Technical Faults Irrespective of Linux - Hardware Potential Source of Faults

david, is this the one you mean?

View attachment 5726

if so, although friend vrai's suggestion is workable, this site is simpler

https://www.linuxsecrets.com/mxlinux-wiki/official-wallpapers.html

... only has a few, but includes the kingfisher, it's from mx-16

chris
That's the one of the Kingfisher. I'm almost sure this is the one I have rather than the Robin I first quoted, but would like to add both from past MX directories of wallpapers. It would just be a matter of me finding whereabouts, currently on my portable hard drive, the file is (as I've had to move all my documents, photos, videos, music, etc from Windows 7 before wiping M$).

I like various wallpapers, but like to include Birds among them, so the Kingfisher, Robin and (in MX 19.1 the Swan) are a must.

Thanks for the link to the Kingfisher and other wallpapers. :)

How do I post a screenshot of the GParted output?
Are you able to run Linux from the USB flash drive?
Is GParted included in the programs which come with a default MX Linux image?
I ask because saving a screenshot will require different steps depending on where it is run from.

I downloaded MX 19.1 and flashed it onto a USB thumb drive and will install it tomorrow. Just so I can get a better feel for how MX does things and for 'what's in the box'.

david, better have a re-think on that booting strategy :)

if you don't install GRUB you will be sitting in front of a brick

every OS has to have a bootloader

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_boot_loaders

a number of linux distros offer the option of installing later (not never) and state it is for experts only.

if not GRUB, then LILO or if using UEFI then rEFInd is an option.

cheers

wiz

yes

I ask because saving a screenshot will require different steps depending on where it is run from.

GNOME screenshot or similar is also available, saved .png needs to be either uploaded or saved off the live disk/usb

and david see my thread here (crap sound)

https://linux.org/threads/posting-screenshots-at-this-site-read-this-for-easy-way.21722/

if you don't want to risk an image hosting site, you can upload attachment (png not jpeg) and choose fullsize not thumbnail. as with my kingfisher above

Are you able to run Linux from the USB flash drive?

I downloaded MX 19.1 and flashed it onto a USB thumb drive and will install it tomorrow. Just so I can get a better feel for how MX does things and for 'what's in the box'.
I can run Linux successfully from the USB flash drive, but the GRUB Bootloader is obstructing me from installing MX Linux onto my hard drive.

GParted is included in the programs which come with a default MX Linux image.

I've since found a Screenshot option which has successfully uploaded the current status of MX Linux with Gparted.

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    36.2 KB · Views: 353
david, better have a re-think on that booting strategy :)

if you don't install GRUB you will be sitting in front of a brick

every OS has to have a bootloader

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_boot_loaders

a number of linux distros offer the option of installing later (not never) and state it is for experts only.

if not GRUB, then LILO or if using UEFI then rEFInd is an option.

cheers

wiz

yes

GNOME screenshot or similar is also available, saved .png needs to be either uploaded or saved off the live disk/usb

and david see my thread here (crap sound)

https://linux.org/threads/posting-screenshots-at-this-site-read-this-for-easy-way.21722/

if you don't want to risk an image hosting site, you can upload attachment (png not jpeg) and choose fullsize not thumbnail. as with my kingfisher above
Thanks for the link and information Chris.

First time lucky, the PNG option worked and automatically uploaded in full size via the USB live stick.

My computer is varying from restarting to what appears to be a Windows bootloader (but Windows 7 erased) after about a minute to operating for up to several hours, but when operating for up to several hours, the screen is prone to making the contents disappear for a few seconds before the contents reappear automatically. That could be a hardware issue, but difficult to tell at this stage.

Other issues I've noticed are the monitor brightness dimming temporarily automatically and Youtube videos with sound suddenly becoming mute with slowed down video motion and the cursor then disappears with no way to resume using Linux unless I turn off then on the computer which asks me to load from a CD or DVD.

I then click simultaneously the keys "Ctrl" + "Alt" + "Del" which invites me to then click on the key "F12" which takes me to the created MX Linux (and other options), but I choose the MX Linux February created option which takes me to the Desktop screen.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link and information Chris.

First time lucky, the PNG option worked and automatically uploaded in full size via the USB live stick.

My computer is varying from restarting to what appears to be a Windows bootloader (but Windows 7 erased) after about a minute to operating for up to several hours, but when operating for up to several hours, the screen is prone to making the contents disappear for a few seconds before the contents reappear automatically. That could be a hardware issue, but difficult to tell at this stage.

Other issues I've noticed are the monitor brightness dimming temporarily automatically and Youtube videos with sound suddenly becoming mute with slowed down video motion and the cursor then disappears with no way to resume using Linux unless I turn off then on the computer which asks me to load from a CD or DVD.

I then click simultaneously the keys "Ctrl" + "Alt" + "Del" which invites me to then click on the key "F12" which takes me to the created MX Linux (and other options), but I choose the MX Linux February created option which takes me to the Desktop screen.
Does this mean that you did successfully get some version of Linux installed on that machine?

Does this mean that you did successfully get some version of Linux installed on that machine?
Yes. MX Linux 19.1 has installed, but only on the USB stick due to the GRUB bootloader errors.

The GRUB bootloader must be how I come to have Windows fonts in addition to Liberation Serif and other Linux fonts.

Viewing this link, SAMBA is also an option, but as I have no plans to further use M$ Windows, once the technical problems are eliminated, SAMBA probably wouldn't be applicable to anyone who just wishes to use Linux from now on:

Last edited:
As it would take some time for me to learn how to correctly and safely partition my hard drive which has "No Signal" during the Start Up and Restarts, which gives the impression (together with Windows fonts included) that elements of Windows remain on this computer after all, and as I'm at square one, I may be best trying to install MX Linux 17 onto my hard drive as a temporary measure. I'll only do this a very last resort if all other options fail.

Update: As I write, I am currently downloading an ISO file of MX 19.1 from the Torrent option, which is faster, and if any technical hitches occur, they'll more than likely occur after it's downloaded.

I'll then try to get Unetbootin to install MX 19.1, as I tried Balena Etcher and MX's own program, but neither did anything.

Although PC Linux OS is also a viable option, I'll stick to persevering with my original top choice - MX 19.1 and hopefully will get somewhere.

I can't find any means to open up my computer, although I have resprayed with a Can dust dispenser the external hole openings while the computer is switched off.

Intermittent occurrences of one or more of the following still occur:-

The switch to a black screen then back to the correct screen

Freezing whereby the cursor is hanging and can't be used

Freezing whereby the cursor is invisible

Automatic restarts

However, I'm using all options available in the hope that both the technical faults and MX 19.1's GRUB bootloader fault are eliminated so I can run MX from my hard drive.

Last edited:
The Torrent option via Transmission is longer after all as it has seeding to process, but I'm trying any avenues from the MX web site and relating to MX 19.1 within the distro to try to get it installed with the GRUB bootloader correctly intact.

Once that barrier is overcome so I can run MX from my Hard Drive instead of just the USB stick, as at present, if the screen/cursor freezing, automatic restarting issues continue, I can then concentrate on them in the hope that MX will be installed correctly and the technical issues can all be resolved soon.

New Update: After numerous attempts to try to get MX Linux 19.1 to download then, this time, Unetbootin, the download froze and, while a song was playing on Youtube, the screen turned white and froze so I had to, once again, turn off my computer at the tower and start again.

Update 2: I have successfully installed MX Linux 17 from an old USB stick onto my Desktop computer, but as the technical problems of intermittent freezing, automatic restarting etc were continuing, I tried to open up the computer which was not as easy as I thought, as the side panels won't budge so I'm asking for assistance from a family member, as all the local computer shops are closed until further notice due to the pandemic.

Meanwhile, pending removing the rest of the dust inaccessible fro,m the outside of my Desktop comptuter, I will at least be able to use MX Linux 17, which I believe can be upgraded to MX 18 as a temporary stopgap in preparation for MX 19.1 and will use this Laptop until I regain access to the Desktop that I mainly use.

Balena Etcher's ISO image creator and MX's own ISO image creator didn't work, so I'll try Unetbootin. I might also attempt to partition my hard drives provided I do safely and with sufficient hard drive space for my needs.

Last edited:

Members online