that your main system files will become similar to those on a live cd.

If you didn't, get straight to the next step: drop your hdd in your new system. In case you want/need more/different drivers, you can simply install them. Also, only if needed, you can install new wifi drivers on the Additional Drivers GUI while wired (Ethernet generally always works on Linux).

Back up before anything, obviously.

Happy Geez' anniversary or something ;)
Thank you for your reply and "insight". :)

AFAIK, there aren't any "strange" drivers (video, etc.) installed - the current MOBO was made by MSI and contains AMD-based chipsets for audio and video (i.e., "generic" drivers, I believe).

I'll keep yours and rstanley's replies and advice "on file" and, when I do Make The Upgrade, I'll give a Status Report... :)

Merry Christmas, etc. to you and all others reading this Forum. :)

Thank you for your reply and "insight". :)

AFAIK, there aren't any "strange" drivers (video, etc.) installed - the current MOBO was made by MSI and contains AMD-based chipsets for audio and video (i.e., "generic" drivers, I believe).

Since you didn't install additional drivers, Linux is dynamically recognizing all your devices and loading generic drivers during boot. It will do the same for your new hardware.

From what you said, your current install will work on your new system without major bummers, most likely.

You are very welcome :D

May the xmas turkeys remain as part of ourselves

Last edited:

Members online