Terminal not responding

I am tempted to suggest an uninstall and reinstall of Gnome Terminal at Software Manager....although it would be of great interest to know just what casued this out of character hiccup for LM 20.3

20.3 is one of the most stable Linux Mints I know....so this quite extraordinary.

whaddayareckon, Chris ?....reinstall it ?

I just gave terminal a quick run on my wife's pc (20.3) and all there seems to be quite ok

It updated last night.

Are there any updates pending on your pc, David ?

I am looking at a tri-part troubleshooting and workaround approach.

I'll post this then continue

Do you have any Timeshift snapshots David....from before this hiccup ?

Aah, he's changed chairs (been to Brian's place) could be blood on the streets if Te wants to use her PC. Lol.

He's gone offline to catch some zzz's

Don't blame him !.....nah Te's cool....have to pick her up from work shortly......Tea is in the process of cooking

My approach would be to
  1. Check for availability of a Timeshift snapshot from prior to the troubles
  2. Install an alternative terminal package such as MATE to check if the problems persist
  3. Uninstall and reinstall gnome-terminal which is the CLI interface for Cinnamon
With both 2 and 3 you have to look at how to install them from other than the defective Terminal interface.

Wiz

I did do update yesterday, none pending now. I will have to look at timeshift , I did have it running but have not checked lately timeshift "not available" oops think the thumbdrive in another pc will have to take a look, I really thank you, Condobloke and Wizardformoz for you help , I will have to call it a night, will try your suggestions tomorrow and post results and again thank you both for your help.

With both 2 and 3 you have to look at how to install them from other than the defective Terminal interface.
So, via the Software Manager...?.......both the mate and gnome terminal are in there.....David could simply hit remove for gnome terminal and then hit install to either gnome terminal or to Mate Terminal

Timeshift would be even better if he has an earlier snapshot

Te & Tea are both calling my name
gtg

You go, and David thanks for the heads up and get a good sleep.

Brian with both 2. and 3. he can effect them from either Software Manager, or from Synaptic Manager - both installing and uninstalling via point and click.

When he's bright-eyed and bushy-tailed tomorrow, and he lets us know about Timeshift snapshots available, we can plan further if need be.

David both Brian and I are Aussies living about 150km apart in Queensland and New South Wales so allow for timezones but there are others here who can pick up and run with the ball once they have digested what has transpired above.

Cheers

Wiz

David, when you come back online, run the following for me....making sure to copy and paste the command into the terminal

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

it will ask for your password after you hit enter....has the process/reaction changed at all from earlier ?

Also, have you had any graphics card problems with or during this install ?

I have Mint Cinnamon 20.3 running as a VM and that command works fine...I can't help as I've never had your problem.
t3603.gif

My Terminal in Mint Cinnamon 20.3 looks like this...
2022-11-17-20-48.png

Yours doesn't...good advice is look at Timeshift as mentioned...may help but if not whatever has caused this is anyone's guess...you may have to re-install Mint.
m1512.gif

This thread goes back to 2012, I really don't think this would make a difference, but it's worth to give a shot.

Alternatively, run,

Code:
reset -c

Since, the terminal does not show any response, I don't think this would work either.

If the problem still persist, we can try installing another terminal.
Open software center and search for Alacritty and install it.
Then try to run some commands others mentioned above to see whether they work.

Reset?

How to reset terminal in Linux​

2 April 2022

Definitely worth a try. Number 1 gets my vote.

1. The best method to reset your terminal is with the reset command. This will wipe everything that is currently in the terminal, including the scrollback buffer (in most terminal applications), and should fix issues such as a bugged terminal or one that is displaying strange characters.
Type in... reset ......hit enter

or

If a process has taken over your terminal, and you are trying to return to a normal prompt, you can usually exit most processes with a Ctrl + C keyboard combination.

or

Keep in mind that you can always exit a terminal session and start a new one in the worst case scenario.

Type in ... exit ....then hit enter

Last edited:
clear usually works for me. Even if I can't always see what I'm typing, or it's all garbled up with binary/ascii characters.

But if it doesn't, I use two other methods.
If you're using a GUI, and you know the name of your console/terminal program.. do this...
Open up another console...
ps -ef | grep xterm (or whatever console you're using)
kill (pid)
Usually the first login will almost always have a lower PID than the second window.

If you're not using a GUI.
Hold down the alt key and press F2, or F3, or anything up to F7.
This will open another login screen. Then repeat the steps above, with a slight difference.
ps -ef | grep tty (usually agetty or something like that).
kill (pid) again, use the lower numbered one for the first locked up login screen.

Can you open and install software from the Software Center? If yes then please install another terminal application. And then use the command line to reinstall the original terminal application, should fix it

This is taken from the Help Page of the Terminal

This from the Help page of the Terminal

Terminal › Troubleshooting »
Reset your Terminal state
After viewing a non-text file by mistake, or launching some command, it can happen the Terminal screen is unresponsive, has strange letters printed when you press keys. You can recover your Terminal in the following ways:
Reset
Reset Terminal screen.
Press the menu button in the top-right corner of the window and select Advanced ▸ Reset.
To obtain the prompt press Enter.
Reset and Clear
In addition to resetting your Terminal, Reset and Clear clears the visible Terminal screen space and the scrollback contents. To Reset and Clear your Terminal:
Press the menu button in the top-right corner of the window and select Advanced ▸ Reset and Clear.
Reset and Clear provides similar functionality as the terminal command reset.

This is taken from the Help Page of the Terminal

This from the Help page of the Terminal

Terminal › Troubleshooting »
Reset your Terminal state
After viewing a non-text file by mistake, or launching some command, it can happen the Terminal screen is unresponsive, has strange letters printed when you press keys. You can recover your Terminal in the following ways:
Reset
Reset Terminal screen.
Press the menu button in the top-right corner of the window and select Advanced ▸ Reset.
Reset and Clear
In addition to resetting your Terminal, Reset and Clear clears the visible Terminal screen space and the scrollback contents. To Reset and Clear your Terminal:
Press the menu button in the top-right corner of the window and select Advanced ▸ Reset and Clear.
Reset and Clear provides similar functionality as the terminal command reset.

Very handy to know...learn something everyday...Did the OP fix the problem ? :confused:

bob466 said
Did the OP fix the problem ?

Waiting for David to reply

Members online