Tablet PC: Pen-Monitor & Remote Mapping, WINE Pen Pressure & More <partially solved>

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Is there someone who is known for routinely helping with scripts that can be mentioned to have a look and potentially help with this on these forums?
My thoughts, when I was catching up from #37 on :)

Jas has been around forever and Ken is new.

@JasKinasis , @kenJackson - any chance you folks can take a look over what Sasha has been doing?

Cheers all, and

Avagudweegend

Wiz

Sasha-Jen

Been looking at the minor annoyances, haven't fixed any but:
That's it for "progress" on the matters of this thread. Not much really despite raking the depths of the internet search results.

Sasha-Jen

Hello again! Been a while, hasn't it? I haven't given up on switching to Linux, I've just had to go back to windows and continue my work over spending more time on what OS I do my work on. I'd also love to spend the same amount of time daily as I did while I kept this thread active; but alas, this is just a quick update.

First, I some how enabled a tab in the TV menu that I could not access before, and within that menu was the overscan option. The whole TV overscan issue is fixed.

I have not made any progress - not even finding new info/understanding current info more on the glitchy mouse/UI elements going below the panel.

I have re-read the tutorial I was using on the remote remapping. I think I understand it more than I already did. I decided to copy a back-up of what I had when I came back today and edit the file going by the new understanding. Unfortuately I still have not got to the result of the keys actually remapping.

The back-up file:

#!/bin/sh
# /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
# global xinitrc file, used by all X sessions started by xinit (startx)
# invoke global X session script
#. /etc/X11/Xsession

remote_id=19(
xinput list |
sed -n 's/.*Polostar.id=19.*keyboard.*/\1/p'
)

# To remap the nine shortcut remote keys

mkdir -p /etc/X11/xkb/symbols
cat >/etc/X11/xkb/symbols/custom <<\EOF
xkb_symbols "remote" {
key <AB04> { [ AB05 ] };
key <AD08> { [ DOWN ] };
key <SPCE> { [ AD03 ] };
key <AB05> { [ LCTL, AB01 ] };
key <RTRN> { [ UP ] };
key <AB01> { [ LCTL, AB01 ] };
key <AB07> { [ LCTL ] };
key <AD10> { [ SPCE ] };
key <AD07> { [ LALT ] };
};
EOF

setxkbmap -device 19 -print | sed 's/\(xkb_symbols.*\)"/\1+custom(remote)"/' | xkbcomp -I/etc/X11/xkb -i 19 -synch - $DISPLAY 2>/dev/null
The current file:

#!/bin/sh
# /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
# global xinitrc file, used by all X sessions started by xinit (startx)
# invoke global X session script
#. /etc/X11/Xsession

remote_id=$(
xinput list |
sed -n 's/.*Polostar.*id=\([0-9]*\).*keyboard.*/\1/p'
)
[ "$remote_id" ] || exit

# To remap the nine shortcut remote keys

mkdir -p /tmp/xkb/symbols
cat >/tmp/xkb/symbols/custom <<\EOF
xkb_symbols "remote" {
key <AB04> { [ AB05 ] };
key <AD08> { [ DOWN ] };
key <SPCE> { [ AD03 ] };
key <AB05> { [ LCTL, AB01 ] };
key <RTRN> { [ UP ] };
key <AB01> { [ LCTL, AB01 ] };
key <AB07> { [ LCTL ] };
key <AD10> { [ SPCE ] };
key <AD07> { [ LALT ] };
};
EOF

setxkbmap -device $remote_id -print | sed 's/\(xkb_symbols.*\)"/\1+custom(remote)"/' | xkbcomp -I/tmp/xkb -i $remote_id -synch - $DISPLAY 2>/dev/null
I have noticed that XP-pen have released a linux driver for my tablet. That's not helpful since I do not need it, but I'm pointing this out as it gives hope for a linux driver for the shortcut remote, which I would 100% use myself just for the easy remapping that would come with it.

Lastly, the reason I decided to boot-up linux mint again was because I checked the wine bug reports and one had a new comment asking for a log for +wintab. I've done a quick search for creating such a log and got nothing, as well as trying to re-find how to create the terminal log I did for the bug report already and cannot re-find it. These were both quick searches, but unfortuately I cannot spend that much time on this right now.

I don't want to keep the bug fixers waiting for long, so I may do brief searches here and there, but I simply must boot up windows and do things on windows currently. C'est la vie.

Sasha-Jen

Update on 2 of the problems:

First, I have logged and attached a file for the WINE bug report on pen pressure.

Secondly, on the whole elements under the panel thing. I think the multiple monitors are causing them to bleed into one another some how. Until today I've been using the "displays" UI to drag and drop the monitor placements (it is simply called "displays"). Today I tried the "Nvidia X server settings" UI and the "X server display configuration" tab.

If I disable all but my main monitor there is no bleed. No UI elements going under the panel. This confirms it is to do with the multiple monitors. Furthermore, it isn't just elements going under the panel but desktop icons bleed as well. All my current desktop icons on linux are at the top-left and their names bleed onto the left monitor. e.g. The Medibang WINE shortcut has "Me" on right-hand side on the left monitor and the rest "diBang Paint Pro" on the main monitor.

I would assume this is to do with digital monitor positioning but i cannot change it for some reason. The options for monitor position has: Absolute, right of, above etc. None of the directional options work and so I attempted to change the numbers for the absolute. There is a space to change those numbers yet despite allowing typing, it doesn't save or change anything.

I thought perhaps since all monitors are 1920x1080 and the second (middle) monitor starts at the absolute of +1920+0 that changing it to +1921+0 may nudge the desktop icons off the left monitor fully onto the middle monitor where they are suppose to be. Same with nudging the graphics tablet that sits below the middle minitor down to +1920+1081. These do nothing. They do not save or change. I'm not sure they would fix the problem if they did, but they don't even try.

Sasha-Jen

Not much has changed in the rest of 2019 to get me closer to being to use linux as my main system. One thing to note is XP-Pen has continued to work on linux drivers for their tablets. The latest linux driver releases for a lot of their products was on 19 Dec 2019. On that day a ton of linux drivers were updated and others newly released. Nicely recent.

I went through all their listed products on their website in the "download" section under support. 45 products have a windows driver to download; 35 of those 45 also have a linux driver now.

That's only ten XP-Pen products without a linux driver (whether final or experimental). Low and behold: my tablet is one of those 10 still without a linux driver. Not like I'd switch right away since I still don't have an art program that works in linux that I like using. Tried Krita again a few months ago, same annoying GUI issue. It doesn't matter how good the tools of Krita may be, if the GUI annoys the hell out of me I aint using it.

I think it's safe to assume that the XP-Pen brand of hardware will be have full linux support soon .

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
...my tablet is one of those 10 still without a linux driver.
Murphy's Law. :)

Still, there's progress, that is gratifying.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Wizard

mrvldmr

1. I think the problem with pen pressure in apps running on wine not connected to wine itself, because I encounter the same problem with both Medibang Pro and Clip Studio running on Kernel Virtual Machine (KVM) with Windows 10.
I'm using KDE Neon based on Ubuntu 16.04 with standart driver and Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch. The OS currectly identify my tablet and pen pressure works with nattive linux software. KVM identify my tablet as Graphic Tablet USB EvTouch.
Also before september 2019 I used Kubuntu 16.04 and I had no problems with pen pressure in Medibang Pro running on wine. The problem is that then I used an alternative driver and I don't remember it name.
2. Problem with pop-ups and drop-down menus come up on the wrong screen no matter where the main window in my opinion is the wine problem. I think wine can't identify active monitor. Also wine ignore priority setting. So all new windows, pop-ups and drop-down menus displayed on the left screen because the coordinate system is common to all screens and starts from the top left corner of the left screen. I had the same problem with Bioshock Infinite which I didn’t manage to run on the right screen in full screen mode.
3. It's shame that Medibang Pro based on Qt has no native linux version. Maybe It worth to try complaint together?

Sasha-Jen

1. I think the problem with pen pressure in apps running on wine not connected to wine itself, because I encounter the same problem with both Medibang Pro and Clip Studio running on Kernel Virtual Machine (KVM) with Windows 10.
I'm using KDE Neon based on Ubuntu 16.04 with standart driver and Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch. The OS currectly identify my tablet and pen pressure works with nattive linux software. KVM identify my tablet as Graphic Tablet USB EvTouch.
Also before september 2019 I used Kubuntu 16.04 and I had no problems with pen pressure in Medibang Pro running on wine. The problem is that then I used an alternative driver and I don't remember it name.
Hey mrvldmr, I'm glad to see someone else out there in the world wishes for more choice of art programs in Linux :)

It's curious that both our pen pressures work in native linux programs, yet you say it worked through wine at some point but not anymore. Perhaps it is worth to describe this on the WINE bug report here: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=40199 . I'm sure information like that can help.

2. Problem with pop-ups and drop-down menus come up on the wrong screen no matter where the main window in my opinion is the wine problem. I think wine can't identify active monitor. Also wine ignore priority setting. So all new windows, pop-ups and drop-down menus displayed on the left screen because the coordinate system is common to all screens and starts from the top left corner of the left screen. I had the same problem with Bioshock Infinite which I didn’t manage to run on the right screen in full screen mode.
Interesting. I wonder if the WINE developers know about this being a general WINE issue? IT certainly is annoying when using a tablet.

3. It's shame that Medibang Pro based on Qt has no native linux version. Maybe It worth to try complaint together?
Maybe. I haven't contacted them requesting a Linux version, but if they did it would be so much easier.

Semi-related, With the valve adding proton into steam, a ton of single-player steam games became available to Linux users, and the most common reason any online multiplayer is the anti-cheat. Mostly Easy Anti-Cheat I've observed (I guess it's just a really popular anti-cheat to use).

I bring this up purely for conjecture: with the ending of support of Windows 7, combined with many non-Linux native games being available through proton on steam, It's certain that a portion of steam gamers will upgrade to windows 10, but others will switch to Linux due to gaming being their only real computer use. As known through this thread, my digital art needs stop me from switching, but if I didn't want to do what I want to do in life, I would've switched already with proton keeping many a game for me.

I'm sure the majority will just upgrade to windows 10, but I'm curious how much of a % increase of Linux steam users are about to happen. This is optimistic and conjecture, but I believe if a large enough portion of steam users used Linux, then more software developers will come out with native Linux support.

I'm not just talking about game devs, but if adobe became convinced to release Linux support, then that would include photoshop, and with photoshop being on Linux, all the other art programs will follow.

I don't necessarily think the increase on steam linux users will be enough yet. I think more online games need to work, their anti-cheat being the wall. I have a steam library of 217 games, and looking through the proton database, 23 do not work (either netively or through proton). That is a huge and very good ratio! But guess what? Two games I'd prefer to be able to play both use Easy Anti-Cheat and the prtondb reports are filled with blaming EAC as the reason why they do not work in Linux. The two games are Dead by Daylight and Hell Let Loose if wondering.

If more anti-cheats worked through proton, then even more steam users will be carefree to switch to linux, and that may, with my total conjecture, convince non-game devs to release linux support. Both software and hardware drivers. Possibly including MediBang.

mrvldmr

A small update to my previous post. There is a way to make the kernel virtual machine (KVM) recognize pen pressure. To do this, you need to add a new USB device in the virtual machine settings and select a graphics tablet there. After that windows 10 would recognizance your tablet. You can even install drivers and access to all driver settings. But there are two small problems:
1) After starting the virtual machine, the main operating system ceases to recognize the tablet and I don’t know how to solve this problem. But after turning off the virtual machine, the operating system will again see the graphics tablet;
2) Windows 10 because of windows ink workspace does not connect graphics tablet pen with the mouse cursor so the pen movements do not move the cursor. This works great for Microsoft Surface but does not work for users of graphic tablet without display. Fortunately, Medibang and Clipstudio still display a pen circle on the canvas. Disabling windows ink workspace through gpedit.msc did not solve this problem for me and my outdated tablet has no option to disable windows ink workspace in driver setting.
Well after that I remembered why I refused to use Windows as the main operating system. There is nothing more annoying than windows. Microsoft developers seriously think that only "lucky" owners of Microsoft surface use digital pens?
Conclusions. KVM by default recognizes a graphic tablet as a touchpad therefore ignores pen pressure. I think that the problem with WINE has similar roots. It also makes sense to check graphic tablet with VirtualBox. I think it handles hardware differently than KVM and may not have the first problem.
Sasha-Jen, I will not report it yet. I do not think this information is useful for developers. I don’t know why everything worked before. Perhaps the reason is in a different version of the driver or kernel or wine or in something else. then I had a completely different hardware. In particular, then I had a LGA775 motherboard and now I have a AM4 motherboard. Perhaps the report will make sense if I manage to start the old PC and collect logs from there. But I do not know when I will do it.

Members online

Latest posts